Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Patrick Conroy

Default Woodworker to Carpenter Woes...

So maybe Norm takes a ding as a carpenter turned woodworker, but I think
I'm getting a feel for the other side of the equation.

While putting up a small fort/playhouse in the backyard - I couldn't help
myself from:

- Running the 4x4's thru the jointer/planer to straighten them out and
finish them
- Putting a 1/4" roundover on the stock.
- Looking for the "best side" on a 2x4 destined to be framing material
- Reaching for the Japanese Pull saw to finish off an inside corner
- Sneaking up on a cut via seven trips to the miter saw
- Noticing that I'm off by about an 1/8th inch on some joinery

The real mental dichotomy surfaced around the framing nailer: (1) wow, what
a cool kick-a$$, Tim Allen, power tool (2) ohmygawd butt joints and exposed
nail heads everywhere!