dean

Default What can I do with this hickory?

I've got 20 2' logs of healthy hickory that my neighbor cut down. I
normally would season it and burn it for firewood, but maybe there is
something else to do with the stuff?

BBQs?

Tips welcomed!

Dean

dean

I have to add here that I am not a wood worker. Nothing with lathes
please!

Leon

Go to your local wood working store that sells turning blanks. They may be
interested in buying some from you. It is a beautiful wood but in 2'
lengths is limited in usefulness past the fireplace. Seasoned it does burn
nice and hot.

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to add here that I am not a wood worker. Nothing with lathes
please!

SwampBug

BBQ pit. . .

--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"dean" wrote in message =
oups.com...
I've got 20 2' logs of healthy hickory that my neighbor cut down. I
normally would season it and burn it for firewood, but maybe there is
something else to do with the stuff?=20

BBQs?=20

Tips welcomed!

Dean

Wilson

Strangle the neighbor.
That would have made beautiful flooring cabinetry, or furniture. It's more
attractive than oak, with a better color, I think.
If you can get even four foot logs, it's fine to cut for lumber, but more
trouble than 8-10 footers, of course. I've always lusted for long boards,
but they are rarely used except for flooring and large bookcases, so I wind
up cutting them 2-4 ft for cabinetry.
Wilson
"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to add here that I am not a wood worker. Nothing with lathes
please!

Tom Banes

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 17:56:19 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

Unfortunate that the wood is in 2-foot lengths. Bowls, handles,
knobs, boxes, etc.

Interesting this pops up now. Yesterday I was up at some property I
have in far NE Texas, cutiing up a big (30" caliper) white oak that
had tumbled to start the woodpile for autumn. Oak was newly down and
had a real weird crotch at one spot. Cut around that, as no one likes
to split crotch wood (small grin).

While waiting for tractor to make second pick up run, decided to watse
some gas and quarter sawed that crotch. Wowser, pretty grain running
through it! That one's going to the local Wood World guy - maybe an
exchange in the offing! Also QS'd an old Sweet Gum stump that had been
standing by the wood pile for about 6 years - I'll see if he wants
that too.

Anyway, back to Hickory (Hickry in TX). I've got about 20'+ of trunk
left on one that got hit by lightnng 5 years ago. Split the trunk
about 4" off the ground. I took the small suff for BBQ pit and left
the trunk. It's off the ground, sort of hanging in the air. About
20-25" caliper. Are you telling me it's worth wacking up? I can get to
it with a tractor. so 8' lengths are easy, probably get 2 maybe 3
hunks that size.

Is it worth the sweat equity? I thought Hickory was, like Bo-Darc
(yeh, yeh, Bois D'Arc), unworkable.

Regards.

dadiOH

dean wrote:
I have to add here that I am not a wood worker. Nothing with lathes
please!

Well, that shoots down rotary veneer

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Wilson

YES, it's no real problem. I have floors, drawer fronts, and doors of
hickry. There is occasional mixed up grain, but I've never had a problem
with power tools. Some will cup on you, but you'll get some great boards.
It's worth kiln drying, so you don't have to wait for it to be ready to use.
Wilson
"Tom Banes" wrote in message
[...]

C & M

Juuuust right for small cases, jewelry boxes, etc. Some years ago I made a
wormy chestnut case with loosely fit finger joints and hinged top as a case
for my stainless Ruger, single -six. It would look a lot better with a case
colored revolver. But, that was back in the days when you could display your
firearms, lock up the ammo and train the kids to admire and ask dad to
unlock the cabinet to show them the revolver.
Later,
Chiz

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got 20 2' logs of healthy hickory that my neighbor cut down. I
normally would season it and burn it for firewood, but maybe there is
something else to do with the stuff?

BBQs?

Tips welcomed!

Dean

Nasty

Osage Orange (Bois-D'Arc) is far from unworkable....for the turner at least.

snip

Is it worth the sweat equity? I thought Hickory was, like Bo-Darc
(yeh, yeh, Bois D'Arc), unworkable.

woodworker88

Tool handles. This is the main use for hickory that I know of. Get
out that spokeshave and start carving. Rehandle all your hammers,
axes, hatchets, and then give them to all your friends.

Prometheus

On 5 Jun 2005 08:38:47 -0700, "dean" wrote:

I've got 20 2' logs of healthy hickory that my neighbor cut down. I
normally would season it and burn it for firewood, but maybe there is
something else to do with the stuff?

BBQs?

Tips welcomed!

Hickory is often used for tool handles- if you've got any yard tools
with broken handles, it'd be a good thing to carve some replacements
out of. (A decent jackknife would work fine for the job, and you
could make several in short order if you had a mind to.)

Otherwise, it'd be nice in a smoker, if you've got one.

Robert Bonomi

In article .com,
dean wrote:
I've got 20 2' logs of healthy hickory that my neighbor cut down. I
normally would season it and burn it for firewood, but maybe there is
something else to do with the stuff?

BBQs?

It can be used as a substitute for almond wood, in the manufacture of
swizzle sticks that are used in certain drinks served to members of the
medical profession.

You'll be sorreee!

Google for "It's a Hickory daiquiri, Doc!" for the entire sordid story.

Tom Banes

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:53:38 -0700, "Nasty" wrote:

Osage Orange (Bois-D'Arc) is far from unworkable....for the turner at least.

So I've heard. I've got tons of it in the bottoms, near the Sulphur
River. Locals say it'll wear out a chain saw chain in one cut, so I
just leave it be. Locals also say it's the best for pilings or fence
posts as it doesn't rot real quickly in ground contact. Maybe I'll
waste an old chain and take some to the wood guy.

Regards.

Dave in Fairfax

Tom Banes wrote:
So I've heard. I've got tons of it in the bottoms, near the Sulphur
River. Locals say it'll wear out a chain saw chain in one cut, so I
just leave it be. Locals also say it's the best for pilings or fence
posts as it doesn't rot real quickly in ground contact. Maybe I'll
waste an old chain and take some to the wood guy.

I turn it all the time. It's gorgeous when freshly cut and golden,
turns cream and brown with UV exposure. It turns easiest when fresh or
wet, but with sharp tools can be turned when dry. You might want to
soak it in LDD before turning if it's dry to see if that'll make it
easier to turn, I've never bothered to do that though. The bowmakers
will take all you can give them, they prefer it over all other woods for
bowmaking.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work