Default Deck cleaning/stripping questions

I am a deck cleaning newbie. I've cleaned my pine deck as it was
extremely dirty by scrubbing with Sherwin-Williams Revive deck cleaner.
Most of the dirt was removed but there are still some areas that have a
dirty look to them because I guess I didn't scrub hard enough
(I did this by myself and the deck is pretty large, so it was tough to
get everything without going over it twice and spending hours on end).
I have since sealed with Thompson's Advantage.

And now that I look a the deck, it's really dirty in some sections and
I should have cleaned it better. I want to strip off the Thompson's
Sealer and clean it and seal it again.

What product is the best to use to strip it and since i just sealed it
will it be hard to get off? Also, do I need to use a cleaner after I
use the stripper? I still have some of the Revive cleaner.

I also have seen that Thompson's is really not rated that well as a
sealer. Any recommendations? BTW, I really don't want to have to go the
pressure washer route.

Thanks!

CNT

Are some spots rotten? If so, simply needs (partly) replacement.

Another thing I could think of is sand the desk with whatever sander.

Chuck

Most of the dirt was removed but there are still some areas that have a
dirty look to them because I guess I didn't scrub hard enough

No rotten wood, just didn't get some of the dirt off...

Bruce T

The difficulty here is that what might be perfectly fine to me might be
completely unacceptable to you. (and vice versa). I've used a couple of
different cleaners on wood decks with good results (for me). The most
effective seemed to be the ones with oxalic acid in them (power cleaners
mixed with water). I believe that Olympic made the one that I used a few
years back, but I'm not absolutely certain about that. I've always had good
results with Olympic sealers. I know nothing about Thompson's Advantage,
but if it's anything like their Waterseal(?), that's basically a wax and
when I used it on I later regretted it.

Power washers make me nervous---I've seen someone destroy a sandstone wall
cap using a power washer and the idea of using such a device on wood gives
me the willies---especially if it's MY wood.

Bruce

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Lew Hodgett

Bruce T wrote:

Power washers make me nervous---I've seen someone destroy a sandstone wall
cap using a power washer and the idea of using such a device on wood gives
me the willies---especially if it's MY wood.

Absolutely no question about it.

A power washer improperly used is an invitation to a disaster; however,
properly used, it is a great tool.

If you are going to use one, DON'T GET A TOY.

You want at least 3,000 PSIG and 4 GPM which will translate into at
least a 10 HP gasoline engine to drive it.

You also need a turbo nozzle.

Practice cleaning the side walks and drive way first.

After a couple of hours you will have developed a pretty good technique,
and the results on a wood deck will amaze you.

SFWIW, I've cleaned teak on a boat which requires paying attention since
if you are not careful, you will blow out the soft fibers and leave
something that can only be defined as "Ugly on an Ape", not to mention,
expensive to repair.

A typical wood deck around a home is not nearly so critical, unless it
is made of teak G.

Lew

Badger

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Bruce T wrote:

Power washers make me nervous---I've seen someone destroy a sandstone
wall cap using a power washer and the idea of using such a device on
wood gives me the willies---especially if it's MY wood.

Absolutely no question about it.

A power washer improperly used is an invitation to a disaster; however,
properly used, it is a great tool.

If you are going to use one, DON'T GET A TOY.

Practice cleaning the side walks and drive way first.

And don't forget your safety gear, a friend of mine almost died from
Guillain-Barré Syndrome caused by the inhaled micro-particles of green
slime....Power washers create a fog of more than just water!

Niel.
no(SPAM)vasys

Badger wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Bruce T wrote:

Power washers make me nervous---I've seen someone destroy a sandstone
wall cap using a power washer and the idea of using such a device on
wood gives me the willies---especially if it's MY wood.

Absolutely no question about it.

A power washer improperly used is an invitation to a disaster;
however, properly used, it is a great tool.

If you are going to use one, DON'T GET A TOY.

Practice cleaning the side walks and drive way first.

And don't forget your safety gear, a friend of mine almost died from
Guillain-Barré Syndrome caused by the inhaled micro-particles of green
slime....Power washers create a fog of more than just water!

Niel.

From the Guillain-Barré/CIDP Syndrome Foundation International's web
site ( http://www.guillain-barre.com/overview.html )

" The cause of GBS is not known and there is no effective treatment."

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Definitely avoid the pressure washer. They can rip softwoods to pieces, even
if you are very careful.

-j

toller

Don't be such a perfectionist. A little dirt never hurt anyone.

I have no idea how to remove the Thompsons, except to let it age. It lasts
about 2 years on my dock. (It is cheap, goes on easy, and I doubt anything
else would last a whole lot longer.) I suggest you live with it for a
couple years and then clean it again.

Mike

[...]

I recently tried Olympic Deck Cleaner. Its pre-mixed... bought a 2.5
gallon jug, put it in the pump spray deal, spray it on, wait about 10
minutes, wash it off. You can use a light syntheic brush while your're
waiting, but I was surprised at how well it worked. I cleaned my teak
deck furniture, and sealed it with Cabot's Australian Teak Oil which I
will also use on the PT deck once I get the deck cleaned (this weekend I
hope). One thing you don't do is use any of these acid-based cleaners
with a power spray. I have a 2300 psi gas unit and it will drill holes
through PT 2 X 4's in a minute if they have that stuff on them. It
softens the "bung" or core of the wood and it can flush out like
nobody's business. The rings or grain stand up better, but I've loanded
my pressure washer to friends (with this warning) and seen them create
moon crater on their decks.

Mike

STOVEBOLT

Use the pressure washer technique. First of all if you can't rent a
hot water pressure washer, hire someone that has one to do the job.
Water temps around 190 deg. and around 2000 psi do an outstanding job
with no detergent or bleach. This equipment is so effective, higher
pressure or a more concentrated nozzle used too close to the surface
is unnecesary to acomplish the task and those are the conditions that
contribute to the wood damage.
STOVEBOLT