Mike

Default Rebuilding deck in spring, questions.

My current deck is pretty small and I want to extend it out from the
house about 10 feet and reposition the stairs. Do I need to have an
architect or engineer check it out first or can I start pouring the
footings and just begin?

chillermfg

May need to pull permit. Check with your local county or city dept regarding
decks. Follow the codes as far as the construction goes. 5/4 deck boards
require 16" OC and are more expensive than the 2 x 6 boards which can use
24" OC. Keep in mind height is also an issue as far as railing / baluster
and stair tread.

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
My current deck is pretty small and I want to extend it out from the
house about 10 feet and reposition the stairs. Do I need to have an
architect or engineer check it out first or can I start pouring the
footings and just begin?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
My current deck is pretty small and I want to extend it out from the
house about 10 feet and reposition the stairs. Do I need to have an
architect or engineer check it out first or can I start pouring the
footings and just begin?

You may need a permit. To get a permit you may need a drawing showing the
location. You can do that yourself. Call the town hall for that
information.

Buy a book on building decks and you can get all the information you need
for construction.

Jeff Cochran

On 29 Dec 2004 11:21:36 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

My current deck is pretty small and I want to extend it out from the
house about 10 feet and reposition the stairs. Do I need to have an
architect or engineer check it out first or can I start pouring the
footings and just begin?

Locally, a deck more than 100 square feet in size or more than three
feet off the ground needs a permit, and that requires plans that meet
code. More than six feet off the ground requires an engineer's or
architect's stamp, though locally the lumber yards will do engineered
drawings for your deck, often at little or no charge.

Jeff