DCH

Default odd bandsaw question.....longish...

Greetings All,

This may just be me or my blade, but I was recently given a 14' bandsaw
from a friend, it's an older model, made overseas...it takes a 92 1/2"
blade...it had a metal cutting blade on it, the motor is huge, and there
are 3 speeds 750,1250, 2650 fpm ( I think)...

I tuned it up as best I could...getting the wheels co-planer and putting
on a wood cutting blade, cleaning everything off, adjusting the cool
blocks and roller behind the blade....

It seems to cut fine, I even re-sawed a 2x6...the thing is the saw is
very loud...and I do mean loud...I have a smaller three wheel band saw
(60" blade) that is not nearly as loud...its almost as if the table is
resonating, amplifying the pitch of the blade, it sound like the squeal
of a frightened dog...but continuous....

I thought maybe someone has went through this before and could offer
ideas on how I can quiet this thing down a bit...it seems like a pretty
good saw...

Thanks in advance for your help...

DCH
tom

DCH wrote: snip It seems to cut fine, I even re-sawed a 2x6...the
thing is the saw is
very loud...and I do mean loud...I have a smaller three wheel band saw
(60" blade) that is not nearly as loud...its almost as if the table is
resonating, amplifying the pitch of the blade, it sound like the squeal

of a frightened dog...but continuous....snip

Maybe check the bearings(roller behind the
blade)? Or possibly the blade tension... Tom

JuanKnighter

Check the belts.

Steve

It sounds like a bad bearing to me: There should be bearings on each of
the 14" wheels, as well as in the motor. Since it's a three-speed,
there's also another shaft between the motor & the lower wheel, right?
There should be bearings on that too. Check 'em all, as well as the
ones behind the blade, as previously mentioned.

--Steve

DCH wrote:

It seems to cut fine, I even re-sawed a 2x6...the thing is the saw is
very loud...and I do mean loud...I have a smaller three wheel band saw
(60" blade) that is not nearly as loud...its almost as if the table is
resonating, amplifying the pitch of the blade, it sound like the squeal
of a frightened dog...but continuous....

I thought maybe someone has went through this before and could offer
ideas on how I can quiet this thing down a bit...it seems like a pretty
good saw...

Thanks in advance for your help...

DCH

George

DCH wrote:

It seems to cut fine, I even re-sawed a 2x6...the thing is the saw is
very loud...and I do mean loud...I have a smaller three wheel band saw
(60" blade) that is not nearly as loud...its almost as if the table is
resonating, amplifying the pitch of the blade, it sound like the squeal
of a frightened dog...but continuous....

I thought maybe someone has went through this before and could offer
ideas on how I can quiet this thing down a bit...it seems like a pretty
good saw...

Thanks in advance for your help...

If it were a Delta, dollars to dogturds the blade guard was rubbing against
the upper wheel.

Bad bearings flop and rumble, loose belts squeal and don't cut wood well. I
go for outside friction, perhaps even the blade guides.

All good previous advice, I only add, attack suspicious bearings with a
spray lube, one spot at a time. If the squeal stops, you know where
it's coming from. If it starts up again, you know what to replace.

Dzine

And even if your bearings are running smooth glue some of the 'sleeping
mat' foam inside the machine for that extra something.