Notal Kyder

Default Cedar or pressure treated lumber for fencing.

I'm about to replace a stretch of fence along with my neighbor. I know
cedar looks beter but what will last longer? Will PT hold up even
better?

Notal

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I prefer the cedar only for the fact that the pressure treated crap I've
bought warps like a son of a gun.
Put up a clothes line and used a couple 4x4 PT posts. The damn thing has
warped so much that I'm gonna have to redo it now (clothes hit the ground).
I have similar experience with a small fence I built around my garden.
Cedar from now on and a few coats of Penofin every so often.
Cheers,
cc

"Notal Kyder" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm about to replace a stretch of fence along with my neighbor. I know
cedar looks beter but what will last longer? Will PT hold up even
better?

Notal

loutent

Hi Natal,

Agree with cc here. I built an arbor with
PT 4x4 posts about 5 years ago. One post
warped so badly that after 2 years I ran
kerfs every 1/2 inch for about 3 feet to try
to "straighten in out". Didn't work very
well - worst than ever now.

Got to do it over in cedar or something as it
looks like hell. Stay away from PT for this.

Still holds roses tho.

Lou

In article . com,
Notal Kyder wrote:

I'm about to replace a stretch of fence along with my neighbor. I know
cedar looks beter but what will last longer? Will PT hold up even
better?

Notal

Michael White

Notal Kyder ) wrote on Tuesday 31 May 2005 05:55 pm:

I'm about to replace a stretch of fence along with my neighbor. I know
cedar looks beter but what will last longer? Will PT hold up even
better?

Notal

I bought the treated stuff from Home Depot - the 1x3s(?) that sit on the
ground are already rotting away. Go with cedar for those, at a minimum.
Or, if you've got the cash, try the vinyl stuff. I made a section of
garden fence out of some of the 3' stuff, and it's great to work with. If
I had known nearly all of my fence sections were going to rot away when I
bought my house, I would've gone vinyl and replaced them all at once.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer
Lawrence Wasserman

In article . com,
Notal Kyder wrote:
I'm about to replace a stretch of fence along with my neighbor. I know
cedar looks beter but what will last longer? Will PT hold up even
better?

Notal

It may be comparing apples to oranges considering the new PT chemicals,
the climate & soil conditions in your area vs mine, and the type &
quality of cedar available, but I have cedar fencing on PT posts set
directly on the ground. The posts have outlasted 2 sets of fencing and
probably will outlast the 3rd.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland