scott

Default Proper fasteners for ACQ treated lumber?

I recently began a constructing a swing set/fort for the kids. The lumber is
ACQ treated. I followed the advice of the salesman at Lowe's and HD and
picked up carriage bolts, washers, and lock nuts. These were a mix of
electroplated zinc coated as well as galvanized. None of the home centers
state how thick the coating is on their fasteners.

I assembled a portion of the playset, and a week later I needed to partially
disassemble it to make a modification. I was shocked to find the portion of
the carriage bolt and washer which had been in contact with the wood had much
of its coating eaten away and was turning orange.

I have checked, and the prices for these fasteners in stainless steel is
higher than I want to pay. Does anyone have any advice on which fasteners I
should use? Am I over reacting to the corrosion I found after only one week?
The manager at a local deck building supply store told me that this is normal
and not to worry about it.

These bolts need to be 3/8" x 5 1/2".

Thanks,
Scott

zxcvbob

scott wrote:

[...]

I'm getting ready to try 16d common nails and see what happens. If/when
they rust out, I'll replace them with hot dipped galvanized lag bolts. I
don't think my father had any problems with steel fence staples rusting out
when he used Wolmanized posts.

From what I've read, you're *supposed* to use stainless steel, or hot
dipped galvanized, or 1/2" diameter plain steel bolts for ACQ lumber. I
bet copper nails would work best. (Do they still make copper nails?)

Best regards,
Bob
Retiredff

scott wrote:
I recently began a constructing a swing set/fort for the kids. The
lumber is ACQ treated. I followed the advice of the salesman at
Lowe's and HD and picked up carriage bolts, washers, and lock nuts.
These were a mix of electroplated zinc coated as well as galvanized.
None of the home centers state how thick the coating is on their
fasteners.

I assembled a portion of the playset, and a week later I needed to
partially disassemble it to make a modification. I was shocked to
find the portion of the carriage bolt and washer which had been in
contact with the wood had much of its coating eaten away and was
turning orange.

You have two choices. Stainless steel. or hot double-dipped galvanized.
Those are the two options that
ACQ p.t. wood makers recommend.

Joe Bobst

I have checked, and the prices for these fasteners in stainless steel is
higher than I want to pay.

You're being penny wise and dollar foolish. The difference in cost between the
SS and galvanized is less than you'll spend on a restaurant meal. Look at it
this way, the SS works as it should. When the kids get their drivers' licenses
you can disassemble the playset without the aggravation of rusted fasteners.
Keep the hardware for other projects, or sell the whole thing to another
generation and keep it out of the landfill.

Joe

Bob S.

scott wrote in message . ..
[...]

I heard today that Lowes is paying for 30 new homes that are falling
apart within 6 to 8 months of construction. The lumber, including ACQ
lumber, was purchased at Lowes and the sales people did not tell them
to use special fasteners. Sixteen penny common nails are corroding
completely away in 6-8 months time. And contrary to projections of ACQ
prices being "a little bit higher", they are almost double the older
prices. Another government boondoggle!

Bob