Bob S.

Default Proper fasteners for ACQ treated lumber?

scott wrote in message . ..
I recently began a constructing a swing set/fort for the kids. The lumber is
ACQ treated. I followed the advice of the salesman at Lowe's and HD and
picked up carriage bolts, washers, and lock nuts. These were a mix of
electroplated zinc coated as well as galvanized. None of the home centers
state how thick the coating is on their fasteners.

I assembled a portion of the playset, and a week later I needed to partially
disassemble it to make a modification. I was shocked to find the portion of
the carriage bolt and washer which had been in contact with the wood had much
of its coating eaten away and was turning orange.

I have checked, and the prices for these fasteners in stainless steel is
higher than I want to pay. Does anyone have any advice on which fasteners I
should use? Am I over reacting to the corrosion I found after only one week?
The manager at a local deck building supply store told me that this is normal
and not to worry about it.

These bolts need to be 3/8" x 5 1/2".

Thanks,
Scott

I heard today that Lowes is paying for 30 new homes that are falling
apart within 6 to 8 months of construction. The lumber, including ACQ
lumber, was purchased at Lowes and the sales people did not tell them
to use special fasteners. Sixteen penny common nails are corroding
completely away in 6-8 months time. And contrary to projections of ACQ
prices being "a little bit higher", they are almost double the older
prices. Another government boondoggle!

Bob