Ted Borck

Default New Pressure Treated Lumber

My neighbor, noting that I was making repairs to my garage, advised
that the new process used in producing pressure treated lumber caused
nails, screws to fail, due to the chemicals used to treat the wood.

According to him, the new process treated wood was required after Jan
1, 2004.

He advised that apparently it didn't matter whether you used galvanized or
stainless fasteners, the chemical(s) used would cause the metal to corrode.

--
Ted Borck
m Ransley

He is wrong on stainless

RB

He's correct with respect to galvanized and ungalvanized metals. I'd
suspect that at least 316 stainless would hold up. The contractors
around me have been out replacing joist hangers and fasteners that were
recently installed using the wrong materials because of this.

I predict that as a consequence of this change there will be a number of
building failures in a few years. The new PT lumber that I've seen
doesn't carry any warning about this added "feature" either.

RB

Ted Borck wrote:
My neighbor, noting that I was making repairs to my garage, advised
that the new process used in producing pressure treated lumber caused
nails, screws to fail, due to the chemicals used to treat the wood.

According to him, the new process treated wood was required after Jan
1, 2004.

He advised that apparently it didn't matter whether you used galvanized or
stainless fasteners, the chemical(s) used would cause the metal to corrode.

--
Ted Borck

m Ransley

Alot decks and porches will fail, and the Lawyers will have a feast

JerryMouse

Ted Borck wrote:
My neighbor, noting that I was making repairs to my garage, advised
that the new process used in producing pressure treated lumber caused
nails, screws to fail, due to the chemicals used to treat the wood.

According to him, the new process treated wood was required after Jan
1, 2004.

He advised that apparently it didn't matter whether you used
galvanized or stainless fasteners, the chemical(s) used would cause
the metal to corrode.

Yes, but at least the thousands of children who died from gnawing on the old
arsenic-treated formula will not have died in vain. For all of the above, we
should give thanks to our benevolent bureacrats and give thanks at the alter
of pseudo-science.

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Ted Borck wrote:
My neighbor, noting that I was making repairs to my garage, advised
that the new process used in producing pressure treated lumber caused
nails, screws to fail, due to the chemicals used to treat the wood.

According to him, the new process treated wood was required after Jan
1, 2004.

He advised that apparently it didn't matter whether you used galvanized or
stainless fasteners, the chemical(s) used would cause the metal to corrode.

--
Ted Borck

I think your neighbor should have waited til April 1st to tell you.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

TinMan1332

Alot decks and porches will fail, and the Lawyers will have a feast

Maybe, only time will tell.

However, every "real" lumber yard I have traded with has the fastner
requirements clearly posted and is giving out a manufacturer hand out (along
with verbal advice) with each PT purchase.

It's the big box stores who are lax on letting anyone know of associated
fastener problems.

J.P.
Jim

If true, I'm ****ed! I built a 30X13 foot deck w/joist spaced 12" OC
last summer using hardware from the building supply store and ACQ lumber.

Sounds like a valid case for a class-action suit. But sue the government? HA!
Just like the MTBE additive in gasoline now found to pollute ground water.

Ted Borck wrote in message ...
My neighbor, noting that I was making repairs to my garage, advised
that the new process used in producing pressure treated lumber caused
nails, screws to fail, due to the chemicals used to treat the wood.

According to him, the new process treated wood was required after Jan
1, 2004.

He advised that apparently it didn't matter whether you used galvanized or
stainless fasteners, the chemical(s) used would cause the metal to corrode.

--
Ted Borck

RB

JerryMouse wrote:
Ted Borck wrote:

My neighbor, noting that I was making repairs to my garage, advised
that the new process used in producing pressure treated lumber caused
nails, screws to fail, due to the chemicals used to treat the wood.

According to him, the new process treated wood was required after Jan
1, 2004.

He advised that apparently it didn't matter whether you used
galvanized or stainless fasteners, the chemical(s) used would cause
the metal to corrode.

Yes, but at least the thousands of children who died from gnawing on the old
arsenic-treated formula will not have died in vain.

Please name three? What child gnaws on pressure treated wood?

RFB