Chronos

Default Thinning Poly

Hi guys,

I have been using Minwax Poly products. Most products say not to thin
poly products. But, I feel the poly products are to thick for my needs.
What's the best thinner to add to poly products.

Thanks guys,

Michael
Upscale

"Chronos" wrote in message news:EbWle.417
I have been using Minwax Poly products. Most products say not to thin
poly products. But, I feel the poly products are to thick for my needs.
What's the best thinner to add to poly products.

Any chance it lists a thinner on the side of the can?

Baron

You can use just about any hydrocarbon solvent. You can even use
acetone but it's really for spraying heavy coats. I like odorless mineral
spirits, thinning about 20%. It enables you to maintain a wet edge while
brushing. If you want really slow evaporating, try about 10 drops of
kerosene per pint of polyurethane.

Good Luck.

"Chronos" wrote in message
Hi guys,

I have been using Minwax Poly products. Most products say not to thin
poly products. But, I feel the poly products are to thick for my needs.
What's the best thinner to add to poly products.

Thanks guys,

Michael

stoutman

Be careful wit hacetone. It is REALLY toxic.

news:32c96$42983e9b$cf672ffb$3368@allthenewsgroups .com...

"Chronos" wrote in message
Hi guys,

I have been using Minwax Poly products. Most products say not to thin
poly products. But, I feel the poly products are to thick for my needs.
What's the best thinner to add to poly products.

Thanks guys,

Michael

Han

"stoutman" wrote in news:ln_le.6704$_z6.321345
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Be careful wit hacetone. It is REALLY toxic.

If you acetone, that's fairly innocuous. Certainly not as toxic as
benzene.

--
Best regards
Han

J. Clarke

Han wrote:

"stoutman" wrote in news:ln_le.6704$_z6.321345
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Be careful wit hacetone. It is REALLY toxic.

If you acetone, that's fairly innocuous. Certainly not as toxic as
benzene.

Stoutman has his knickers in a twist about acetone for some reason. There
was a long, long thread on this a while back.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Han

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

Stoutman has his knickers in a twist about acetone for some reason.
There was a long, long thread on this a while back.

Then, for his benefitthe following:

Acetone is (a component of) one of the normal metabolites of glucose. If
someone has a problem in his/her metabolism then you can smell acetone on
his/her breath. This is an indication of a problem, but not the cause, and
the toxicity of acetone is low. However, since pure acetone will denature
proteins, it is ***very bad*** to administer the liquid internally or
systemically. Externally there should not be a problem with small
quantities.

See:
http://www.westga.edu/
~chem/courses/chem1152/lectures/112Ap1599a/sld016.htm

--
Best regards
Han

Han

David wrote in news:6cOdnXOP6vneMQXfRVn-
:

If he thinks acetone is bad (which of course, it is), he should have
used carbon tet as a child, to clean various items...

I hope you forgot the sarcasm symbol, because of the respective MSDSs:

For "carbon tet"
From http://www.matheson-trigas.com/msds/MAT04310.pdf

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS:
INHALATION:
SHORT TERM EXPOSU irritation, digestive disorders, headache, symptoms
of drunkenness, lung congestion, kidney damage, liver damage, effects on
the brain, convulsions, coma
LONG TERM EXPOSU visual disturbances, reproductive effects, cancer
SKIN CONTACT:
SHORT TERM EXPOSU same as effects reported in short term inhalation,
rash, symptoms of drunkenness, kidney damage, liver damage
LONG TERM EXPOSU same as effects reported in long term inhalation
EYE CONTACT:
SHORT TERM EXPOSU no information on significant adverse effects
LONG TERM EXPOSU no information is available
INGESTION:
SHORT TERM EXPOSU same as effects reported in short term inhalation,
symptoms of drunkenness, lung congestion, kidney damage, liver damage
LONG TERM EXPOSU cancer

For acetone,
From http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/A0446.htm

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. May cause coughing,
dizziness, dullness, and headache. Higher concentrations can produce
central nervous system depression, narcosis, and unconsciousness.
Ingestion:
Swallowing small amounts is not likely to produce harmful effects.
Ingestion of larger amounts may produce abdominal pain, nausea and
vomiting. Aspiration into lungs can produce severe lung damage and is a
medical emergency. Other symptoms are expected to parallel inhalation.
Skin Contact:
Irritating due to defatting action on skin. Causes redness, pain, drying
and cracking of the skin.
Eye Contact:
Vapors are irritating to the eyes. Splashes may cause severe irritation,
with stinging, tearing, redness and pain.
Chronic Exposu
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may produce severe irritation or
dermatitis.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Use of alcoholic beverages enhances toxic effects. Exposure may increase
the toxic potential of chlorinated hydrocarbons, such as chloroform,
trichloroethane.
--
Best regards
Han
stoutman

Hey Clarke. Should we take Han's word for it? Maybe you should post your
Entheology link. After all, it is more credible. Right?

"Han" wrote in message
"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

[...]

Han

"stoutman" wrote in
m:

Hey Clarke. Should we take Han's word for it?

Not my words, but I certainly trust them. It's science, and I *can* get to
the real meaning of them. It's my training that enables me.

Maybe you should post your Entheology link. After all, it is more
credible. Right?

Had to look up entheology. I never heard of it before. Qualifier: In my
opinion: Now I wish I hadn't looked it up ... What a load of crap.

--
Best regards
Han
stoutman

Now if I could only learn to play the violin...

"Han" wrote in message
"stoutman" wrote in
m:

Hey Clarke. Should we take Han's word for it?

Not my words, but I certainly trust them. It's science, and I *can* get
the real meaning of them. It's my training that enables me.

Maybe you should post your Entheology link. After all, it is more
credible. Right?

Had to look up entheology. I never heard of it before. Qualifier: In my
opinion: Now I wish I hadn't looked it up ... What a load of crap.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ba r r y" wrote in message

Here we go again...

Is the dust collector grounded?

I used to have problems with the ground wire floating around the PVC when I
turned on the blower. To keep it in place, I've weighted it down by tying
it to a gallon can of acetone and just let it hand. .

Robatoy

In article ,
Chronos wrote:

Hi guys,

I have been using Minwax Poly products. Most products say not to thin
poly products. But, I feel the poly products are to thick for my needs.
What's the best thinner to add to poly products.

Thanks guys,

Michael

I always start off with a **** coat. 20% thinner or more. It crawls
deeper into the fibrous structure of the wood, due to penetrability and
capillary action... IOW..it sucks in deeper. Then the rest of the coats
at norbal [sic] strength.
J. Clarke

Han wrote:

"stoutman" wrote in
m:

Hey Clarke. Should we take Han's word for it?

Not my words, but I certainly trust them. It's science, and I *can* get
the real meaning of them. It's my training that enables me.

Maybe you should post your Entheology link. After all, it is more
credible. Right?

Had to look up entheology. I never heard of it before. Qualifier: In my
opinion: Now I wish I hadn't looked it up ... What a load of crap.

The page to which he is referring is on the Canadian Centre for Occupational
Safety and Health (the Canadian government's equivalent of OSHA in the US)
site at
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/acetone/health_ace.html.

The reason he is on about "entheology" is that there is a copy of that page
at http://www.entheology.org/tips-acetone/acetone.htm, which for some
reason was linked by by Paul Kierstad in the earlier thread on March 12
instead of the "official" page. He seems to think that if he shouts
"entheology" enough then that will somehow discredit the Canadian
government.