Richard Clements

Default honey locus toxicity

anyone ever have a problem with Honey locus making them sick? haven't seen
it on any of the lists of toxic woods but yesterday I was pruning and
cutting some down and then I started feeling really sick wondering if it
was some reaction to the wood or something else.

I saved a bunch of the wood, but I'm not really all that interested in
milling it if it's toxic.

Richard
--
if corn oil is made from corn, and olive oil is made from olives, where dose
baby oil come from?
George

"Richard Clements" wrote in message
.. .
anyone ever have a problem with Honey locus making them sick? haven't

seen
it on any of the lists of toxic woods but yesterday I was pruning and
cutting some down and then I started feeling really sick wondering if it
was some reaction to the wood or something else.

I saved a bunch of the wood, but I'm not really all that interested in
milling it if it's toxic.

It may be to you. Tough to tell what may affect any individual. Since its
heartwood is listed as very resistant to decay, it's going to be loaded with
fungicides and bactericides.

Doug Miller

In article , Richard Clements wrote:
anyone ever have a problem with Honey locus making them sick? haven't seen
it on any of the lists of toxic woods but yesterday I was pruning and
cutting some down and then I started feeling really sick wondering if it
was some reaction to the wood or something else.

I saved a bunch of the wood, but I'm not really all that interested in
milling it if it's toxic.

You could Google on it, I guess - but it's "locust", not "locus".

Dunno anything about the wood, but the *fruit* is edible - and darn tasty,
actually. Open up the ripe seed pods in the fall; there's a pulp in between
the seeds that's quite sweet (hence the "honey" part of the name). It seems to
me that, if the fruit is edible, it's unlikely for the wood to be toxic... but
I could be wrong. And you could be allergic to it, so maybe eating the fruit
isn't a good idea for you.

By the way... to a deer, honey locust pods are candy. To a deer hunter, a tree
stand, or a blind, overlooking a honey locust grove is a good place to be.

--
Regards,

Charlie Self

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Cattle love the pods, too. Black locust dust is rough on the lungs, but
I've never heard of honey locust doiong a number on anyone. That said,
just about any saw dust is hard on lungs in some manner, and all woods
are listed as carcinogens these days, so precautions are best taken. As
an incidental point, black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) is much more
readily found than honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos).

There's also always the possibility the OP has some kind of allergy to
the wood, as you stated.

Patriarch

"Charlie Self" wrote in
oups.com:
snip
There's also always the possibility the OP has some kind of allergy to
the wood, as you stated.

Or an allergy to something else that was blooming yesterday. The jasmine
is flowering here, and that's harder on me than any wood I've encountered.

Patriarch

robo hippy

Richard,
Any legume (plant with seed pods) can cause allergic reactions,
depending on personal sensitivity. I have a friend who is sensitive to
black locust only when it is green. Go figure. I just went to a show in
Davis, CA, and had some honey locust bowls (a domestic tree without the
thorns). They all sold. The wood has wonderful color, and is very hard.
I also have heard that the seeds are used to make beer.

Where are you? Any chance of getting some of your tree? I don't really
need any more wood, but......
robo hippy

Richard Clements wrote:
anyone ever have a problem with Honey locus making them sick? haven't seen
it on any of the lists of toxic woods but yesterday I was pruning and
cutting some down and then I started feeling really sick wondering if it
was some reaction to the wood or something else.

I saved a bunch of the wood, but I'm not really all that interested in
milling it if it's toxic.

Richard
--
if corn oil is made from corn, and olive oil is made from olives, where dose
baby oil come from?

Richard Clements

Boise, ID and I Didn't get that much that was usable from the Honey Locust,
A buddy of mine turns pens so he has first claim on the smaller stuff, I
think I'll risk it on the bigger peaces and just be careful when I mill it

Richard Clements wrote:
anyone ever have a problem with Honey locus making them sick? haven't
seen it on any of the lists of toxic woods but yesterday I was pruning
and cutting some down and then I started feeling really sick wondering if
it was some reaction to the wood or something else.

I saved a bunch of the wood, but I'm not really all that interested in
milling it if it's toxic.

Richard
--
if corn oil is made from corn, and olive oil is made from olives, where
dose baby oil come from?

--
if corn oil is made from corn, and olive oil is made from olives, where dose
baby oil come from?
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
...snipped...
It seems to
me that, if the fruit is edible, it's unlikely for the wood to be toxic... but
I could be wrong.

...snipped...

Might want to rethink that logic. Think about potato plants, peach
pits, breadfruit, even poison ivy. The list goes on...

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Todd the wood junkie

I am allergic to everything possible (taking shots for 6 yrs), and have
been working with the stuff for about a year with no problems. Great
wood.

If you really think it's toxic, you better not take any chances, I'll
take the wood off your hands and you'll feel better

David

Tomatoes are tasty too (we grow them in our back yard), but you wouldn't
want to ingest the leaves (poisonous). Solanine is the culprit and
granted you'd have to eat a heck of a lot of leaves to be affected.

Dave

Doug Miller wrote:
It seems to
me that, if the fruit is edible, it's unlikely for the wood to be toxic... but
I could be wrong.

Looking for Johnson Waldorf Honey tiles Richard Hamer UK diy 1 January 11th 05 12:42 PM
Honey Dippers Alan Van Art Woodturning 17 August 30th 04 06:44 PM
Different honeys Mary Fisher UK diy 69 April 16th 04 12:06 PM
bees for two days??? cl lorentzson Metalworking 20 April 10th 04 09:37 PM
Siccative for linseed oil; toxicity? Keith Woodworking 3 July 10th 03 05:36 PM