bf

Default Is what Norm did legit?

I got one of Norm's old books from the library.

Basically, he was making a table top with a solid wood slab.
One the underside of the table top, he screwed four long boards
perpendicular to the grain. Is this a legit technique, or would it
cause the table top to crack when cross grain movement occurs?

If that's a legit technique, I could see using it to help keep the
tabletop flat. Opinions? Thanks.

David

Sure it would work. Screwed; not glued it would allow movement, wouldn't
it, bf? Slotted holes in the long boards, right? At least he didn't
include "and a few brads to hold it until the glue dries."

Dave

bf wrote:

I got one of Norm's old books from the library.

Basically, he was making a table top with a solid wood slab.
One the underside of the table top, he screwed four long boards
perpendicular to the grain. Is this a legit technique, or would it
cause the table top to crack when cross grain movement occurs?

If that's a legit technique, I could see using it to help keep the
tabletop flat. Opinions? Thanks.

Vic Baron

At least he didn't
include "and a few brads to hold it until the glue dries."

ROFLMAO!

Poor 'ol Norm. Takes a helluva beating here on occasion.

The method for table top stabilization is not only valid, but well
accepted over the last few hundred years of table making.

I did think the comment on waiting for the glue to dry was funny,
though...

Robert

mac davis

On 24 May 2005 08:57:10 -0700, "bf" wrote:

I got one of Norm's old books from the library.

Basically, he was making a table top with a solid wood slab.
One the underside of the table top, he screwed four long boards
perpendicular to the grain. Is this a legit technique, or would it
cause the table top to crack when cross grain movement occurs?

If that's a legit technique, I could see using it to help keep the
tabletop flat. Opinions? Thanks.

the table top WILL NOT move..
Norm obviously told it not too, and the table is scared ****less that if it
moves, Norm will be back to fix it....
probably with a moving van full of power tools.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

bf

David wrote:
Sure it would work. Screwed; not glued it would allow movement, wouldn't
it, bf?

See, that's the thing, the holes were not slotted to allow movement, he
just screwed the boards to underside of the table top (perpendicular to
the grain). I should've been clearer in the original post.