J T

Default I STILL AT'NT DEAD

I figured I'd better post again, before people start sending "have
a nice afterlife" e-mails.

And, here is the obligatory free plan.
http://www.geocities.com/thecoroners...uillotine.html I'd suggest
that if you make a working version, you keep it scaled down, and only
use it for cigar cutting, and/or clipping fingernales.

Life is basically good. The doctor has cut back on the blood
pressure medicine. The pressure actullly started getting better after I
stopped visiting here. Gee, what an amazing coincidence.

The sons are actually starting to work on the Luv. Had to buy a
few item to get them motivated, but progress. Started out with a set of
block hugger headers (very excellent deal, and on a mini-starter, by the
way). Also transmission oil cooler, and lines. Big plus, the younger
son bought a Lunati cam to go in it. The crate engine in it as of now
is already almost maginal overkill, being as light as the truck is.
With the new cam, definitely overkill. But, the horsepower mantra is
always right - some is good, more is better, too much is just enough.
LOL Plus I'll be working on shortening the bed, and a few other things
to lighten it up a bit. But, then I'll be adding a bit of it back in
the form of a tube rear bumper, with possibly more weight inside it, to
give some needed traction. It'll eventually get a locker too. That'll
be my wood hauling truck, I look forward to hauling ash. LOL

I was thinking for a long time they weren't working on it because
they were afraid I'd kill myself in it. Now I'm not too sure "what" to
think. I'm gonna have to remind them I don't have a lot of insurance.
LOL The older kid had got it from an ex-neighbor who'd dropped in a 283
Chevy, and then proceeded to wear it out. My son then dropped in a
worn, but good running, 350. I drove it once or twice with that in it,
and it had traction issues, but was still quick. The kid took it to the
drags once, and, even with that engine, it still turned 80+ mph in the
1/8th, with it spinning down most of the track. That engine had
probably around 200 hp, max, on a good day. The one in it now started
out as a 250 hp crate engine, had a Performer intake added, and still
has only about 45-50K miles on it. I figure with the changes, it'll be
pushing well over 300 hp. Now if I can just get them to finish the damn
thing.

Just before I posted this I saw a post, from some ass, asking if
people had been saved. Saved from what? Christianity? Dipsticks like
him? That would be a winner in my book.

I'll probably come back later, and keep track of this thread for
awhile. But, I don't think I'll be checking on much else.

Later

JOAT
Failure is ALWAYS an option.
- JOAT

Charlie Self

J T wrote:
[...]

Good you're still with us, even on a small basis. I shot photos of a
'57 Chev Bel Air Saturday--one of the original power pack models, and
unrestored, in cherry condition, or better--paint is absolutely unreal
for a car that is almost 50 years old. The guy had a photo of one of
his previous vehicles, a Hemibaker as he called it. A 446 blown hemi,
in, IIRC, a '48 Studebaker truck. Bright red. According to him, 1000
HP, and just shifting into gear caused the tires to chirp loudly. That
should be enough HP for even you.

Vito Kuhn

"Charlie Self" wrote:

I shot photos of a
'57 Chev Bel Air Saturday--one of the original power pack models, and
unrestored, in cherry condition, or better--paint is absolutely unreal
for a car that is almost 50 years old. The guy had a photo of one of
his previous vehicles, a Hemibaker as he called it. A 446 blown hemi,
in, IIRC, a '48 Studebaker truck. Bright red. According to him, 1000
HP, and just shifting into gear caused the tires to chirp loudly. That
should be enough HP for even you.

My first automobile was a 1955 Studebaker Transtar pickup. At the time, I
thought it was a rolling pile of junk. Now I see young men restoring old
battle axes like that, putting shiny new paint jobs and customs wheels on
the things.

VK
J T

Hi Charlie. Niice to know you at'nt dead either. Ah, '57 Chebbys.
My dad bought a brand-new, black and white, 2-door post, inline 6, with
3 on the tree. His first ever new car. I put many miles on that. His
next new car was a '60 Chebby wagon, 4-door, some sort of green color,
that would pull 60 MPH in first gear. Nice car.

The Luv, for awhile anyway, isn't gonna look that nice. Interior
is nice enough, with used but good Escort seats, floor ratchet shifter,
and so on. Body is solid, but the paint(?) is a combination of light
surface rust, a couple of shades of primer, and faded red paint, with a
spot or two of orange. With a large hole in the center of the hood.
And, all the front trim, grill, etc., gone. In other words, perfect. I
was gonna have the exhaust go into one, large, pipe, but the younger son
wants true duals. So, I'll go along with that, to keep him happy,
because when he's happy, he's willing to work on it. Am thinking about
cutting one pipe short tho, so it looks like just one. Me? Want a
sleeper? What's a sleeper? Heh heh. Perodically, I remind both that
it will be for MY use, just in case they get ideas.

A doctor told me the other day, after five years with no problems,
they consider cancer in total remission. Five years this year, either
April or May, don't recall off-hand. Comes of being pure of heart.
LMAO

Later

JOAT
Failure is ALWAYS an option.
- JOAT

Charlie Self

J T wrote:
Hi Charlie. Niice to know you at'nt dead either. Ah, '57 Chebbys.

It's fairly nice to be not dead, most days anyway.

[...]

Your own private Q ship, for those who recall WWII.

My first new car, when I was 19, was a '57 Chevy. White convertible,
dual fishpole antennas, red and silver upholstery, radio (no fancy
stuff in those days), and a 283 V8, 3/4 race Duntov cam, dual 4 barrel,
10.5 to 1 compression ratio (think of THAT on today's panther pee
gasoline), close ratio 3 speed (column, of course). And not so great
breaks, plus a tendency to fling the fan belt when you really stood on
it and popped the clutch. I slapped steel packs on it and got run out
of DC, and N. White Plains, NY. It's a marvel I survived to enlist in
the Marines at year's end.

Dave Hinz

On 23 May 2005 17:16:40 +0200, Vito Kuhn wrote:

My first

What're _you_ doing out of the killfile?

replonk

Lawrence L'Hote

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

J T wrote:
Hi Charlie. Niice to know you at'nt dead either. Ah, '57 Chebbys.

It's fairly nice to be not dead, most days anyway.
My first new car, when I was 19, was a '57 Chevy.

I know it don't matter to most but the first car I ever drove was my dad's
47 Hudson. He then got either a 49 or 50 Hudson, ICR...and ya know? You
could lay down in the back seat of that Hudson and neither your head nor
feet would touch the doors ;-). Later in h.s. my brother and I shared a
49 Mercury two-door....just like the one James Dean drove in 'Rebel w/o a
Cause" It would go 60 in 2nd gear.....trailing a cloud of smoke, however.
Traded in that Merc for a 56(ummm not sure) Chev Bel-Aire HT with power
windows.....my sister later burned out the back seat with a cigarette she
thought she tossed out the window...

Larry

Larry Jaques

On 23 May 2005 08:57:23 -0700, the inscrutable "Charlie Self"
spake:

My first new car, when I was 19, was a '57 Chevy. White convertible,

My first car, when I was 15, was a '57 Chebby, a white 4-door hardtop
with 283 (PowerPacked heads and only a 2bbl), and PowerSlide tranny,
the one with the whine you could hear all the way to NYC from Vista,
CA. I rode my Kaw 90 with my learner's permit while the guy who sold
the car to me helped me put the rebuilt engine in it. It was on the
road when I got my license at the ripe old age of 16.

dual fishpole antennas, red and silver upholstery, radio (no fancy
stuff in those days), and a 283 V8, 3/4 race Duntov cam, dual 4 barrel,
10.5 to 1 compression ratio (think of THAT on today's panther pee
gasoline), close ratio 3 speed (column, of course). And not so great
breaks,

How about the brakes? (-ed) Mine had rough upholstery so Dad and I
took it down to Tijuana and watched them put real padding materials in
it (no sweepups) while stitching the naugahyde with good nylon thread.
Total cost for both front and rear seats in 1968: $25 and a couple
bucks for gas down there and back.

plus a tendency to fling the fan belt when you really stood on
it and popped the clutch. I slapped steel packs on it and got run out
of DC, and N. White Plains, NY. It's a marvel I survived to enlist in
the Marines at year's end.

I put a Hollywood wolf whistle on it and got pulled over by the
meanest cop in Vista. He called it a siren and wrote me a ticket
for it. I had to go to court with an inspection ticket signed off
before they dropped the case. Whew!

Ah, the good old days. I remember the time a friend and took it up to
Palm Springs, picked up a couple of biker chicks who got us a fifth
of vodka and 1/2 gallon of orange juice, and we all had ourselves a
bang-up good time. The reason I, a young and naive lad, realized that
she was a biker chick was the tattoo on her butt cheek "Property of
Hell's Angels". We were lucky to have escaped that one with our lives
and peckers intact. Ayup, the good old pre-condom/pre-AIDS/pre-anti-
biotic-resistant-Viet-bugs days.

-
The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com
so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
Lew Hodgett

"Charlie Self" wrote:

My first new car, when I was 19, was a '57 Chevy. White convertible,

snip

In 1957, mine was a 41 Buick coupe that still had a bunch of bullet
holes in then sheet metal.

Was told it had been used for running booze during WWII.

Don't know, but it made a good story and for $35, it got me where I
needed to go.

Lew
A.J. Hamler

I got you guys all beat: My first and *second* cars were '57s. The
first -- which I got in 1967 -- was jet black and just loaded with
power... power windows, seats, antenna and even had a "Wonder Bar" on
the radio. It developed a serious rear-end problem about a year and a
half later, and rather than fix it, I took advantage of another '57
that came up for sale on exactly the same day as I got the bad news on
my '57 from the garage. So I sold the black one, and bought the other
one. It was all-white, had a Hurst 4-speed on the floor, and had the
engine from a 1965 Impala (I think that's what it was) in it. The
previous owner bought the engine from some woman who totalled her
Impala by hitting a cow. For some reason, that always appealed to me.
I installed red metalflake rolled-and-pleated upholstery (ordered from
J.C. Whitney), redid the headliner, and painted the dash and all
interior metalwork candy-apple red metalflake, replaced the standard
steering wheel with a smaller red-metalflake-and-chrome one, and topped
the whole thing off with a set of chrome reverse wheels.

A.J.

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote:

My first new car, when I was 19, was a '57 Chevy. White convertible,

snip

In 1957, mine was a 41 Buick coupe that still had a bunch of bullet
holes in then sheet metal.

Was told it had been used for running booze during WWII.

Don't know, but it made a good story and for $35, it got me where I
needed to go.

Lew

Upscale

"A.J. Hamler" wrote in message
power... power windows, seats, antenna and even had a "Wonder Bar" on
the radio. It developed a serious rear-end problem about a year and a

Your mention of a "Wonder Bar" on the radio reminds me of the AM-FM radio I
had on my 67 Thunderbird. The push button station selectors could be rotated
180° to alternate between AM or FM selection. I found out long after I sold
the car, that this type of radio was supposed to be worth quite a few
dollars.

Charlie Self

A.J. Hamler wrote:
[...]

Within a certain age group, the '56-'57 Chevy small block may be the
all time favorite. I just shot that unrestored '57 for Cars & Parts
magazine, and had a blast, even though it was a bright, sunny day
(worst KIND of day for shooting chrome and gleaming onyx black original
paint, even with a circular polarizer). Gorgeous car, makes me drool,
but also makes me glad I'm not paying the insurance on it, though it
probably isn't driven 500 miles a year (it gets driven, to shows, more
than that. The owner has his own hauler).

I STILL AT'NT DEAD J T Woodworking 23 April 27th 05 01:01 AM
I AT'NT DEAD J T Woodworking 46 April 12th 05 05:46 PM
Ever turn a dead leprechaun?!? Birchy Woodturning 3 December 27th 04 01:33 AM
Dead Leprechaun Coffins [email protected] Woodworking 1 December 22nd 04 07:16 AM
SmartUPS dead? Hactar Electronics Repair 7 February 14th 04 07:53 PM