mcgyver

Default Shopping for a Bandsaw.......

I'm thinking of a 14" plus.. possibly able to get a riser bar in the
future, maybe will do some resawing... so.... what's the min HP/amps I
should look for? Roller bearings or the cool block setup? Anything else
that I'm not thinking of? I've used a small old 12" for some "light" stuff
but need to upgrade. Models? I'm thinking around $5-600 range. thanks

Ben A Gozar

I am sure everyone has their own preferences, but here is what I did....

I google this group for bandsaws and read everything that was band saw
related to my purposes. Keeping a list on models, what people thought about
their bandsaw, what they don't like, and what they wished they had. Also a
plus/minus for the different brands.

One of the interesting things I came across was Delta. Many many complaints
about the product, but most would buy Delta again...go figure. lol

Good luck, hope this post wasn't a time waster.
Walt Novinger

Ben A Gozar wrote:
I am sure everyone has their own preferences, but here is what I did....

I google this group for bandsaws and read everything that was band saw
related to my purposes. Keeping a list on models, what people thought about
their bandsaw, what they don't like, and what they wished they had. Also a
plus/minus for the different brands.

One of the interesting things I came across was Delta. Many many complaints
about the product, but most would buy Delta again...go figure. lol

Good luck, hope this post wasn't a time waster.

One of the primary advantages of the Delta 14" line (there are at least
two versions...one made in US [~$900] the other offshore [~$500], both
excellent saws) is that the Delta lower guides are within 1" of the
table top. No other saw comes this close, including Jet, Powermatic and
Grizzley. This is very important when making curved cuts (e.g., bandsaw
boxes), as there is less blade between the guides to flex. I sell all
these saws (except Grizzley), and the guide placement and adjustment
ease is one of the major "tipping points" in buyers' decision-making.

WRT guides, roller guides are generally unsuitable for blades narrower
than 1/4". For narrow blades (I use 3/16" when making bandsaw boxes),
Cool Blocks are the best. For 1/4" or wider blades, roller guides can
provide better performance, particularly when resawing. If you buy a
Delta saw, you can buy a set of Cool Blocks for narrow blades, and a set
of Carter Band Rollers for wider blades and simply change the guides
when you change the blade.

HTH,
Walt

damn, a bandsaw! mac davis Woodturning 31 February 8th 05 03:38 PM
Old Delta bandsaw questions Jonathan Woodworking 1 November 20th 04 10:27 PM
Shopsmith bandsaw tires, no replacements for 1984 model. Jack Straight Woodworking 4 March 2nd 04 03:51 PM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM