mac davis

Default A good UPS post!

Since folks seem to flame ps a lot, I thought I should post this... I've also
sent a thank you email to UPS..

I ordered a large assortment sanding stuff, stain and end sealer (like Anchor
seal) and was really, really hoping that it would arrive early, as we just
brought home a bunch of logs...

It was scheduled for delivery on the 17th, but the tracking page at UPS said
that it was "out for delivery" on the 16th... It didn't get here...

On the morning of the 17th, the tracking page said "package damaged, sender
being contacted"... oh ****.. I really wanted that end sealer.... I figured that
I was going to go through the limbo that others have posted about.. USP and
Klingor fighting while I waited to see who won..

On the afternoon of the 17th, the UPS driver showed up with the package and had
me look at it... said that it was beat up but that I could check it out and see
if I wanted to accept it! I took delivery, after he had me sign an addendum
thing that said that some contents might be missing, (there were tons of little
packs of sanding discs that could have gone out the tear) and that I could
contact UPS about replacement after I checked the contents against the packing
slip.. it was all there, and in good shape..
Thanks to the UPS driver, I can start cutting up the logs and sealing the ends
today..
The bottom line, as I see it, is the driver didn't take the "easy way out" and
just have it sent back, he took the trouble to check with me, knowing that I
might be waiting for something that was time critical..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Olebiker

Well, lemme tell ya what happened to me with UPS. I was working in the
gara... er, shop yesterday. I had my back to the open door. At some
point I noticed a box containing the Bessey clamps I had ordered had
been delivered and were leaning up against the door facing. I had been
cutting some rabbetts and dadoes for some drawers and never heard the
deliveryman.

I wish I didn't have to go to choir practice tonight. I can't wait to
try the new clamps.

Dick Durbin

Joe User

Let me get this straight - they damaged your stuff, but afterwards
delivered the damaged package in such a way that you're happy about it?

I'll bet you like it when Microsoft send out another security patch,
too. "Gee, thanks for fixing that hole that should not have existed in
the first place!"
Brian Elfert

Joe User writes:

Let me get this straight - they damaged your stuff, but afterwards
delivered the damaged package in such a way that you're happy about it?

It is still way better to deliver the damaged package than send it back
when the contents are not damaged.

Brian Elfert
Prometheus

On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:48:27 -0500, Joe User
wrote:

Let me get this straight - they damaged your stuff, but afterwards
delivered the damaged package in such a way that you're happy about it?

I'll bet you like it when Microsoft send out another security patch,
too. "Gee, thanks for fixing that hole that should not have existed in
the first place!"

That was kind of my reaction too... I immediately thought of the
rulers I got from Lee Valley that came in a box that was bent in half-
I was not particularly happy with them for dropping it off in that
state. Luckily, LV took care of it right away, no thanks to the
shipper.

Upscale

"Prometheus" wrote in message

That was kind of my reaction too... I immediately thought of the
rulers I got from Lee Valley that came in a box that was bent in half-
I was not particularly happy with them for dropping it off in that
state. Luckily, LV took care of it right away, no thanks to the
shipper.

Aren't you guys missing the obvious here? That fact that the UPS guy let him
examined the contents of the package and decide whether he wanted to keep
the goods or not is what's important. I wouldn't care too much if the
package I ordered was crushed with a steamroller as long as the contents
were in good condition. After all, as long as the package survived long
enough to prevent damage, who gives a rat's ass what condition it's in?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Prometheus" wrote in message

That was kind of my reaction too... I immediately thought of the
rulers I got from Lee Valley that came in a box that was bent in half-
I was not particularly happy with them for dropping it off in that
state.

At least you got something. Last week FedEx brought me an empty box.
Resealed, nothing in it.

Upscale

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message news:Pc_ie.1224

At least you got something. Last week FedEx brought me an empty box.
Resealed, nothing in it.

Ain't that a bugger. What was supposed to be in it?

Never Enough Money

Sometimes it's the seller that is at fault: they packaged the item or
items poorly.

I just received a bandsaw by UPS. The bottom was broken. My first
thought was the box seems awful flimsy for a 400 pound saw. The UPS man
waited while I opened it (had to unscrew about 15 deck screws). We
inspected it and decided it was ok. (Turned out one part was missing
which may have fallen out of the box break or may have never been
packed at all. The manufacturer overnighted it out, no problem).

I don't expect UPS to handle every package as if it contain fragile
glass. Sometime they may be too rough, but most of the onus is on the
packager, IMO.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message news:Pc_ie.1224

At least you got something. Last week FedEx brought me an empty box.
Resealed, nothing in it.

Ain't that a bugger. What was supposed to be in it?

Clutch cylinder for a truck. Weight is about 2 pounds and was inside of its
own box in the shipping carton. Lost a day's runs because of it.

mac davis

On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:48:27 -0500, Joe User wrote:

Let me get this straight - they damaged your stuff, but afterwards
delivered the damaged package in such a way that you're happy about it?

I'll bet you like it when Microsoft send out another security patch,
too. "Gee, thanks for fixing that hole that should not have existed in
the first place!"

yep.. and I didn't even have to reboot the sealer that I need right away... like
about when I placed my order *g*

What they did was bring the package out to let me look at it and choose whether
to accept it on conditions, or send it back...
Maybe it's just a language thing, but to me they didn't "deliver" it, but took
the trouble to come out and discuss the problem...
In this case, (no pun intended) it was not only stuff that I needed ASAP, but
there wasn't anything breakable in the box... just a lot of abrasive disks and a
jug of end sealer... if it was china or fragile tools, I would have told them to
send it back without looking at the carton..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Thu, 19 May 2005 06:42:16 -0400, "Upscale" wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message

That was kind of my reaction too... I immediately thought of the
rulers I got from Lee Valley that came in a box that was bent in half-
I was not particularly happy with them for dropping it off in that
state. Luckily, LV took care of it right away, no thanks to the
shipper.

Aren't you guys missing the obvious here? That fact that the UPS guy let him
examined the contents of the package and decide whether he wanted to keep
the goods or not is what's important. I wouldn't care too much if the
package I ordered was crushed with a steamroller as long as the contents
were in good condition. After all, as long as the package survived long
enough to prevent damage, who gives a rat's ass what condition it's in?

exactly.. the recycle bin didn't care and it was easier to crush the box, since
UPS started the crushing.. *lol
Also, if they had just sent it back, I would have had to go pay retail for some
of the stuff, so I could keep working, and them get a replacement shipment
later..
my only concern, once I saw that the jug of sealer was ok (klingor used about 2
miles of shrink wrap on it), my only worry was that some of the 10 packs of 1"
discs could have fallen out... but they pretty much gave me an open invitation
to claim that something was missing..
(everything on the packing list was there)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
JC

UPS (Universal Package Smashers) SUCKS almost as bad as Dell Computer.

Over 80% damage rate for items shipped to my home.

They suck, and that's all there is to it.

Now DHS, those guys are great...

Lobby Dosser

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message

That was kind of my reaction too... I immediately thought of the
rulers I got from Lee Valley that came in a box that was bent in half-
I was not particularly happy with them for dropping it off in that
state.

At least you got something. Last week FedEx brought me an empty box.
Resealed, nothing in it.

FedEx brought me a crushed box last week. Didn't even ring the doorbell,
just dropped it on the front step and slunk back to the truck.
Fortunately the contents were all there and intact.

UPS normally rings the doorbell and then runs back to the truck.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sometimes it's the seller that is at fault: they packaged the item or
items poorly.

I don't expect UPS to handle every package as if it contain fragile
glass. Sometime they may be too rough, but most of the onus is on the
packager, IMO.

..
Very true. There are standards to meet and tests to determine if you meet
them. There are standards for cartons, tapes, methods of taping. There are
formula for developing cushioned protective packaging. There are college
degrees in packaging for those interested in a career. .
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Edwin Pawlowski

"JC" wrote in message
oups.com...
UPS (Universal Package Smashers) SUCKS almost as bad as Dell Computer.

Over 80% damage rate for items shipped to my home.

They suck, and that's all there is to it.

Now DHS, those guys are great...

Sounds like Dell has the problem. Their packaging should be designed and
tested to meet proper criteria. UPS has labs available to do the testing.
If there are too many claims, UPS will refuse to take some items until they
pass the test.

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"JC" wrote in message
oups.com...
UPS (Universal Package Smashers) SUCKS almost as bad as Dell Computer.

Over 80% damage rate for items shipped to my home.

They suck, and that's all there is to it.

Now DHS, those guys are great...

Sounds like Dell has the problem. Their packaging should be designed and
tested to meet proper criteria. UPS has labs available to do the testing.
If there are too many claims, UPS will refuse to take some items until they
pass the test.

Don't think he's b-ing about Dell's packaging...ime, their packaging is
the best part. Actually, if the machine works, they have a good
deal. If you ever need support, that's a nightmare.
Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:Pc_ie.1224$H24.94
@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

"Prometheus" wrote in message

That was kind of my reaction too... I immediately thought of the
rulers I got from Lee Valley that came in a box that was bent in half-
I was not particularly happy with them for dropping it off in that
state.

At least you got something. Last week FedEx brought me an empty box.
Resealed, nothing in it.

I used to get marketing plans FedEx'd to me. The box was sealed, unharmed,
but nothing of value was contained therein. ;-)
JC

You are correct, sir. Dell's packaging is outstanding, their products
are just great. Their support, as you suggested, is another matter
entirely.....

http://www.moorecarports.com/dell/index.htm

Dave Hinz

On 23 May 2005 14:47:30 -0700, JC wrote:
You are correct, sir. Dell's packaging is outstanding, their products
are just great. Their support, as you suggested, is another matter
entirely.....

I'm of the understanding that they found that outsourcing ****ed off
customers, declared it a failure, and "re-insourced" it?

Charles Spitzer

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 23 May 2005 14:47:30 -0700, JC wrote:
You are correct, sir. Dell's packaging is outstanding, their products
are just great. Their support, as you suggested, is another matter
entirely.....

I'm of the understanding that they found that outsourcing ****ed off
customers, declared it a failure, and "re-insourced" it?

only for large business customers

Duane Bozarth

Charles Spitzer wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 23 May 2005 14:47:30 -0700, JC wrote:
You are correct, sir. Dell's packaging is outstanding, their products
are just great. Their support, as you suggested, is another matter
entirely.....

I'm of the understanding that they found that outsourcing ****ed off
customers, declared it a failure, and "re-insourced" it?

only for large business customers

I'm talking even before the outsourcing...

mac davis wrote:
[...]

I wonder if the UPS guy is still working for UPS. Almost every package
I receive from UPS is damaged. The driver just leaves it at my front
door or leans it against garage door and takes off as fast as he can
before I have a chance to see the pacakge. I remeber the old days when
they rang your doorbell to alert you and wait a few seconds before
taking off. They could care less if it's pouring rain. I can't believe
you are happy you received a damaged package. What if you had to send
merchandise back? Would the merchant you purchased it from accept
contents inside. BTW try to recover damages from UPS it's a whole other
experience. Count your blessing on extraordinary luck.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:
On 23 May 2005 14:47:30 -0700, JC wrote:
You are correct, sir. Dell's packaging is outstanding, their products
are just great. Their support, as you suggested, is another matter
entirely.....

I'm of the understanding that they found that outsourcing ****ed off
customers, declared it a failure, and "re-insourced" it?

_corporate_ customers, yes.
"retail" customers. *NO*.

Edwin Pawlowski

"JC" wrote in message
ups.com...
You are correct, sir. Dell's packaging is outstanding, their products
are just great. Their support, as you suggested, is another matter
entirely.....

http://www.moorecarports.com/dell/index.htm

I've not bought from Dell, will no longer buy from Gateway or any of the big
guys for reasons outlined on your web page. I bought my last dozen
computers from Dennis. He builds them, supports them, fixes them, and if
there is a problem, I get Dennis on the phone. Or I take it back to the
shop and Dennis fixes it.

mac davis

On 24 May 2005 04:59:30 -0700, wrote:

mac davis wrote:
[...]

yep.. he delivered a package yesterday..

I think you missed the point... I'm not happy that I received a damaged
package...
The point is that the driver took some initiative and asked me if I wanted to
send it back or take it subject to it being damaged...
and in doing so, saved me time, money and kept some nice logs from drying out
before i could seal them..

as to sending it back, he gave me a copy of the "damaged container, left with
customer for evaluation" tag... all I had t do was call and tell UPS that my
sand paper and sealer were broken, and they would of come and picked it up..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 1 of 10 - General Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 05 08:29 AM
Lazy Post about Cabinet making (with good excuse) Fitz UK diy 3 March 7th 05 07:47 PM
easy money Onemoredrunk Home Ownership 0 October 11th 04 01:00 AM
Good High Wheel Mower -- Tall Grass ??? James Nipper Home Repair 2 April 23rd 04 02:44 AM
Amazing Cash Flow Cashflowstoday Home Ownership 0 January 7th 04 09:45 PM