CNT

Default what to charge?

If this is a repeated thread, forgive me. I post yesterday and it didn't
show up on my newsreader. So, here's it again...

I was asked to do a job. It's a outdoor deck with a wood spa. I have not
seen it yet. I am invited to see it soon. She said she has "everything",
just need a guy to do the work and said will pay for it. Sounds like she
wants me to re-stain or apply a protective coating. She did said "stain"
for the (outdoor) wood spa. I don't know what it's all like. I don't know
if it's dirty or needs sanding (if needed, I will ask her to rent a power
presure water spray cleaner or whatever else).

I accepted to do the job. I like to know what is a reasonable hourly rate
for this kind of work? Feelings tells me it may be 1 to 3 days work. So,
I like to know what to tell her when I am looking at it. Should I
estimate a full job, like $250 or $300? Or should I charge hourly rate,
10/hr or 15/hr?

Comments please.

Chuck
Charlie Self

CNT wrote:
[...]

Around here, if you can get someone to do that kind of work, and get it
for 15 bucks an hour, you're doing well. We get people coming by who
want 15 bucks an hour to mow our lawn, with our mowers and gas.

David

A job like that should NOT be priced by the hour. Would YOU like a
worker to come to YOUR house and not give you the total price up front?
Pick a price that both of you can agree on. Then there's no hard
feelings and no surprises unless you do a lousy job.

Dave

CNT wrote:

[...]

CNT

Me taking it from this... $15/hr too low?

Chuck

Around here, if you can get someone to do that kind of work, and get it
for 15 bucks an hour, you're doing well. We get people coming by who
want 15 bucks an hour to mow our lawn, with our mowers and gas.

CNT

Would a $300 payment be reasonable for a regular job like this? $400? Ahem?
I need a better idea since I really haven't charged people. I helped my
brother-in-law with his deck and also his basement (remodel), I charged
nothing for it.

I have had someone come over and charge me by the hour, along with an
estimate total price (talking like... "well, it would take 2 hours to
replace that, so $40 times 2 comes out to $80"). But I have no idea how
long this job would take me (my guess was 1 to 3 days).

Chuck

A job like that should NOT be priced by the hour. Would YOU like a
worker to come to YOUR house and not give you the total price up
front?
Pick a price that both of you can agree on. Then there's no hard
feelings and no surprises unless you do a lousy job.

David

Reasonable? Depends on where in the country you are. Depends on how
much work is involved. Depends on what a pro would charge. If you are
NOT a pro, you should charge accordingly. You may be jumping the gun in
hiring yourself out if you don't even have a ballpark figure in mind for
the value of the work. That's one reason I don't solicit WW business;
my professional expertise was in two other fields unrelated to
woodworking; I could easily price out my work for those jobs but not
for furniture building.

Dave

CNT wrote:

Would a $300 payment be reasonable for a regular job like this? $400? Ahem?
I need a better idea since I really haven't charged people. I helped my
brother-in-law with his deck and also his basement (remodel), I charged
nothing for it.

I have had someone come over and charge me by the hour, along with an
estimate total price (talking like... "well, it would take 2 hours to
replace that, so $40 times 2 comes out to $80"). But I have no idea how
long this job would take me (my guess was 1 to 3 days).

Chuck

A job like that should NOT be priced by the hour. Would YOU like a
worker to come to YOUR house and not give you the total price up
front?
Pick a price that both of you can agree on. Then there's no hard
feelings and no surprises unless you do a lousy job.

CNT

Oh boy... LOL... I was just merely asking for a price range, not something
I will start door knocking asking if I could "work for food".

FWIW, I am in Milwaukee, WI. Yeah, the Harley-Davidson city, huh?

Chuck

Reasonable? Depends on where in the country you are. Depends on how
much work is involved. Depends on what a pro would charge. If you
are NOT a pro, you should charge accordingly. You may be jumping the
gun in hiring yourself out

B a r r y

CNT wrote:
Would a $300 payment be reasonable for a regular job like this? $400?

Location is everything. What general area are you talking about?

What's very reasonable here in East Westchester County would probably
get dogs chasing you off the property in the rural southeastern US.

Barry
B a r r y

CNT wrote:
Oh boy... LOL... I was just merely asking for a price range, not something
I will start door knocking asking if I could "work for food".

FWIW, I am in Milwaukee, WI. Yeah, the Harley-Davidson city, huh?

Check out the going local rate for "handyman services".

Barry

Edwin Pawlowski

"CNT" wrote in message

I accepted to do the job. I like to know what is a reasonable hourly rate
for this kind of work? Feelings tells me it may be 1 to 3 days work. So,
I like to know what to tell her when I am looking at it. Should I
estimate a full job, like $250 or $300? Or should I charge hourly rate,
10/hr or 15/hr?

If you are looking at making a few extra bucks, your rate is in line. If
you want to make a business of this, buy the right equipment, insurance, pay
taxes, etc. $50 would be more realistic.

Dave Jackson

First, I'd never get a dollar figure in my head without actually seeing the
size of the job and knowing the scope of work. Even after looking at the
job, I think it's better to give a customer a dollar amount the next day.
This gives you a little extra time to think about all that needs done, and
charge accordingly. Expect at minimum to spend some time pressure washing.
If it is a larger deck, or the existing finish needs removed, you could
easily spend a couple of days with the pressure washer, then a couple more
applying the new finish. Personally, I charge a minimum of $100 a day for
"sidework", and that is the easier jobs that don't require many tools and
are close to home. More than likely, the price is around $200-250 a day for
the average side job, and may go higher if I need to enlist help. This is
above and beyond the cost of materials, or equipment I may have to rent.
Don't short yourself, but don't take advantage of anyone either. Fair
prices and quality work lead to more customers! --dave

"CNT" wrote in message
There! Thanks.

Chuck

Should I estimate a full job, like $250 or $300? Or should I charge
hourly rate, 10/hr or 15/hr?

If you are looking at making a few extra bucks, your rate is in line.
If you want to make a business of this, buy the right equipment,
insurance, pay taxes, etc. $50 would be more realistic.

toller

I don't think so. She is supplying all the material and supplies; and I
have the sense that you really aren't too expert in this field. $15/hour
would be alot to have you do on the job training. Maybe $10.

Lawn-mowing is rather different. It takes at most an hour and has to pay
something worthwhile. You are getting several days work here.

"CNT" wrote in message
Me taking it from this... $15/hr too low?

Chuck

Around here, if you can get someone to do that kind of work, and get it
for 15 bucks an hour, you're doing well. We get people coming by who
want 15 bucks an hour to mow our lawn, with our mowers and gas.

Charlie Self

"CNT" wrote in message
Me taking it from this... $15/hr too low?

Chuck

Around here, if you can get someone to do that kind of work, and

get it
for 15 bucks an hour, you're doing well. We get people coming by

who
want 15 bucks an hour to mow our lawn, with our mowers and gas.

You can come by an do my lawn for an hour's wage any time. You can even
use my mowers. Two somewhat uneven acres that takes about six hours
plus trim time.

Dave Balderstone

In article . net, Dave
Jackson wrote:

First, I'd never get a dollar figure in my head without actually seeing the
size of the job and knowing the scope of work. Even after looking at the
job, I think it's better to give a customer a dollar amount the next day.

There's a contractor I've hired a number of times at work, for things
like adding office walls, doing positive air sealing, doors, etc.

He *never* gives me a price on the site. It's always 3 to 24 hours
later.

His price is always one we are both comfortable with, his work is
impeccable, and I don't hesitate to recommend him.

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
toller

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

"CNT" wrote in message
Me taking it from this... $15/hr too low?

Chuck

Around here, if you can get someone to do that kind of work, and

get it
for 15 bucks an hour, you're doing well. We get people coming by

who
want 15 bucks an hour to mow our lawn, with our mowers and gas.

You can come by an do my lawn for an hour's wage any time. You can even
use my mowers. Two somewhat uneven acres that takes about six hours
plus trim time.

You must be doing something wrong. My 18 acres takes no time at all.
Or did you put grass on it? Oak and maple are much easier.

Charlie Self

"CNT" wrote in message
Me taking it from this... $15/hr too low?

Chuck

Around here, if you can get someone to do that kind of work,

and
get it
for 15 bucks an hour, you're doing well. We get people coming

by
who
want 15 bucks an hour to mow our lawn, with our mowers and gas.

You can come by an do my lawn for an hour's wage any time. You can

even
use my mowers. Two somewhat uneven acres that takes about six hours
plus trim time.

You must be doing something wrong. My 18 acres takes no time at all.
Or did you put grass on it? Oak and maple are much easier.

Yeah, well...we just decided to naturalize the back half acre, so we're
down to 1-1/2 acres. Dodging buildings and trees eats some time, with a
16' x 65' shed, a house and a shop, plus enough trees for most people.
The thing I like best about this time of year is the fact that the
house cannot be seen clearly from the road, so it doesn't appear quite
so shabby looking. The shop can be seen, but I prefer that to look
shabby (board and batten, mostly SYP, after nearly a decade, so it has
lost its color).

mac davis

On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:42:49 -0000, CNT wrote:

Would a $300 payment be reasonable for a regular job like this? $400? Ahem?
I need a better idea since I really haven't charged people. I helped my
brother-in-law with his deck and also his basement (remodel), I charged
nothing for it.

I have had someone come over and charge me by the hour, along with an
estimate total price (talking like... "well, it would take 2 hours to
replace that, so $40 times 2 comes out to $80"). But I have no idea how
long this job would take me (my guess was 1 to 3 days).

Chuck

A job like that should NOT be priced by the hour. Would YOU like a
worker to come to YOUR house and not give you the total price up
front?
Pick a price that both of you can agree on. Then there's no hard
feelings and no surprises unless you do a lousy job.

what's a fair price for anything? (house, car, labor, etc.)
It's what one person is willing to pay and another is will to accept, right?

I'd suggest looking at the total job before bidding, then use, as a starting
point, the least that you would be willing to take to give up the time and
energy that you estimate that the job will require..

Add a little to that for the motivation factor, plus travel time & expense, if
any, and bid away!
IMHO, you need to have a few losses and a few "I can't believe I made that much"
jobs to even begin pricing your time/skills accurately..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:58:22 -0000, CNT wrote:

Oh boy... LOL... I was just merely asking for a price range, not something
I will start door knocking asking if I could "work for food".

FWIW, I am in Milwaukee, WI. Yeah, the Harley-Davidson city, huh?

Chuck

I think that before you ask how much for the job, you need to find out what the
job involves... staining the deck and spa? ok, how big of a deck and spa?

How much prep work? (cleaning, patching, replacing rotted boards, sanding, etc.)

No offence intended, but you have about as much info so far as a body shop would
if you asked them "I was in a small accident, how much to fix the damage"

they would probably need a few details, such as type of car, how much damage,
etc.... they might even want to look at the car first. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Odinn

"CNT" wrote in message

Me taking it from this... $15/hr too low?

Chuck

Around here, if you can get someone to do that kind of work, and

get it

for 15 bucks an hour, you're doing well. We get people coming by

who

want 15 bucks an hour to mow our lawn, with our mowers and gas.

You can come by an do my lawn for an hour's wage any time. You can even
use my mowers. Two somewhat uneven acres that takes about six hours
plus trim time.

That's about what it's like for me, with my 52" riding mower. Not to
count all the trees in the middle.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
CNT

The point is really I don't want to give her a sudden massive amount,
giving her a heart attach, like "well, lets start with $700" and work our
way down. She will immediately slam the door on my face. I know I will
explain the estimate can change, "give or take". I'll start with $300 if it
looks like a 3 days work. If I find a can of worms, then of course I will
point it out to her. She is very understanding friend.

Chuck

I'd suggest looking at the total job before bidding, then use, as a
starting point, the least that you would be willing to take to give up
the time and energy that you estimate that the job will require..

Add a little to that for the motivation factor, plus travel time &
expense, if any, and bid away!
IMHO, you need to have a few losses and a few "I can't believe I made
that much" jobs to even begin pricing your time/skills accurately..

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:52:27 -0000, the inscrutable CNT
spake:

The point is really I don't want to give her a sudden massive amount,
giving her a heart attach, like "well, lets start with $700" and work our
way down. She will immediately slam the door on my face. I know I will
explain the estimate can change, "give or take". I'll start with $300 if it
looks like a 3 days work. If I find a can of worms, then of course I will
point it out to her. She is very understanding friend.

Friend? DON'T DO THE WORK FOR HER! Working -for-pay- for friends and
family is the quickest way to lose both.

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
CNT

LOOOOL. I know what ye mean... This is a little different

Chuck

Friend? DON'T DO THE WORK FOR HER! Working -for-pay- for friends and
family is the quickest way to lose both.

Dave in Fairfax

Larry Jaques wrote:
Friend? DON'T DO THE WORK FOR HER! Working -for-pay- for friends and
family is the quickest way to lose both.

Larry's absolutely right. Do it for free if you want, but doing
it for pay is a no-win situation. No good can come from this.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

B a r r y

Larry Jaques wrote:

Friend? DON'T DO THE WORK FOR HER! Working -for-pay- for friends and
family is the quickest way to lose both.

I vote with Larry.

Paid work is best done as an arm's length transaction.

Friends and family get free "help".

Barry
Larry and Lois

i have 2 acres of land and with a riding lawn mower i only take 2 hours. the
trim job takes about 3 hours, plus another hour if i do the hedges as well.
i stopped paying some one else to do it i just bought my own power
equipment. and spend a day in the yard with my wife.

about the deck.
an hourly rate is sometimes bad, the home owner wants to see you always
moving and working.
a flate fee i what i prefer, that way if i want to sit and cool off im not
being given a dirty look for runing up the clock.

"CNT" wrote in message
Me taking it from this... $15/hr too low?

Chuck

Around here, if you can get someone to do that kind of work, and

get it
for 15 bucks an hour, you're doing well. We get people coming by

who
want 15 bucks an hour to mow our lawn, with our mowers and gas.

You can come by an do my lawn for an hour's wage any time. You can even
use my mowers. Two somewhat uneven acres that takes about six hours
plus trim time.

CNT

She isn't my friend friend, just a friend... OK?

Chuck

Friends and family get free "help".

bridger

In article , CNT
wrote:

[...]

considering that you have no control over what materials are used, no
idea of the scope of the project and are perhaps not familliar with all
of the processes involved I'd say this is a time and materials job.

consider how much money you need to make and find out what a handyman in
your area makes and figure out your rate from there.
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:13:14 GMT, the inscrutable Dave in Fairfax
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Friend? DON'T DO THE WORK FOR HER! Working -for-pay- for friends and
family is the quickest way to lose both.

Larry's absolutely right. Do it for free if you want, but doing
it for pay is a no-win situation. No good can come from this.

Right, free...or take it out in trade. (He said "she") domg