John Richards

Default Finish for mahogany deck chair

I just assembled a mahogany adirondack chair to be used outside on the deck.
I originally thought I would just use some Minwax Polyurethane that I
already have but according to the manufacturer's web page, "mahogany is a
dense wood and should not be treated with finish products meant for softer
woods". They recommend their own finishing product but don't list the
price. Would anyone care to comment on whether the Minwax Polyurethane
would work on mahogany or, if not, suggest another product from another
manufacturer that might be available locally (and probably cheaper)?

Thanks
John

tom

Spar varnish. Exterior grade.Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"John Richards" wrote in message
I just assembled a mahogany adirondack chair to be used outside on the
deck. I originally thought I would just use some Minwax Polyurethane that I
already have but according to the manufacturer's web page, "mahogany is a
dense wood and should not be treated with finish products meant for softer
woods". They recommend their own finishing product but don't list the
price. Would anyone care to comment on whether the Minwax Polyurethane
would work on mahogany or, if not, suggest another product from another
manufacturer that might be available locally (and probably cheaper)?

Last years I built a bench and a couple of tables from mahogany. I used
Penofin oil on it. There are UV inhibitors in it. A quart will do a few
chairs. If your local dealer does not have it, try
http://www.woodnewengland.com/cscart/penomain.htm

Unlike a varnish, it is easier to keep up rather than scrape and sand after
a few years.

SonomaProducts.com

Yes Penofin. Other than that any film finish will look like crap in a
year or two if the chair endures any real weather (sun, or rain/snow).
It will be pretty much impossible to repair without a complete
dissamble and total sanding.

Or no finish at all. Mahogany is one of the woods that can take it.
Just don't let the legs stand in water, mud lawn for the whole winter.

Ron Magen

a} all 'SPAR' varnish is 'exterior grade' . . . that's what it's
specifically for

b} DON'T use it for this application . . . unless you want your butt 'glued'
to the chair . . . especially in warm weather.

c} My personal preference is initially a good, soaked in coat of Teak Oil.
Followed by an additional / occasional wipe downs as YOUR environment and
tastes dictate.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Spar varnish. Exterior grade.Tom

tom

Thank you, Ron! Tom

daveturns05

Minwax poly WILL work on mahogony, but you don't want to use it for
outdoor projects. I like to use a marine varnish on outdoor
projects, because 1)it has UV protectants, 2)it's flexible, so when
the wood contracts in the winter and expands in the summer, it will
flex with it, and 3) it's waterproof.
On top of all that, the marine (captain's varnish, i think) varnish I
use is oil-based, so when it penetrates, it accentuates the grain
without raising it, like water-based products will do. This means
less sanding for you!! It's a win-win.

OUTDOOR DECK CHAIR J T Woodworking 0 March 2nd 05 06:23 AM
buiding a deck questi barry martin Home Repair 2 August 17th 04 06:47 PM
Protecting Deck from Deck Chair Scrapes Guido Home Repair 8 June 8th 04 07:22 PM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 02:28 AM
Folding Deck Chair Plans Greg Woodworking 0 January 21st 04 06:42 AM