Edwin Pawlowski

"John Richards" wrote in message
I just assembled a mahogany adirondack chair to be used outside on the
deck. I originally thought I would just use some Minwax Polyurethane that I
already have but according to the manufacturer's web page, "mahogany is a
dense wood and should not be treated with finish products meant for softer
woods". They recommend their own finishing product but don't list the
price. Would anyone care to comment on whether the Minwax Polyurethane
would work on mahogany or, if not, suggest another product from another
manufacturer that might be available locally (and probably cheaper)?

Last years I built a bench and a couple of tables from mahogany. I used
Penofin oil on it. There are UV inhibitors in it. A quart will do a few
chairs. If your local dealer does not have it, try
http://www.woodnewengland.com/cscart/penomain.htm

Unlike a varnish, it is easier to keep up rather than scrape and sand after
a few years.