Chuck

Default MicroJig Splitter

I'm thinking about getting the MicroJig Splitter, but was wondering if I
could use the Thin Kerf splitter with either a thin kerf blade or a
regular 1/8 inch blade. Would not want to get both, if the thin kerf
model will do the job with either size blade.

What do others think? Thanks
BobS

No... the thin kerf splitter should not be used with a blade thicker than
the splitter. I won't say it won't work cause I'm certain others here are
about to tell you it works for them - but they won't tell you about the
kick-back that almost made their birth certificates a useless piece of
paper.

Bob S.

"Chuck" wrote in message
. ..
I'm thinking about getting the MicroJig Splitter, but was wondering if I
could use the Thin Kerf splitter with either a thin kerf blade or a
regular 1/8 inch blade. Would not want to get both, if the thin kerf
model will do the job with either size blade.

What do others think? Thanks

Jody

You can use the thin with a regular blade and it will only half work. By
that.... you will only get the feather board effect into the fence on
the right side of the blade. The left side will be unsupported by the
jig I would get the kit for both types. It uses the same holes "I think".

Chuck wrote:
I'm thinking about getting the MicroJig Splitter, but was wondering if I
could use the Thin Kerf splitter with either a thin kerf blade or a
regular 1/8 inch blade. Would not want to get both, if the thin kerf
model will do the job with either size blade.

What do others think? Thanks

BillyBob

"Jody" wrote in message
You can use the thin with a regular blade and it will only half work. By
that.... you will only get the feather board effect into the fence on
the right side of the blade. The left side will be unsupported by the
jig I would get the kit for both types. It uses the same holes "I think".

The hole patterns are different for the thin and regular kerf splitters.
They did that on purpose.

Bob

B a r r y

Chuck wrote:
I'm thinking about getting the MicroJig Splitter, but was wondering if I
could use the Thin Kerf splitter with either a thin kerf blade or a
regular 1/8 inch blade. Would not want to get both, if the thin kerf
model will do the job with either size blade.

What do others think?

I'd use the splitter the manufacturer recommends. If the insert was
universal, I'm sure they'd sell them that way.

I have an MJ splitter and think it's OK. My only complaint is that on
difficult woods it has pulled out of the zero clearance insert, staying
stuck in the kerf.

I've also used stock splitters, the one that's a little brass pin
mounted to a plastic disc, and Biesemeyer snap-in versions. The Bies is
by far the best, but one is not made for my saw.

The MJ Splitter's installation instructions are kind of amusing. I
think they get a plug in for every other product they make! An
inexperienced woodworker could spend $200 installing a $14 splitter by
following the instructions to the letter. G

Barry

BillyBob

"Chuck" wrote in message
. ..
I'm thinking about getting the MicroJig Splitter, but was wondering if I
could use the Thin Kerf splitter with either a thin kerf blade or a
regular 1/8 inch blade. Would not want to get both, if the thin kerf
model will do the job with either size blade.

Look at the microjig web page and see he write-up on using the thin kerf
splitter in "double" configuration. They state that it can be used for any
thickness blade in this configuration. However, it requires 4" free space
in your insert. This is typically only achievable by raising the blade
partially. They state that most saws can be set up to cut 3/4" stock. The
advertised advantage is that you get no burrning on either side of the cut
using this configuration.

I used the brass pin splitter made by grip-tite for over a year and thought
it was just fine - wrong! The mico-jig consistently helped me make better
cuts.

I thought the thin kerf splitter kit was a bit pricey. After using it, I
think its worth the money.

Bob

Chuck

I've been convinced - will buy separate splitters for each size blade.
Don't think I'll pop for the double splitter quite yet, at least not
until I try the single splitter first. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Chuck