habbi

Default Biscuit jointers and prices

Why is the US retail price of a dewalt and makita biscuit jointer approx.
the same but up here in Canada the Makita averages $150.00 more expensive
than Dewalt and almost impossible to find without special ordering?

Also I recently read a review on biscuit jointers and they listed the Dewalt
as the worst in their out of parallel test, being out 0.017" and the Makita
being perfect. So I have ruled out the Dewalt and want to here opinion on
the porter cable vs. the makita. I can order the Makita or PC from a few
online US retailers and have it delivered for around the price of a local
Dewalt.
Thanks.

CNT

I don't know about the retailing or stocking... But just want to mention
about if getting the PC, be aware about the "Omen Shims" (did I spelled it
right?). It's related to PC Type 2 plate joiner. I like my PC A LOT!

Chuck
Mark Cooper

I bought a PC, it was out .010."

Took it to the PC repair facility, they said that it cannot be fixed...there
is no adjustment for out-of-parallel in that plane.

They pulled a new one off the shelf, tested it. It was out "only" .005."

Walked out with that one.

"habbi" wrote in message
Why is the US retail price of a dewalt and makita biscuit jointer approx.
the same but up here in Canada the Makita averages $150.00 more expensive
than Dewalt and almost impossible to find without special ordering?

Also I recently read a review on biscuit jointers and they listed the
Dewalt
as the worst in their out of parallel test, being out 0.017" and the
Makita
being perfect. So I have ruled out the Dewalt and want to here opinion on
the porter cable vs. the makita. I can order the Makita or PC from a few
online US retailers and have it delivered for around the price of a local
Dewalt.
Thanks.

BillyBob

"CNT" wrote in message
I don't know about the retailing or stocking... But just want to mention
about if getting the PC, be aware about the "Omen Shims" (did I spelled it
right?). It's related to PC Type 2 plate joiner. I like my PC A LOT!

I don't think the type 2 has been manufactured for at least 2 years.

Bob

Patriarch

"habbi" wrote in
:
snip
Also I recently read a review on biscuit jointers and they listed the
Dewalt as the worst in their out of parallel test, being out 0.017"
and the Makita being perfect. So I have ruled out the Dewalt and want
to here opinion on the porter cable vs. the makita. I can order the
Makita or PC from a few online US retailers and have it delivered for
around the price of a local Dewalt.
Thanks.

My DeWalt is well aligned for parallelism. I believe there was an
adjustment written up here in the group on this.

Patriarch

Swingman

"Mark Cooper" wrote in message
I bought a PC, it was out .010."

Took it to the PC repair facility, they said that it cannot be

fixed...there
is no adjustment for out-of-parallel in that plane.

They pulled a new one off the shelf, tested it. It was out "only" .005."

Walked out with that one.

Damn, I'm impressed ... must really slow you down, mic'ing all those
biscuits to those tolerances too, eh?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

RonB

I have used my Dewalt for nearly six years without even knowing about a
parallel test. Not a single complaint.

Joe User

What's the deal with being .01 out of parallel? The slots will either:

a) be cut so that they cross, which will "average out" the error, or

b) be cut so that the slots are parallel to each other (but slightly off
parallel with the surface)

in either case, so what? There's a lot more than .01 slop in the
biscuit itself, I would think.

I also think that throwing that last thousandth in there on a
measurement for wood is false precision, at least for the vast majority
of woodworking. Shoot, I've got a micrometer, good to 0.0001" (so the
box says). I wonder how many different measurements I'd get if I
checked the thickness of a biscuit in the same place a dozen times?

-j
B a r r y

Joe User wrote:
What's the deal with being .01 out of parallel?

You must be new!

This is the 'wreck, where that kind of thing gets blown WAAAY out of
proportion. G

You haven't checked your fence flatnesses with feeler guages and dial
indicators yet?

Barry
RonB

I worked in aerospace for 35 years. Most general airframe work is within
+/-.03 tolerance. But then we didn't use precision bisucit jointers.

Ron

Mark Cooper

Thanks for your dip**** comment.

Let me enlighten you.

If you're using a biscuit joiner that's out of parallel by .010" in one
slot, you are automatically out .020" when you join it to another board.

Add to this whatever the actual biscuit is out...if it's out the opposite
way, you're gold. If it's out the other way, you're even more hosed. Of
course, there's no way to measure anyway, so you control what you can and
don't worry about what you can't.

And all this may be fine when you're gluing up a top and using multiples.

When you're using a single FF biscuit to glue-up one corner of a picture
frame, you now have a twisted joint.

Any of this make sense to you, ****stick?

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Mark Cooper" wrote in message
I bought a PC, it was out .010."

Took it to the PC repair facility, they said that it cannot be

fixed...there
is no adjustment for out-of-parallel in that plane.

They pulled a new one off the shelf, tested it. It was out "only" .005."

Walked out with that one.

Damn, I'm impressed ... must really slow you down, mic'ing all those
biscuits to those tolerances too, eh?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Mark Cooper

And nobody really gives a **** what the outside of an airplane LOOKS
like...so long as it doesn't leak air.

I, on the other hand, don't give a **** whether or not my picture frames
leak air, but I can sure as **** see .030" in a twisted glue-up.

Your analogy is apples and oranges.

But then again, I didn't create an airplane with "precision tools" which
lost its ****ing tail over Brooklyn because the pilot actually "steered"
with it.

"RonB" wrote in message
I worked in aerospace for 35 years. Most general airframe work is within
+/-.03 tolerance. But then we didn't use precision bisucit jointers.

Ron

Doug Miller

In article ,
"Mark Cooper" wrote:
Thanks for your dip**** comment.

[...]
Any of this make sense to you, ****stick?

and, in another thread, also wrote recently
"By the looks of your ****y post, you have a lot to learn".

A friendly word of advice to you, sir: it appears that you have a bit to learn
yourself, including the notion that a newcomer who begins by insulting and
abusing the regulars may find his welcome wearing rather thin, rather quickly.

--
Regards,

Swingman

"Mark Cooper" spewed in message

snip of attempted justification for a case of obtuse stupidity

Any of this make sense to you, ****stick?

LOL ... nothing coming from you so far appears to, ****head. And since
you're obviously in the minority with your "enlightenment", when you finally
get the **** cleaned out of your eyes from having your head up your ass, try
untwisting those panties a bit.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Mark Cooper

Ummmm...no offense, but shouldn't you be giving out bad electrical advice,
Doug?

And lose the tag line...it's old.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mark Cooper" wrote:
Thanks for your dip**** comment.

[...]
Any of this make sense to you, ****stick?

and, in another thread, also wrote recently
"By the looks of your ****y post, you have a lot to learn".

A friendly word of advice to you, sir: it appears that you have a bit to
learn
yourself, including the notion that a newcomer who begins by insulting and
abusing the regulars may find his welcome wearing rather thin, rather
quickly.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , "Mark Cooper" wrote:
Ummmm...no offense, but shouldn't you be giving out bad electrical advice,
Doug?

Sorry, not my department. If you'd been paying attention here, you'd know
that. If you're looking for bad electrical advice, you need to talk to someone
else; if you like, I can suggest a few guys for you to ask.

And lose the tag line...it's old.

I kinda like it. I regret that it bothers you.

I don't regret that enough to change it on your account, though.

--
Regards,

Mark Cooper

My post, admittedly sharp and fully intended to be so, was a response to his
post, where he apparently felt the need to chide me about being able to
measure accurately.

Recall how he said, "must really slow you down, mic'ing all those biscuits
to those tolerances too, eh?"

That sound like a snipe to you? Sure did to me.

I guess in the short few months I've been here, I've seen nothing but this
kind of crap. This newsgroup is one big flamewar because people don't seem
to be able to get along...too many people taking anonymous little shots at
each other. Not too manly if you ask me. Ever seen a little dog barking
like mad at a rottweiler...so long as one or the other is behind a fence?

And worse, I've participated in it too, much to my detriment. Not like me,
but I hate to see rudeness anywhere. Including in me. I see someone else
start it, I usually get in and finish it.

But I'm tired of it, and I'm tired of a lot of the participants around here.
Too many of them spend too much time by themselves...no longer know how to
relate to people...just their tools.

It's a shame, too. Usenet has the ability to be a great forum.

It's just that this one isn't. I've got better ways to get good
information...ways that aren't so damn tiring.

Later on down the road,
Mark Cooper

"Mark Cooper" wrote:
Ummmm...no offense, but shouldn't you be giving out bad electrical advice,
Doug?

Sorry, not my department. If you'd been paying attention here, you'd know
that. If you're looking for bad electrical advice, you need to talk to
someone
else; if you like, I can suggest a few guys for you to ask.

And lose the tag line...it's old.

I kinda like it. I regret that it bothers you.

I don't regret that enough to change it on your account, though.

--
Regards,

Dave Balderstone

In article
, Mark
Cooper wrote:

This newsgroup is one big flamewar because people don't seem
to be able to get along

You don't have a lot of experience with usenet, then?

This newsgroup is one of the most civil and helpul groups in existence.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Cooper" wrote in message
But I'm tired of it, and I'm tired of a lot of the participants around
here. Too many of them spend too much time by themselves...no longer know
how to relate to people...just their tools.

It's a shame, too. Usenet has the ability to be a great forum.

It's just that this one isn't. I've got better ways to get good
information...ways that aren't so damn tiring.

Later on down the road,
Mark Cooper

Does this mean you are leaving us? Sad, how very sad. I keep telling these
guys to lighten up and don't be so nasty, but they just don't listen. Now
this, like losing a brother. It will change though, and when it does I'll
have the moderator contact you so that you may return and participate. You
will be missed by some, I'm sure.

Mark Cooper

Still upset about me takin' you to the hoop a couple weeks ago, huh Ed?

You're precisely the kind I'm talking about. Too much time in the shed,
relate best to your tools (in your case, tool).

You don't work and play well with others; that's why you can't work for
anyone else, and that's why you can't keep any of your "businesses" running
for very long before you switch. You irritate one set of customers, figure
you'll switch to another type business to get some fresh customers. But
word gets out...

But here it is in a nutshell, and it's the cardinal sin of them all:

You're not funny, but you think you are.

Does this mean you are leaving us? Sad, how very sad. I keep telling
these guys to lighten up and don't be so nasty, but they just don't
listen. Now this, like losing a brother. It will change though, and when
it does I'll have the moderator contact you so that you may return and
participate. You will be missed by some, I'm sure.

Robatoy

In article .ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article
, Mark
Cooper wrote:

This newsgroup is one big flamewar because people don't seem
to be able to get along

You don't have a lot of experience with usenet, then?

This newsgroup is one of the most civil and helpul groups in existence.

I agree. By and large, this group is one of the few good ones.
A lot of excellent ideas are being exchanged, a lot of laughs, unbridled
silliness and some bull****. Just like daily life.

If only we had a moderator.

*ducking*
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Cooper" wrote in message

You don't work and play well with others; that's why you can't work for
anyone else, and that's why you can't keep any of your "businesses"
running for very long before you switch. You irritate one set of
customers, figure you'll switch to another type business to get some fresh
customers. But word gets out...

Boy, you got me pegged right. After 15 years, I'm thinking of switching
again in another five or six. You sure are very perceptive.

But here it is in a nutshell, and it's the cardinal sin of them all:

You're not funny, but you think you are.

But I'm working on it. With your help I may recover some day. I appreciate
you taking the time to point out my shortcomings (even left a pun there for
you)

Thanks for helping to making not just USENET, but the world a better place.

Dave Balderstone

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:

If only we had a moderator.

If you weren't a fellow Canukistani I'd Daffyshthlap you
shthilly./Daffy

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Upscale

"Swingman" wrote in message

LOL ... nothing coming from you so far appears to, ****head. And since
you're obviously in the minority with your "enlightenment", when you

finally
get the **** cleaned out of your eyes from having your head up your ass,

try
untwisting those panties a bit.

Ignore him Swingman. Amazingly enough, he's joined the B.A.D. club of
filtered users faster than B.A.D. himself. Nothing like a self-righteous
twit playing the injured party while lashing out at the same time.

Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Mark Cooper" wrote in message
But I'm tired of it, and I'm tired of a lot of the participants
around here. Too many of them spend too much time by themselves...no
longer know how to relate to people...just their tools.

It's a shame, too. Usenet has the ability to be a great forum.

It's just that this one isn't. I've got better ways to get good
information...ways that aren't so damn tiring.

Later on down the road,
Mark Cooper

Does this mean you are leaving us? Sad, how very sad. I keep telling
these guys to lighten up and don't be so nasty, but they just don't
listen. Now this, like losing a brother. It will change though, and
when it does I'll have the moderator contact you so that you may
return and participate. You will be missed by some, I'm sure.

Ed, he's 'gone' already, at least from 'here'.

Patriarch

LRod

On Fri, 13 May 2005 00:56:05 GMT, "Mark Cooper"
wrote:

And worse, I've participated in it too, much to my detriment. Not like me,
but I hate to see rudeness anywhere. Including in me. I see someone else
start it, I usually get in and finish it.

I think I see the problem.

Lack of self control.

But it's Doug's fault, right?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Doug Miller

In article , "Mark Cooper" wrote:
My post, admittedly sharp and fully intended to be so, was a response to his
post, where he apparently felt the need to chide me about being able to
measure accurately.

And you apparently felt the need to respond with a series of obscenities.
[snip]
I guess in the short few months I've been here

That's part of the problem...

, I've seen nothing but this kind of crap. This newsgroup is one big
flamewar because people don't seem
to be able to get along

... and here is the rest of it. If you've "seen nothing but this kind of crap"
it's because you've deliberately been looking for crap, and ignoring the rest.
This NG is one of the most civil ones around, most of the time.

But I'm tired of it, and I'm tired of a lot of the participants around here.

I'm sure that goes the other way, too.

Too many of them spend too much time by themselves...no longer know how to
relate to people...just their tools.

I suppose that calling someone "****wit" or "dip****" illustrates your ideal
of "how to relate to people".

It's a shame, too. Usenet has the ability to be a great forum.

Yes, it is a shame. And you're part of the problem.

It's just that this one isn't. I've got better ways to get good
information...ways that aren't so damn tiring.

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

--
Regards,

Beej-in-GA

"habbi" wrote in message
Is there any chance a PC bought new at Home Depot could be a Type 2? How
can
I tell?

Hi Habbi,
If memory serves, there should be a sticker on the outside of the package
say the type that the machine is. YMMV.
Later,
Beej

Swingman

"Beej-in-GA" wrote in message
"habbi" wrote in message
Is there any chance a PC bought new at Home Depot could be a Type 2?

How
can
I tell?

Hi Habbi,
If memory serves, there should be a sticker on the outside of the package
say the type that the machine is. YMMV.

Also, the serial number plate on the tool will say "Type 3", IIRC.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Old Nick

On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:27:57 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

Looks to me like Swingman should _not_ ignore him. I would like to
watch this slugfest, and I feel that Swingman needs no help G.

"Swingman" wrote in message

LOL ... nothing coming from you so far appears to, ****head. And since
you're obviously in the minority with your "enlightenment", when you

finally
get the **** cleaned out of your eyes from having your head up your ass,

try
untwisting those panties a bit.

Ignore him Swingman. Amazingly enough, he's joined the B.A.D. club of
filtered users faster than B.A.D. himself. Nothing like a self-righteous
twit playing the injured party while lashing out at the same time.

Old Nick

On Thu, 12 May 2005 15:07:34 GMT, B a r r y
wrote:

Oh....bugger..I shouldn't do that? G

You haven't checked your fence flatnesses with feeler guages and dial
indicators yet?

Barry

RonB

But then again, I didn't create an airplane with "precision tools" which
lost its ****ing tail over Brooklyn because the pilot actually "steered"
with it.

My goodness. Lit you off didn't I.

Sorry 'bout that. I wonder if the folks that built some of the elegant 18th
and 19th century furniture and interiors that we all admire had that kind of
tolerance in their tools. I think it was skill.

I also believe that some of the test results we see in popular magazines are
intended to help advertisers sell their equipment.

CNT

Are PC Type 3 fixed, NOT needing of "Owen Shims"? What changes were made?

Chuck

"Type 3"

BillyBob

"CNT" wrote in message
Are PC Type 3 fixed, NOT needing of "Owen Shims"? What changes were made?

Chuck

"Type 3"

they are fixed. there are old threads in this conference that can be
searched on google groups for details. I have a type 3 and it works fine.

Bob

habbi

Thanks for the information. I bought the PC at Home depot and it is a Type
3, I looked at one at another store (Home Hardware) and it was $80.00 more
and it was a type 2.

"BillyBob" wrote in message
ink.net...