David

How about "Trex" that's solid core? Not sure which brands, but they
sure would never rot away like oak. I think Trex is not solid. I used
some composite decking material that's solid all the way through. It
routs like a dream.

Or redwood. Or Duraply.

Ron wrote:

Any suggestion for what to use for wooden signs with names and the like
routed into them?

I use ROak for most of my indoor projects, any thoughts on how it would hold
up outside?

I have a decent source of ROak shorts for $2 - $2.50 bf, S3S.

I don't want to paint them, I'd prefer to stain and top coat if necessary?
What finishes & topcaots would be recommended, deck stains?

I'm also considering Ipe if I can find a decent source of 2' - 3' shorts,
6 - 10" wide.

ThankX again all,

Ron

Bill Waller

On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:01:19 -0400, "Ron" wrote:

Any suggestion for what to use for wooden signs with names and the like
routed into them?

I use ROak for most of my indoor projects, any thoughts on how it would hold
up outside?

I have a decent source of ROak shorts for $2 - $2.50 bf, S3S.

I don't want to paint them, I'd prefer to stain and top coat if necessary?
What finishes & topcaots would be recommended, deck stains?

I'm also considering Ipe if I can find a decent source of 2' - 3' shorts,
6 - 10" wide.

ThankX again all,

Ron

I did my outdoor sign with cedar rubbed down with several coats of BLO. So far,
it has held up nicely through a western Pennsylvania winter.

____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Doug Miller

In article , "Ron" wrote:
Any suggestion for what to use for wooden signs with names and the like
routed into them?

I use ROak for most of my indoor projects, any thoughts on how it would hold
up outside?

Not worth a darn. White oak is a different story, though.

Other naturally rot-resistant woods include cedar, cypress, teak, ipe,
redwood, and black locust. Ipe is probably about as close as you'll get to a
wood that's rot-PROOF.

Routing ipe or black locust could be a bit of a challenge... :-), teak won't
be exactly a walk in the park, and redwood makes one hell of a mess.

I think I'd go for cypress or white oak, myself.

--
Regards,

Todd Fatheree

"Ron" wrote in message
Any suggestion for what to use for wooden signs with names and the like
routed into them?

I use ROak for most of my indoor projects, any thoughts on how it would

hold
up outside?

I have a decent source of ROak shorts for $2 - $2.50 bf, S3S.

I don't want to paint them, I'd prefer to stain and top coat if necessary?
What finishes & topcaots would be recommended, deck stains?

I'm also considering Ipe if I can find a decent source of 2' - 3' shorts,
6 - 10" wide.

ThankX again all,

Ron

My father uses osage orange (or hedge, as he calls it) for just this
purpose. He uses some sort of spar varnish over it (I think).

todd

toller

If you need to make a lot of signs...

http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/sho...ategory_id=834

Used to be in the sign business, and we used a lot of redwood, for
routed as well as sandblasted signs (you mask off your design and
sandblast away 1/4 to 1/2" of the background, works best with a border
left around the edge).

Todd Fatheree wrote:
Ron

My father uses osage orange (or hedge, as he calls it) for just this
purpose. He uses some sort of spar varnish over it (I think).

todd

Dang. Beat me to it. Farmers here in the midwest used it for fence
posts, and one guy said that one hedge apple post will wear out two
holes. Also, that stuff is haaaaard. Cutting with a chainsaw will
throw sparks. I've done it. I currently have all of my contacts in
the arborist business on the lookout for trees.

-Phil Crow

Todd Fatheree

wrote in message
oups.com...

Todd Fatheree wrote:
Ron

My father uses osage orange (or hedge, as he calls it) for just this
purpose. He uses some sort of spar varnish over it (I think).

todd

Dang. Beat me to it. Farmers here in the midwest used it for fence
posts, and one guy said that one hedge apple post will wear out two
holes. Also, that stuff is haaaaard. Cutting with a chainsaw will
throw sparks. I've done it. I currently have all of my contacts in
the arborist business on the lookout for trees.

-Phil Crow

My dad gets a regular supply of what he needs to make signs down in southern
IL. Mind you, he's not looking for trees that can be turned into
dimensional lumber, but something 12-15" around is fine for his sign-making.
By the way, where is "here in the midwest" for you, Phil. I'm originally
from central IL, but now live in the Chicago area.

todd