Christian

Default portercable 690 plunge

Hello,

I have a portercable 690lrvs with a fix base(1001) and a plunger base
(6931). I'm in the process of doing a simple router table and I want to use
my plunge base on the table. Since thts is my only router I'm looking to see
if people have modefied the holding clamp on the plunge base so it's esaiser
to pull out???

Thanks
Christian

Hax Planx

Christian says...

Hello,

I have a portercable 690lrvs with a fix base(1001) and a plunger base
(6931). I'm in the process of doing a simple router table and I want to use
my plunge base on the table. Since thts is my only router I'm looking to see
if people have modefied the holding clamp on the plunge base so it's esaiser
to pull out???

Thanks
Christian

Most people use the fixed base in the table. I don't find it to be a
big deal to just unscrew the fixed base and take it out when I need it.
CW

Another fixed base is only about $35.00. I have one permanently mounted to
the table. About the lock on the plunge base. There is a little trick that
they should put in the manual that makes it work quite easily. When you put
the motor into the plunge base, don't let it slide all the way to the bottom
of the casting, leave about 1/8" gap. When you want to take it out, loosen
the clamp and slide the motor in the rest of the way. The clamp will release
easily. The way suggested in the manual is asinine.

"Christian" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a portercable 690lrvs with a fix base(1001) and a plunger base
(6931). I'm in the process of doing a simple router table and I want to

use
my plunge base on the table. Since thts is my only router I'm looking to

see
if people have modefied the holding clamp on the plunge base so it's

esaiser
to pull out???

Thanks
Christian

CW - thanks, I been struggling with that #$%# clamp since that router
combo came on the market, cursing the "engineer" who designed it each
time I had to change over! I've even considered buying a new router
just because of the poor design of that one part.
One shouldn't have to resort to tool(s) to switch bases.

Thanks again, I'll try your method next time.

HerHusband

Christian,

I have a portercable 690lrvs with a fix base(1001) and a plunger base
(6931). I'm in the process of doing a simple router table and I want
to use my plunge base on the table. Since thts is my only router I'm
looking to see if people have modefied the holding clamp on the plunge
base so it's esaiser to pull out???

I have a Porter Cable 693 combo set like that. I'm not sure how it differs
from the 690, but like you I chose to use the plunge base in my crude
router table.

I didn't make any modifications to the plunge base except for adding an
adjustment knob I bought from Highland Hardware.

http://www.tools-for-
woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1894

(watch the wordwrap in the address).

If I remember right, I just removed the adjustment nuts from the guide rods
and screwed the knob on. Very quick and easy.

My router is easy to access from under the table, so I just flip the lock
lever, turn the knob to adjust the height I need, then lock the lever
again. It works wonderfully.

Anthony

Patriarch

"Christian" wrote in
:

Hello,

I have a portercable 690lrvs with a fix base(1001) and a plunger base
(6931). I'm in the process of doing a simple router table and I want
to use my plunge base on the table.

I have been less than positively impressed with the plunge base for the 690
series. As another poster indicated, a spare fixed base is pretty
inexpensive, and ends up getting a fair anount of use. I put mine in a
horizontal configuration once in a while, for some mortising applications.

Patriarch
Prometheus

On Sat, 07 May 2005 14:42:55 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Another fixed base is only about $35.00. I have one permanently mounted to
the table. About the lock on the plunge base. There is a little trick that
they should put in the manual that makes it work quite easily. When you put
the motor into the plunge base, don't let it slide all the way to the bottom
of the casting, leave about 1/8" gap. When you want to take it out, loosen
the clamp and slide the motor in the rest of the way. The clamp will release
easily. The way suggested in the manual is asinine.

I'm looking to pick up a fixed base for my PC691 to leave in my router
table- anyone have a link to a supplier that has got them at a decent
price? I know it's not exactly on the original topic, but it seemed
like a good thread to throw this into.

Thanks!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Unquestionably Confused

On Sat, 07 May 2005 14:42:55 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Another fixed base is only about $35.00. I have one permanently mounted to
the table. About the lock on the plunge base. There is a little trick that
they should put in the manual that makes it work quite easily. When you put
the motor into the plunge base, don't let it slide all the way to the bottom
of the casting, leave about 1/8" gap. When you want to take it out, loosen
the clamp and slide the motor in the rest of the way. The clamp will release
easily. The way suggested in the manual is asinine.

Nice tip and one that I'll be sure to use IF I ever get my plunge base
to mate with my 690.

I bought a brand new kit, "new, old stock" on eBay. Router works fine
in the fixed base but is damn near impossible to get the motor into the
plunge base. I completely removed the locking unit on the plunge base
and the router motor will not simply slip into the cast plunge base -
it's as if it's a few thousandths shy of the correct diameter. It's not
obviously deformed and if I push like crazy, carefully, it will go in
but then it's equally difficult to remove. Waxing the router motor
helps but only marginally.

PC Tech support says it's not a common problem and cautioned me to make
sure the locking mechanism was totally removed (after ignoring my
statement that that's exactly what I'd already done). They suggested
that if that doesn't work, to take it in to one of their service centers
which I will be doing.

Anyone else run across this problem? It appears as if the casting's
been properly machined, i.e. didn't slip past the inspectors on a lunch
break.

CW

You can't be sure that it was properly machined by looking at it. You need
to measure. If it's that tight, there is a problem. My plunge base also has
a problem. I had had it over a year before I tried to mount an edge guide to
it. I have the PC adjustable edge guide that fits the fixed base just fine.
The mounting holes on the plunge base are out of position far enough that
the edge guide will not fit. I have a PC service center about 1/4 mile down
the road. Asked them about it and they basically said "tough ****".

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
:
[...]

Unquestionably Confused

CW wrote:
You can't be sure that it was properly machined by looking at it. You need
to measure. If it's that tight, there is a problem. My plunge base also has
a problem. I had had it over a year before I tried to mount an edge guide to
it. I have the PC adjustable edge guide that fits the fixed base just fine.
The mounting holes on the plunge base are out of position far enough that
the edge guide will not fit. I have a PC service center about 1/4 mile down
the road. Asked them about it and they basically said "tough ****".

Well, that's certainly good news - NOT!g

Here's the response I received. Hopefully, by taking it to the FACTORY
service center rather than an "Authorized" I might have better luck.

Think I'll dig out the warranty as well. The time has long since
elapsed on this new old stock router set purchased from a private party
but if the base doesn't properly fit the router there may be some
merchantability issues which transcend the warranty. I hope!
Patriarch

Prometheus wrote in
:

snip
I'm looking to pick up a fixed base for my PC691 to leave in my router
table- anyone have a link to a supplier that has got them at a decent
price? I know it's not exactly on the original topic, but it seemed
like a good thread to throw this into.

Uhmmm, I bought mine off the shelf at the local Rockler store. Seemed like
a good idea at the time, three years ago or so.

Patriarch

Prometheus

On Sun, 08 May 2005 15:19:43 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

Prometheus wrote in
:

snip
I'm looking to pick up a fixed base for my PC691 to leave in my router
table- anyone have a link to a supplier that has got them at a decent
price? I know it's not exactly on the original topic, but it seemed
like a good thread to throw this into.

Uhmmm, I bought mine off the shelf at the local Rockler store. Seemed like
a good idea at the time, three years ago or so.

No local Rockler here... and the place I bought the router doesn't
have them, so mail-order is where it's at, unfortunately.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Unquestionably Confused

Prometheus wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2005 15:19:43 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

Prometheus wrote in
m:

snip

I'm looking to pick up a fixed base for my PC691 to leave in my router
table- anyone have a link to a supplier that has got them at a decent
price? I know it's not exactly on the original topic, but it seemed
like a good thread to throw this into.

Uhmmm, I bought mine off the shelf at the local Rockler store. Seemed like
a good idea at the time, three years ago or so.

No local Rockler here... and the place I bought the router doesn't
have them, so mail-order is where it's at, unfortunately.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Give eBay a try. I've seen them there. Prices, as usual, go from
"should I wear a mask when I buy this" to "Are you outta your freaking
mind?"

You never know, you might get lucky and the only way you can overpay is
if you decide you have to have it and catch auction fever.

Lee Gordon

Coastal Tool sells the fixed base for $49. I don't know if this is high,
low, or in the middle but Coastal usually has good prices.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...6+1115741 362

Lee

Patriarch

"Lee Gordon" wrote in
:

Coastal Tool sells the fixed base for $49. I don't know if this is
high, low, or in the middle but Coastal usually has good prices.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...ro_bases.htm?L
+coastest+thjr2707ff46c846+1115741362

Lee

When the stars align properly, you can get the whole fixed speed, fixed
base 690LR router kit for $99.

Patriarch
Prometheus

On Mon, 09 May 2005 19:26:04 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

"Lee Gordon" wrote in
:

Coastal Tool sells the fixed base for $49. I don't know if this is
high, low, or in the middle but Coastal usually has good prices.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...ro_bases.htm?L
+coastest+thjr2707ff46c846+1115741362

Lee

When the stars align properly, you can get the whole fixed speed, fixed
base 690LR router kit for $99.

You're an evil one, Patriarch. Now I want a whole new router, instead
of just the base. Shame on you!

Patriarch

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
B a r r y

Patriarch wrote:

When the stars align properly, you can get the whole fixed speed, fixed
base 690LR router kit for $99.

Where?

'cause I always need another router! G Coastal's $129 for the whole
shebang. I grabbed a Bosch 1617 fixed/fixed, refurbished for $89, last
year.

On another note, I just bought 3/4" genuine Pony pipe clamps for an
everyday low price of $7.96 there! The BORG across the street is $12.96.

Barry
Patriarch

When the stars align properly, you can get the whole fixed speed, fixed
base 690LR router kit for $99.

Where?

My dusty recollection was that HD had them at Christmas time on promo, and
several other sources as well.

As the B&D/PC lines are 'resolved', I would think that opportunities for
additional 'tool investment' might present themselves.

If I were to spend any more right now on tooling, my wife would likely hit
me with the contents of the tool shrine.

Patriarch

Patriarch

http://www.keno.org/stones_lyrics/yo...t_you_want.htm