gary

wrote in message
To appreciate this, you have to know that I'm a smallish remodelling
contractor, a decent enough carpenter and an un-accomplished
woodworker. You also have to know that, like many here, I avoid
BORG's -- particularly Home Depot.

To the story: Had a bunch of tools -- including my Paslode
framing nailer - stolen from my garage. Went to Rona (a Canadian
BORG competitive with Home Depot, to get a replacement. $420.

They had a Porter Cable package on sale -- $499 for a twin tank
compressor and a PC framing nailer. Bought it.

Get home -- no nailer, just the compressor and hose in the carton.
Phone Rona -- talk to the guys in tools. They say we don't have that
particular nailer, but we have a slightly better one .. bring your
bill in and pick it up. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Get the nailer. Stick it in my garage along with the compressor.
Sits there for three weeks until I need it for a job. Think I'd
better set it up and make sure it works. Yup works fine. Load it
into the van. Load all the other tools I'll need. Get the PC
carton out to the street in time for garbage pick up.

Next day, remember a drop cloth --- there's one over in the corner
under a busted lamp. Move the lamp, pick up the drop cloth, and lo
and behold, my "stolen" Paslode framing nailer.

My wife gives me one of those ---Ah, ha! Uh, huh! looks.
Packaging is gone, tools have been used ... son of a gun.

Phone Rona ... talk to the guys in tools. They say bring the PC
compressor and nailer back for a full refund.

Maybe it helps that I know the guys in Tools, maybe it helps that I
have an account. But my guess is that they would have done it for
anyone, maybe not as quickly and cheerfully, but they would have done
it.

I don't like BORG's ... I don't like the "dumbing down" of staff ...
I don't like the declines in quality of tools and materials .... but
Rona ... or at least the one on MacLeod Trail in Calgary ... still
values it's customers.

For what it's worth, your mileage may vary.

Ken

I wouldn't have had the audacity to ask for a full refund after personally
destroying Rona's ability to sell the nailer as new. I guess it helps to
personally know employees who are willing to give you "sweetheart" deals.
With overhead like that, no wonder we have "declines in tools and
materials..."

Mr Fixit eh

And the rest of us pay more for our purchases at Rona. That story goes
well beyond good customer service and ventures into the twilight zone.

Steve

Sweet Sawdust

I wouldn't have had the audacity to ask for a full refund after personally
destroying Rona's ability to sell the nailer as new. I guess it helps to
personally know employees who are willing to give you "sweetheart" deals.
With overhead like that, no wonder we have "declines in tools and
materials..."

I disagree. The company got back a nailer in excellent condition that can
be marked down and put on the bargain table, at a small loss or maybe break
even price. Someone goes in and buys it and posts a gloat either here or
to his neighbors, more people go in to see if they can get a bargain and buy
other items at full markup. End results, you have two happy customers who
advertise how good you are to deal with, more customers in the store, a good
reputation and you have a write off on taxes. Sounds like mighty cheap,
high quality advertising to me.

eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Metalworking 7 December 22nd 04 09:47 PM
eScrew Dave Jackson Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 01:54 AM
Funny story about metal [email protected] Metalworking 10 December 20th 04 05:26 PM
Funny story about repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 20th 04 03:35 AM
HAPPY ENDING: Bought the wrong DRO. Grunty Grogan Metalworking 2 May 10th 04 09:41 PM