Sweet Sawdust

I wouldn't have had the audacity to ask for a full refund after personally
destroying Rona's ability to sell the nailer as new. I guess it helps to
personally know employees who are willing to give you "sweetheart" deals.
With overhead like that, no wonder we have "declines in tools and
materials..."

I disagree. The company got back a nailer in excellent condition that can
be marked down and put on the bargain table, at a small loss or maybe break
even price. Someone goes in and buys it and posts a gloat either here or
to his neighbors, more people go in to see if they can get a bargain and buy
other items at full markup. End results, you have two happy customers who
advertise how good you are to deal with, more customers in the store, a good
reputation and you have a write off on taxes. Sounds like mighty cheap,
high quality advertising to me.