Default Sharpening my stuff--

Hi-
I'm a new guy here, but I need to re-ask an old question. I've read all
the old posts I could find about honing guides, in which none seems to
stand above the others, however, those posts were all back in 2001.

I have the usual planes, chisels, etc. and a Record 405 multi-plane,
whose blades/cutters are fairly short. Is there a honing guide that
will securely hold and allow me to accurately bevel and/or micro-bevel
even the short Record blades.

BTW, if anyone knows where I can obtain the additional cutter set for
the 405 (reasonably), I'd be much obliged.

I'll go back into the weeds now.

Thanks--

Scotsman

You can build guides that work as well as the ones you can buy. What
you build depends on how you sharpen and what you sharpen with.

http://members.shaw.ca/petermichaux/...ningGuide.html

I have the Veritas guide and do not use it. It is more trouble than it
is worth. I'm interested to see what there new one is like.

-Peter

AAvK

Hi-
I'm a new guy here, but I need to re-ask an old question. I've read all
the old posts I could find about honing guides, in which none seems to
stand above the others, however, those posts were all back in 2001.

I have the usual planes, chisels, etc. and a Record 405 multi-plane,
whose blades/cutters are fairly short. Is there a honing guide that
will securely hold and allow me to accurately bevel and/or micro-bevel
even the short Record blades.

BTW, if anyone knows where I can obtain the additional cutter set for
the 405 (reasonably), I'd be much obliged.

I'll go back into the weeds now.

Thanks--

Scotsman

Scotsman, the current Stanley guide will hold short blades, the only site I know
to get it is Garrett Wade, seems like limited production. Also, one of the Richard
Kell guides should work well, precision and expensive. There are other sites to
get them from, a little cheaper. They make a version for sharpening skewed cutters.

The current and ever popular Chinese vise type does have a problem with short
blades, doesn't work too well, and the Veritas small blade holder is too thick for
it.

Highland hardware online, might have the blade set as they "used to" sell the multi
plane, you'd have to ask, but any site that sells Clifton should be able to order them.
Axeminster sells them.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Thanks for the response. Any chance that you'd have links to the sites
you mention. I've not heard of them before. About "any site that sells
Clifton"--what is Clifton? Sorry to be so dumb, but can't help it in
this case. I'm sure I'm woefully un-educated compared to the rest of
you, but only time will cure that. Thanks for your help.

Scotsman

AAvK

Thanks for the response. Any chance that you'd have links to the sites
you mention. I've not heard of them before. About "any site that sells
Clifton"--what is Clifton? Sorry to be so dumb, but can't help it in
this case. I'm sure I'm woefully un-educated compared to the rest of
you, but only time will cure that. Thanks for your help.

Scotsman

OH, so solly so solly... somehow I confused "Record 405" with the "Clifton
multi-plane" up in my brain, both are the same idea, my stupid confusion.

Maybe the Clifton cutters will work on the 405, I do not know but you could
find out. Clifton planes are made in the UK by Clico, which does not have a
website. You might find out by asking Joel, owner of:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/
Another Clifton seller:
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/
And another:
http://japanwoodworker.com/page.asp?content_id=2896
Four blades cheap in england:
http://www.toolbazaar.co.uk/SparesDetails.asp?id=9
And they have a set of 11 cutters:
http://www.toolbazaar.co.uk/SparesDetails.asp?id=25
You could spend the same amount on a used Stanley 45 that comes with
cutters, on eBay.
And even ANOTHER!!!!!!!
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/
And another:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...16-780&ov=3784
And another:
http://www.hartvilletool.com/
And another:
http://www.thebestthings.com/
And another:
http://www.woodcraft.com/
And another:
http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/

Stanley and Kell guides
http://www.garrettwade.com/ other sites sell Kell tools as well.

One of the stresses in the group is: "DAGS"... do a google search. It don't
make you stupid.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Dave in Fairfax

AAvK wrote:
snip
One of the stresses in the group is: "DAGS"... do a google search. It don't
make you stupid.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Dave in Fairfax
--