Paul Kierstead

Default Roll your own sharpening jig (I did it!)

So, my journey down learning-to-turn is still fun. Sharpening has been
kinda ... variable would be kind. I was having some odd catches with the
spindle gouge (haven't tried bowls yet) and a close examination of the
edge proved to show it a disaster. I decided that free-hand sharpening
was a lovely goal but I need to learn one thing at a time. Alas, money
is short, beside I have resolved to quit buying gadgets and Sorby's
comes in at C$115 or so. Off to search for jig plans. Ah, still one of
my favorite newbie resources, Mr. Feltmate has a page on his jig:

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtml

Now, I will admit that "plans" is used loosely here, but still, it look
so simple compared to some others I found, and highly functional. So I
built one:

Basic station:
http://homepage.mac.com/paulkierstead/tmp/station.jpg

Anchored using 1/4-20 inserts in the table top, off-set holder to work
around issues with this grinder wheel.

I first put it to use on a roughing gouge; results:
http://homepage.mac.com/paulkierstea...ughing_tip.jpg

Worked pretty well; *Very* even grind. Mind you, the roughing gouge was
not in that hard of shape. Still, impressively easy to use.

Next up was to do a spindle gouge, a much more complex grind. First of,
gotta make a holder:

http://homepage.mac.com/paulkierstead/tmp/holder.jpg

And then the results:
http://homepage.mac.com/paulkierstea...pindle_tip.jpg

Marvy stuff; ok, totally awesome result.

Some lessons learned:
- Those white fine grit wheels really suck for removing a lot of HSS
steel. I wore a groove in it in record time. Grinding out the spindle
gouge required re-truing the wheel 3 times, and I am not talking about
being picky here; we are talking major tracks in the wheel. One of these
days I have to get a real grinder with a hard coarse wheel on one side.

- you don't need intricate plans. this was one of my most ad-hoc things
I have done and has been a hard lesson for me: Just do it!

- Home-made jigs do not have to be second class; this works amazingly
well.

- If I can smack this togather out of some shop scraps, anyone can!

PK
Leo Van Der Loo

Paul, DAMN you did a good job, and sharp tools and pictures, But now you
can't blame your tools anymore G
Yes a good grinder you need, try to find a good old used (or unused
G) one, let it run, feel if it runs good, and you will have a better
grinder and maybe even for a steal, if you have to buy a new one get a
8" or 10" 1700rpm one.
You will never regret buying the best

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Paul Kierstead wrote:

[...]

Darrell Feltmate

Paul

Great job and thanks for the remarks on the site. You are right. One of
these days I have to upgrade the sharpening page. I have the stuff ready for
grinder set up and need to do some better pics for the jig, but it is so
simple that anyone can do it anyway.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Woodcut tools 2000 Ltd sales

This is great.
I would love to see more people challenged to aim for perfection at the
cutting edge.
I have recently returned from Australia where I demonstrated tool shaping
and sharpening methods and challenged the club members to aim for a quality
egde when sharpening.
If it isnt happening at the tool sharpening center then it will never happen
at the lathe. Go Paul
"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
news
[...]

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Darrell

You have one off the most help full sites for all us turners, and I
thank you for that, as you say its all so simple, yes when you know it's
that but there are a lot of people that have made use of your straight
forward advice, i made some of your angle wing and banana boat bowls,
they where fun, took some as gifts for friends in holland, and were well
received.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Paul

Great job and thanks for the remarks on the site. You are right. One of
these days I have to upgrade the sharpening page. I have the stuff ready for
grinder set up and need to do some better pics for the jig, but it is so
simple that anyone can do it anyway.

RonB

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Paul

Great job and thanks for the remarks on the site. You are right. One of
these days I have to upgrade the sharpening page. I have the stuff ready
for
grinder set up and need to do some better pics for the jig, but it is so
simple that anyone can do it anyway.

Darrell - you are famous!

I was in a lathe specialty shop (should probably remain anonomous) a while
back. I explained I was a newbie and was having trouble with gouge
sharpening. I got a pretty good demonstration from a salesperson on the
Wolverine system and was impressed. Then, to my amazement, he said if I
didn't want to spend the cash now, go to your site. Your home-built
solution "did a fine job" He even pulled you up on the store computer.

I was very pleased with the honesty but don't want this guy to get fired.

Darrell Feltmate

Wow. I am flattered and a bit embarrassed. All I did for my jig was to look
at the old Ellsworth jig ideas before he got them pre-made, stare at a
couple of commercial models, and picture the end of a gouge moving inside a
projected cone. Then I built what would work. This is cool.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate