Nigel Burnett

Default how to get that shiny black finish

Someone is interested in having me make Koto instrument stands. After the cabinetry I've been doing lately, these look
pretty simple. Does the shiny black finish have a name so I can look up how it's done? tia - Nigel
ed_h

Nigel Burnett wrote:
Someone is interested in having me make Koto instrument stands. After

the cabinetry I've been doing lately, these look
pretty simple. Does the shiny black finish have a name so I can look

up how it's done? tia - Nigel

I achieve this using automotive materials and techniques--multiple
coats of sprayed lacquer, wet sanded between coats, followed by
multiple coats of clear lacquer also wet sanded. After final coat, wet
sand with finer grades of wet paper, followed by automotive rubbing and
polishing compounds.

BillyBob

"Nigel Burnett" wrote in message
Someone is interested in having me make Koto instrument stands. After the

cabinetry I've been doing lately, these look
pretty simple. Does the shiny black finish have a name so I can look up

how it's done? tia - Nigel

Lacquer - applied in many coats

BillyB

Robatoy

In article ,
Nigel Burnett wrote:

Someone is interested in having me make Koto instrument stands. After the
cabinetry I've been doing lately, these look
pretty simple. Does the shiny black finish have a name so I can look up how
it's done? tia - Nigel

http://www.pianolac.com/

Amazing stuff! (Water clean-up too..and virtually no smell!)

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Nigel Burnett wrote:
Someone is interested in having me make Koto instrument stands. After
the cabinetry I've been doing lately, these look
pretty simple. Does the shiny black finish have a name so I can look up
how it's done? tia - Nigel

Epoxy has moxie,
But lacquer is blacquer.