Robin S.

Default Premium HSS: Black oxide, bring finish, TiN..

At work, we're about to change our standard jobber drill bits from:

Dormer 2-tone HSS drills w/ split point (bronze/black oxide finish)

Dormer bright finish w/ splint point and TiN coating roughly 1/5 of the
length of the drill, from the tip of course.

These are premium HSS bits. I have used Dormer, Precision Twist Drill and a
couple of other premium brands and I prefer Dormer.

I'm wondering if anyone has comments on a TiN coated bit as opposed to black
oxide finish. We sell these bits to (essentially) everyone who asks for a
metal-cutting drill bit. The next step up is HSCo at about twice the price.

These bits will be used for all metals, but primarily aluminum, steel
(carbon, alloy, tool and stainless), brass, copper, etc. As far as machines,
these bits will be used in hand drills, drill presses, radial arm drill
presses, manual and CNC machines.

So, would you spend the extra 10% on the TiN coating?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Regards,

Robin

Bads2°°5

as far as im aware there can be a reaction between tin coated drills and
ally making them stick so tend to stick to uncoated don't know wether anyone
else has heard this? usually use titex myself......