Default chip breakers (Lie-Nielson)

I was looking at a Lie-Nielson plane today and noticed how different
the chip breaker is. It is a flat piece of metal that looks like it has
been ground on the blade side so that a little lip stick up at the end.
The grinding marks really puzzled me. Like, how can they make it that
way? The grinding for the majority is along the length of the breaker
all the way down to the little lip. It's the all the way part that made
me wonder what was going on. How can they do that?

What is the advantage of their chip breaker style over the bent Stanley
type? What are the Hock breakers like?

AAvK

Ron is also making that thicker style cap-iron these days.

Chuck Vance

I have a couple of those, the screw is too far back from the end and so the
gap between it and the blade is too loose, it makes tight contact but easily
takes in shavings, jamming in there when the screw is as tight as it can get.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Glen

Prometheus wrote:
SNIP

FWIW, I know Mr. Lee follows this group, so you may want to repost
this with something like "Attn: Rob Lee" As he is the guy
responsible for making so many of us drool over those Lie-Nielsons, he
may be the best equipped to answer your question.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Mr. Lee does follow this group, but he is the genius behind Veritus (Lee
Valley). BTW, there is a great article in Popular Woodworking this
month comparing the two planes.

Glen

Ron Hock

AAvK wrote:
Ron is also making that thicker style cap-iron these days.

Chuck Vance

I have a couple of those, the screw is too far back from the end and so the
gap between it and the blade is too loose, it makes tight contact but easily
takes in shavings, jamming in there when the screw is as tight as it can get.

Yours is the first I've heard of such a problem, and we've sold a lot of
those breakers (and received many testimonials to their efficacy). The
screw location is a Stanley function. It has to fit the
plane/frog/depth-adjuster. And they're ground to a sharp edge that can't
lift off the back of the blade. The small bend in the breaker often
springs the blade slightly and the whole assembly then gets clamped down
tightly by the lever cap. I can't imagine how you're getting shavings
under the breaker. I would appreciate it if you'd contact me directly
with specifics. I don't want to post my email here (enough spam already)
but if you go to the website, you can contact me from there.

Thanks,
Ron

--
Ron Hock