Conan The Librarian

I was looking at a Lie-Nielson plane today and noticed how different
the chip breaker is. It is a flat piece of metal that looks like it has
been ground on the blade side so that a little lip stick up at the end.
The grinding marks really puzzled me. Like, how can they make it that
way? The grinding for the majority is along the length of the breaker
all the way down to the little lip. It's the all the way part that made
me wonder what was going on. How can they do that?

What is the advantage of their chip breaker style over the bent Stanley
type? What are the Hock breakers like?

I don't have the newer style cap-iron that L-N is producing now, but
from seeing the pictures, it looks like it is thicker at the business
end, and thus would help dampen vibration better than the old style
cap-irons. (And dampening vibration is the primary function of a
cap-iron, rather than "chip-breaking", at least on a plane set up to
take a very fine shaving.)

Ron is also making that thicker style cap-iron these days.

Chuck Vance