Mark & Juanita

Default Bosch 1613 EVS Bit Alignment?

I determined that the reason I had so much trouble getting good
results with my dovetail jig is the fact that the bit is not centered with
the base bushing. I checked the manual, and also did a Google search, but
haven't been able to find anything on aligning the base and the collet.
Looking at the router doesn't present any obvious method for alignment.
Has anyone else had this problem and do you have any guidance on how to
adjust to center the bit in the bushing? This is off pretty badly -- on
the order of between 1/32 and 1/16" off center, so it makes a big
difference in results and with things like the dovetail jig, it doesn't
appear that keeping the router in the same orientation through all cuts
will resolve this large an offset problem.

The other puzzler is I'm not sure how it got off-center. In the
past, I have used a PC adapter with 1/8" bit and an inlay bushing to cut
dutchmen for one of my previous projects -- the router could not have been
off that much or the router bit would not have fit into the guide bushing.
To the best of my knowledge, the router has never been dropped and I try to
take good care of my tools, so I know it has not been abused.

A wheelbarrow! Why didn't you say we had a wheelbarrow; you should
have included that in our list of assets!
Wesley -- Princess Bride
George

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

I determined that the reason I had so much trouble getting good
results with my dovetail jig is the fact that the bit is not centered with
the base bushing. I checked the manual, and also did a Google search, but
haven't been able to find anything on aligning the base and the collet.
Looking at the router doesn't present any obvious method for alignment.
Has anyone else had this problem and do you have any guidance on how to
adjust to center the bit in the bushing? This is off pretty badly -- on
the order of between 1/32 and 1/16" off center, so it makes a big
difference in results and with things like the dovetail jig, it doesn't
appear that keeping the router in the same orientation through all cuts
will resolve this large an offset problem.

Not the answer you want, but I gave up on the built-in and added a base with
PC-capable bore.

The 1617 is nuts on. Go figure.

news.east.cox.net

I have the 1617 and it was recommended that I get the OEM bushing kit. In
spite of the quality of the router itself, the bushing kit was simply junk.
Same off center problem. It was nowhere near the machined quality of the PC
type bushing.

However, don't dispare, I found a place the offers Bosch router parts,
including a PC kit.

http://www.internationaltool.com/boschrouteraccys.htm

and specifically

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/boschpow...athteguad.html

Len

[...]

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:22:45 -0400, "news.east.cox.net"
wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, I have one of those for the PC inlay bushing I
bought (and used) several years ago. Just went out and checked with the
centering bit; with the above adapter and a 1/4" PC bushing installed, the
bit is still off-center. I measured the Bosch templates, edge to center
with my caliper -- the worst the sides were off was about 0.005" -- that
doesn't seem to be the source of the off-center problem. It appears that
somehow, the base to collet alignment is off and I'm not sure when that
happened. Nor do I have any idea how to make it better again.

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
A wheelbarrow! Why didn't you say we had a wheelbarrow; you should
have included that in our list of assets!
Wesley -- Princess Bride
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:22:40 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the idea. Did you make the base yourself, or does a
replacement base (with some adjustment capability) exist somewhere? As I
mentioned in another post, I measured with a PC adapter installed and a PC
bushing -- there is definitely a misalignment between the collet and the
base. How much depth did you lose with your alternate base?

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
A wheelbarrow! Why didn't you say we had a wheelbarrow; you should
have included that in our list of assets!
Wesley -- Princess Bride
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

George

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:22:40 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Not the answer you want, but I gave up on the built-in and added a base

with
PC-capable bore.

The 1617 is nuts on. Go figure.

Thanks for the idea. Did you make the base yourself, or does a
replacement base (with some adjustment capability) exist somewhere? As I
mentioned in another post, I measured with a PC adapter installed and a PC
bushing -- there is definitely a misalignment between the collet and the
base. How much depth did you lose with your alternate base?

No real depth loss, and I think the base was from MLCS, though there are
enough out there. Key is to get one with counterbores and flat screws
rather than taper. Once it was centered, I tucked some CA glue on the
edges.