stoutman

Default Stanley LeverLock = JUNK

This is my second tape measure to have the claw break off. Less than 1-year
old and the claw broke off and the tape wound up into the body.

Crapola!!

Charley

Send them back to Stanley. (I did) They'll send you a new on plus a spare
(both also Crapola, but you will have another year's use out of them.)
Maybe, if enough of us send them back, Stanley will do something about them.
--
Charley

"stoutman" wrote in message
.com...
This is my second tape measure to have the claw break off. Less than

1-year
old and the claw broke off and the tape wound up into the body.

Crapola!!

CW

I've got two of them. One in my toolbox at work. Had that one for about ten
years. Mylar on blade starting to peel due to metal working coolant but
otherwise fine. Other one I use at home. When I hear of hooks breaking off,
I wonder why someone hasn't let that individual in on the old trick of not
letting it slam into the case.

"Charley" wrote in message
.com...
Send them back to Stanley. (I did) They'll send you a new on plus a spare
(both also Crapola, but you will have another year's use out of them.)
Maybe, if enough of us send them back, Stanley will do something about

them.
--
Charley

"stoutman" wrote in message
.com...
This is my second tape measure to have the claw break off. Less than

1-year
old and the claw broke off and the tape wound up into the body.

Crapola!!

Mike Marlow

"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've got two of them. One in my toolbox at work. Had that one for about

ten
years. Mylar on blade starting to peel due to metal working coolant but
otherwise fine. Other one I use at home. When I hear of hooks breaking

off,
I wonder why someone hasn't let that individual in on the old trick of not
letting it slam into the case.

That was my initial thought as well.

--

-Mike-

Dave in Fairfax

CW wrote

Mike Marlow wrote:
That was my initial thought as well.

That's what I figured as well until I stopped by Sears today to
see if they had corner chisel, they didn't, BTW. I saw a tape
being returned, they clip isn't what broke off. The entire end of
the tape broke off. The clip was still attached to about 2" of
the tape and the tape had snapped off. I asked the guy behind the
counter if they'd come up with a way to fix the problem yet and he
replied....
Wait for it....
"Yeah, you bring them in and we replace them."
Seriously.
Corner chisels weren't even in their catalog, but neither were
wood chisels of any type. Pretty scarey.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

J. Clarke

CW wrote:

Sears sells Stanley tapes now?

Sears sells a lot of stuff that is not Sears brand. I don't recall whether
the local store has Stanley tapes on the shelf but they certainly have
Starrett.

[...]

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Dave in Fairfax

CW wrote:
Sears sells Stanley tapes now?

They seem to be selling just about every brand they can get their
hands on. I saw Stanley and Great Neck parked next to each
other. It was an epiphany. They really are Kmart.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

J. Clarke

CW wrote:

I thought this thread was about Stanley tapes, now you tell me that it
applies to any brand that starts with an S... OK.

No, I'm saying that Sears carries non-Sears products. If I had known that
an exhaustive list of the brands of tape that Sears carries was so
important to you I would have photographed the tape display in Sears today
when I walked through and posted it to the binary group.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
CW wrote:

[...]

J. Clarke

stoutman wrote:

I wouldn't start an argument with Clarke. He is VERY unstable and will
debate you until he has the last word.

No, just until you see the error of your ways.

Warning

nk.net...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
CW wrote:

[...]

J. Clarke

CW wrote:

I know. The whole point sailed right over his head anyway. I'd have to
retrieve it first.

What "point" do you think you were making by asking if Sears carried Stanley
tapes? I thought you were merely expressing surprise. If you had some
"point" to make then you need to improve your communications skills.

"stoutman" wrote in message
.. .
I wouldn't start an argument with Clarke. He is VERY unstable and will
debate you until he has the last word.

Warning

nk.net...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
CW wrote:

[...]

J. Clarke

stoutman wrote:

I wouldn't start an argument with Clarke. He is VERY unstable and will
debate you until he has the last word.

Warning

By the way, since you choose to make personal attacks when you haven't even
been addressed, it's clear that you're just looking for a fight. Well,
plonk.

nk.net...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
CW wrote:

[...]

J. Clarke

CW wrote:

Your reading comprehension is what needs work.

Thank you for pointing out that my killfile needs another entry.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Norman D. Crow

Just *had* to get curious & look @ the whole thread.

Now I know why I didn't look @ it to start with.
--
Nahmie

Dave in Fairfax

"Norman D. Crow" wrote:
Just *had* to get curious & look @ the whole thread.
Now I know why I didn't look @ it to start with.

I know. I feel kinda sorry about commenting in the first place.
Dontcha just love the way things devolve in to ****ing matches.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Prometheus

That's what I figured as well until I stopped by Sears today to
see if they had corner chisel, they didn't, BTW. I saw a tape
being returned, they clip isn't what broke off. The entire end of
the tape broke off. The clip was still attached to about 2" of
the tape and the tape had snapped off. I asked the guy behind the
counter if they'd come up with a way to fix the problem yet and he
replied....
Wait for it....
"Yeah, you bring them in and we replace them."
Seriously.

We had a bunch of craftsman tapes at work about six months ago, and I
initially though it was great, as I could just take the suckers in and
replace them when they got broke or wore out. The thing I discovered
was that although they may replace the tape- they replace it with a
"reconditioned" tool. That would be fine if they were as good as an
original, but it sure seemed to me like the tapes were repainted
(poorly), as the markings would smudge off after one or two splashes
of metalworking coolant. After about a month of going to Sears every
Friday because I couldn't read the damn markings anymore, I just gave
up and traded the things in for a couple of those cheap Lufkin ones.
Even though those suckers are only about $4 apiece and come in a
vomitous array of neon colors, they still work better than the
Craftsman ones did. Still wish I had something better than the
Lufkins, but Craftsman certainly wasn't the answer.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 01 May 2005 06:55:50 -0500, the inscrutable Prometheus
spake:

of metalworking coolant. After about a month of going to Sears every
Friday because I couldn't read the damn markings anymore, I just gave
up and traded the things in for a couple of those cheap Lufkin ones.
Even though those suckers are only about $4 apiece and come in a
vomitous array of neon colors, they still work better than the
Craftsman ones did. Still wish I had something better than the
Lufkins, but Craftsman certainly wasn't the answer.

When will you people learn?

When you stain and poly furniture, you complain--every time.

When you overpay for Crapsman tools and have quality, usability,
and warranty problems, you complain--every time.

JUST SAY NO to stain, poly, and Crapsman! Problems solved.

--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! || http://diversify.com
Boycott Baby Oil! || Programmed Websites