Franz Fripplfrappl

Default Trimming countertop power tool

Looking for tool type, brand and source.

When installing a laminated countertop on kitchen cabinets, the installer
had some sort of router which trimmed the side and back edges of the
counter to fit the contour of the walls. He did this without scribing.

Any idea what power tool this may be? Seemed to be a specialized tool.
Unfortunately installer was somewhat protective of it and would not let
one examine it too close.

Franz Fripplfrappl

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:24:26 +0000, Ba r r y wrote:

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 05:56:34 -0500, Franz Fripplfrappl
wrote:

When installing a laminated countertop on kitchen cabinets, the installer
had some sort of router which trimmed the side and back edges of the
counter to fit the contour of the walls. He did this without scribing.

Any idea what power tool this may be?

Possibly something like this, with one of the bases installed:
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr97311.htm?L+coastest+qxfc7656ffb12ab1+1114258263

Barry

Thanks. I checked the site and this may be the gadget used.

Robatoy

In article ,
Franz Fripplfrappl wrote:

Thanks. I checked the site and this may be the gadget used.

Those types of trimmers are designed to trim laminate, not countertops.
They simply don't have the stamina to cut through 11/16 particle
board/MDF with laminate on top. If the countertop is the post-formed
variety, with backsplash already attached, it is possible if the
particle board is undercut ahead of time (either a bevel or a rabbet),
leaving a thin edge, which a trimmer with an offset base can negotiate.

I used a triangular base on a 2 HP Bosch with a bearing bolted on one
corner. I then pulled the counter away from the wall, found the distance
between the bearing and the bit, turned on the router and followed the
wall. Router orientation was critical and not for the squeamish. Corners
would still have to be scribed and finished with a 1" Makita belt sander.
(Those little Makita belt sanders are the cat's pyjamas, too bad they
want so much money for them.)

2 cents, no change.
David

Laminate trimmer with a scribe base installed. Porter Cable, among
others, makes such a tool.

Dave

Franz Fripplfrappl wrote:

Looking for tool type, brand and source.

When installing a laminated countertop on kitchen cabinets, the installer
had some sort of router which trimmed the side and back edges of the
counter to fit the contour of the walls. He did this without scribing.

Any idea what power tool this may be? Seemed to be a specialized tool.
Unfortunately installer was somewhat protective of it and would not let
one examine it too close.

Underground wiring questions... guest987 Home Repair 52 February 2nd 05 01:52 AM
Most useless power tool you own? David Woodworking 116 January 16th 05 04:10 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM
what should I choose as my first power tool? àV Woodworking 3 July 13th 03 05:05 AM