Cyrille de Brébisson

Default need help for making inlay

hello,

I am trying to make an inlay (A (hp) logo) and this is my first experience
in making inlay...

does anyone has a link to a good webpage that explains how to do such things
with all the tricks and hints?

thanks, cyrille

Australopithecus scobis

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:01:26 +0000, Cyrille de Brébisson wrote:

does anyone has a link to a good webpage that explains how to do such things
with all the tricks and hints?

Off to the library you go. _Marquetry & Inlay Handbook_, by Zachary
Taylor. One I've never looked at is _The Marquetry Course_, by Jack
Metcalfe and John Apps.

(I've built the V-slot sawing jig, and am shopping for a fretsaw.)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com

WillR

Cyrille de Brébisson wrote:
hello,

I am trying to make an inlay (A (hp) logo) and this is my first experience
in making inlay...

does anyone has a link to a good webpage that explains how to do such things
with all the tricks and hints?

thanks, cyrille

Go to my links page

http://woodwork.pmccl.com

Links to Marquetry Society there.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:01:26 GMT, the inscrutable "Cyrille de
Brébisson" spake:

hello,

I am trying to make an inlay (A (hp) logo) and this is my first experience
in making inlay...

Why do an HP logo? Sacre bleu!

does anyone has a link to a good webpage that explains how to do such things
with all the tricks and hints?

Try your local library for books on inlay, intarsia, or marquetry.

Look for David Marks' "Wood Works" episodes with inlay he
http://web.diynet.com/diy/web/search... hString=inlay
He covers it fairly well.

What doesn't kill you + http://diversify.com
....makes you hurt more. + Web application programming
SonomaProducts.com

Find someone with a laser. We have one in our shop and do perfect inlay
by lazing (my word) the shape in the wood about 1/32" deep. Then we laz
the same shape out of a piece of veener. Glue, sand, beauty!

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:01:26 GMT, "Cyrille de Brébisson"
wrote:

I am trying to make an inlay (A (hp) logo) and this is my first experience
in making inlay...

You could use the pair of natty little 3D printers in Building 3 - oh, I
remember, Kali had them dumped 8-(

These are small letters with short straight lines and curves. They'd be
hard to do with traditional woodworking inlay, which works better for
for straight lines or big curves. A much easier approach is to use a
"glue inlay".

Sand the surface well and seal it with a wash coat of shellac. Cut the
ground for the inlay, using a sharp knife and a variety of tiny chisels.
Infill this with filled and coloured epoxy, generously applied over the
surface. leave it to harden, then take it down flat with a cabinet
scraper. The epoxy should be filled enough to make it less brittle and
easier to scrape down, but not so heavily filled that it's too viscious
to work into the corners.

The Zachary Taylor book is good. Freshly out of distribution, it seems
to be flooding the surplus bookshops and eBay - grab a copy while it's
around.

BUTTERFLY INLAY J T Woodworking 0 January 11th 05 06:26 AM
Lee Valley Inlay Kit 04J26.05 Kevin Woodworking 8 January 5th 05 11:13 PM
inlay directions bob kupferer Woodworking 1 October 21st 04 05:06 PM
Inlay glue? Darren Woodturning 4 July 16th 04 08:32 AM
ebony inlay - quick question brocpuffs Woodworking 1 April 23rd 04 07:59 AM