Default Dovetail Jig: which one---Leigh - Keller - Woodrat - Festool?

I have a new Festool Jigsaw and saw in their catalog they have a nice
dovetail jig...I did not know that.

As I am quite impressed with everything Festool I have seen, I am
wondering if I should try their Dovetail Jig.

Of course, I like the Leigh, Akeda and Keller, too. In addition, I am
intrigued by the Woodrat...any suggestions? Price is not an issue.

Tattooed and Dusty

If price is not a concern I would suggest purchasing all four.

You then have two options,
1)perfrom extensive testing to see which works best for the dovetail
needs you have

2)Or have them all sent to me. I can run independent testing on all
four models, prepare some spreadsheets of their relative strengths and
weaknesses, then send you the winning model.

I like this option...what is your shipping address?

2)Or have them all sent to me. I can run independent testing on all
four models, prepare some spreadsheets of their relative strengths and
weaknesses, then send you the winning model.

George

wrote in message
I have a new Festool Jigsaw and saw in their catalog they have a nice
dovetail jig...I did not know that.

As I am quite impressed with everything Festool I have seen, I am
wondering if I should try their Dovetail Jig.

Of course, I like the Leigh, Akeda and Keller, too. In addition, I am
intrigued by the Woodrat...any suggestions? Price is not an issue.

I use the Leigh, find it easy to set up and use once the initial learning is
internalized. Pricey, though.

Tattooed and Dusty

Yeah, I thought you might like that one.

Andrew

Never Enough Money

Akeda.

http://www.akeda.com/

Also see:
http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/Le...rsusAkeda.html

charlie b

I have a new Festool Jigsaw and saw in their catalog they have a nice
dovetail jig...I did not know that.

As I am quite impressed with everything Festool I have seen, I am
wondering if I should try their Dovetail Jig.

Of course, I like the Leigh, Akeda and Keller, too. In addition, I am
intrigued by the Woodrat...any suggestions? Price is not an issue.

Consider another, quite different approach - The JoinTech
Cabiinet Maker System. It's a router table with a precision
positionable fence (as in adjustable in thousandths) that uses
paper templates to index where the bit will cut. Cut the tails
with the part flat on the table, the pins with the part
square to the table and 90s to the fence. Has the advantage
of having a nice, precise fenced router table - which you'll
probably end up getting anyway somewhere along the line.
This one does that exceptionally well as well. Split fence,
replacable zero clearance inserts, built in dust collection
in the fence, uses normal, readily available router bits,
rather than "special" bits or collars, . . .

Wanna make sliding dovetails of ANY length AND fine
tune the fit? This'll do it. Want to do perfectly fit
lock miter joints - this'll do it (with the normal trial
and error set up - unless you also get the set up block)
Check it out.

http://www.jointech.com/woodworking1.htm

I've got enough stuff that I have to find a place to store
when not in use (but I still acquire another "where the
hell am I gonna put this thing?" when the "gotta have one
of those!" moods hits me)

But the Akeda does look pretty slick.

charlie b