Australopithecus scobis

Default English mortise chisels -- link for neanders

Greetings,
I just noticed new English mortise chisels offered by The Museum of
Woodworking tools:
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Produ ct_Code=MS-MORT.XX&Category_Code=BS
(watch the wrap.)

If you're a neander and haven't seen the ad yet, take a look.

(not affiliated, just wanted to share the info.)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com

AAvK

I saw that, Ray Iles is making the hefty "pig sticker" ones, the 1/2" is
$95 and too much. They should be quite the awesome quality.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:05:54 -0700, "AAvK" wrote:

the 1/2" is $95 and too much.

My last ones were three for $5, although I did have to replace the
handles.

Anyone know how to replace the handles on these chisels ? I've found
it quite difficult so far.

My handles are turned hornbeam. Only having a simple lathe, I;ve
turned them as a simple cone and then planed the sides flat. I then
need to form a central hole to take the tang. Now the tang on a
pigsticker is huge, very tapered and some of them even have rasp-like
barbs chiselled into the edges.

I can't drill a hole for the tang, unless I find myself a square
pyramid-shaped drill. I can't burn a hole for the tang, because the
barbs on the tang only allow me to set the tang into the handle once,
then leave it in there.

So far I've split as many handles as I have successfully fitted.
AAvK

I would use a mortice machine and choke it 40% with titebond "titen"
goop (for screws) or epoxy. Actually, Ray Iles is there in England I believe,
I bet he would tell you how to do it... ? Unless of course he's long dead...
(quick search) Oh no he isn't dead as I've just discovered, he is alive and
carrying on with this website: http://www.oldtools.free-online.co.uk/
Ashley was his father! Give him a call.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Joe Gorman

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Make a fitting tang of scrap the same size as the chisels' but without
the barbs. burn it in just shy of full depth then use the chisel itself
for the final depth.
Or, grind off the barbs.
Joe