Andy Dingley

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:05:54 -0700, "AAvK" wrote:

the 1/2" is $95 and too much.

My last ones were three for $5, although I did have to replace the
handles.

Anyone know how to replace the handles on these chisels ? I've found
it quite difficult so far.

My handles are turned hornbeam. Only having a simple lathe, I;ve
turned them as a simple cone and then planed the sides flat. I then
need to form a central hole to take the tang. Now the tang on a
pigsticker is huge, very tapered and some of them even have rasp-like
barbs chiselled into the edges.

I can't drill a hole for the tang, unless I find myself a square
pyramid-shaped drill. I can't burn a hole for the tang, because the
barbs on the tang only allow me to set the tang into the handle once,
then leave it in there.

So far I've split as many handles as I have successfully fitted.