Steve Knight

Default Man that japanese chisel is sharp.

I was making a cut on a plane with my fantastic sword steel chisel from Misugi
designs. Been using it for a couple weeks since I sharpened it and it is still
very sharp. I did this Tuesday when the piece popped off and my wrist rotated
right into the chisel. Looks like it is closing up well but it can sure ache.
Makes gripping things a pain. Be careful out there.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/stiches.jpg

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Prometheus

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:47:12 -0700, Steve Knight
wrote:

I was making a cut on a plane with my fantastic sword steel chisel from Misugi
designs. Been using it for a couple weeks since I sharpened it and it is still
very sharp. I did this Tuesday when the piece popped off and my wrist rotated
right into the chisel. Looks like it is closing up well but it can sure ache.
Makes gripping things a pain. Be careful out there.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/stiches.jpg

Keep that up, and you'll look like me. (The wife has recently taken to
calling me Frankenstein)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

I was making a cut on a plane with my fantastic sword steel chisel from Misugi
designs. Been using it for a couple weeks since I sharpened it and it is still
very sharp. I did this Tuesday when the piece popped off and my wrist rotated
right into the chisel. Looks like it is closing up well but it can sure ache.
Makes gripping things a pain. Be careful out there.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/stiches.jpg

Yow! Hope that gets to feeling better soon.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Lowell Holmes

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
I was making a cut on a plane with my fantastic sword steel chisel from
Misugi
designs. Been using it for a couple weeks since I sharpened it and it is
still
very sharp. I did this Tuesday when the piece popped off and my wrist
rotated
right into the chisel. Looks like it is closing up well but it can sure
ache.
Makes gripping things a pain. Be careful out there.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/stiches.jpg

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve,
I have a band aid autographed by Roy Undrhill.
If I send you a band aid, will you autograph it so I can start a collection?

:-)

Robatoy

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

I was making a cut on a plane with my fantastic sword steel chisel from
Misugi
designs. Been using it for a couple weeks since I sharpened it and it is
still
very sharp. I did this Tuesday when the piece popped off and my wrist rotated
right into the chisel. Looks like it is closing up well but it can sure
ache.
Makes gripping things a pain. Be careful out there.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/stiches.jpg

Ouch! That was close to a nice-size vein as well.
Getter better soon!

Dave in Fairfax

Lowell Holmes wrote:
Steve,
I have a band aid autographed by Roy Undrhill.
If I send you a band aid, will you autograph it so I can start a collection?

If he pushed a chisel into his wrist, he's lucky that he wasn't
hurt worse. Sounds like a bandaid may not be enough. Even a dull
chisel is sharp and you can make a nice slice before you can
react.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Steve Knight

Steve,
I have a band aid autographed by Roy Undrhill.
If I send you a band aid, will you autograph it so I can start a collection?

:-)

if you want me to use it first you need to send one of those jumbo ones (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

Ouch! That was close to a nice-size vein as well.
Getter better soon!

I was freaking because of that. it bled like crazy then just stopped.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Lowell Holmes wrote:
I have a band aid autographed by Roy Undrhill.

No value in that. He must have a million of them!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Teamcasa

Ouch!
I hope you heal fast.
Dave

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
I was making a cut on a plane with my fantastic sword steel chisel from
Misugi
designs. Been using it for a couple weeks since I sharpened it and it is
still
very sharp. I did this Tuesday when the piece popped off and my wrist
rotated
right into the chisel. Looks like it is closing up well but it can sure
ache.
Makes gripping things a pain. Be careful out there.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/stiches.jpg

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

http://www.usenet.com

arw01

Hey Steve..
Would you buy the other less often used Japan woodworkers chisels
again, would you save for the Misugi's one at a time?

Alan

Unquestionably Confused

on 4/8/2005 11:56 AM Mortimer Schnerd, RN said the following:
Lowell Holmes wrote:

I have a band aid autographed by Roy Undrhill.

No value in that. He must have a million of them!

Yeah! C'mon back when you have a Underhill fingertip in a jar of
formalin. THAT will be a limited edition itemg

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
I have a band aid autographed by Roy Undrhill.

No value in that. He must have a million of them!

Yeah! C'mon back when you have a Underhill fingertip in a jar of
formalin. THAT will be a limited edition itemg

I know *I'd* be impressed.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Patriarch

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in
om:

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
I have a band aid autographed by Roy Undrhill.

No value in that. He must have a million of them!

Yeah! C'mon back when you have a Underhill fingertip in a jar of
formalin. THAT will be a limited edition itemg

I know *I'd* be impressed.

A Wendy's chili joke here would be in really poor taste, wouldn't it?

Thought so.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:47:12 -0700, the inscrutable Steve Knight
spake:

I was making a cut on a plane with my fantastic sword steel chisel from Misugi
designs. Been using it for a couple weeks since I sharpened it and it is still
very sharp. I did this Tuesday when the piece popped off and my wrist rotated
right into the chisel. Looks like it is closing up well but it can sure ache.
Makes gripping things a pain. Be careful out there.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/stiches.jpg

Learn to be smarter than the chisel, Grasshoppah.
bseg

LJ--whose thumb skin is scabbing nicely this week. (9mm "tool")

--
A lot of folks can't understand how we came
to have an oil shortage here in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer...nobody
bothered to check the oil; We just didn't
know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical
- our OIL is located in Alaska, California,
Oklahoma and Texas.

Our DIPSTICKS are located in Washington, DC.

Unquestionably Confused

on 4/8/2005 4:09 PM Larry Jaques said the following:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:47:12 -0700, the inscrutable Steve Knight
spake:

Learn to be smarter than the chisel, Grasshoppah.
bseg

LJ--whose thumb skin is scabbing nicely this week. (9mm "tool")

Browning Hi-Power thumb web destroyer?

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:32:39 GMT, the inscrutable Unquestionably
Confused spake:

on 4/8/2005 4:09 PM Larry Jaques said the following:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:47:12 -0700, the inscrutable Steve Knight
spake:

Learn to be smarter than the chisel, Grasshoppah.
bseg

LJ--whose thumb skin is scabbing nicely this week. (9mm "tool")

Browning Hi-Power thumb web destroyer?

Something like that. The little P-11 bites my thumb knuckles before
a single box is empty.

--
A lot of folks can't understand how we came
to have an oil shortage here in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer...nobody
bothered to check the oil; We just didn't
know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical
- our OIL is located in Alaska, California,
Oklahoma and Texas.

Our DIPSTICKS are located in Washington, DC.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Larry Jaques wrote:
LJ--whose thumb skin is scabbing nicely this week. (9mm "tool")

Browning Hi-Power thumb web destroyer?

Something like that. The little P-11 bites my thumb knuckles before
a single box is empty.

Kel-Tec? I've got one but it's never bitten me. The trigger pull has worn me
out though.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:51:20 GMT, the inscrutable "Mortimer Schnerd,
RN" spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:
LJ--whose thumb skin is scabbing nicely this week. (9mm "tool")

Browning Hi-Power thumb web destroyer?

Something like that. The little P-11 bites my thumb knuckles before
a single box is empty.

Kel-Tec? I've got one but it's never bitten me. The trigger pull has worn me
out though.

The scab is 1/8" in diameter, more a nibble than a bite. But say what?
You don't like a 4' long, 10.5 lb. pull? Gee, I wonder why. It's a
good thing to have on a piece which doesn't have a safety.

Yeah, it fits my hand just low enough that the curve of the body is
driven right into the top of the thumb knuckle each time it's fired.
I have to remember to put on either gloves or bandaids before I go
practicing at the range.

--
A lot of folks can't understand how we came
to have an oil shortage here in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer...nobody
bothered to check the oil; We just didn't
know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical
- our OIL is located in Alaska, California,
Oklahoma and Texas.

Our DIPSTICKS are located in Washington, DC.
Steve Knight

On 8 Apr 2005 11:08:15 -0700, "arw01" wrote:

Hey Steve..
Would you buy the other less often used Japan woodworkers chisels
again, would you save for the Misugi's one at a time?

I love the white steel chisels. they must hold an edge twice as long. but the
lower end Japanese chisels from Japan woodworker are fine. they just don't hold
an edge as long as the high end chisels. but they are far better then most
chisels out there. I am not talking the cheapest they sell but the white or blue
steel lower priced ones.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Australopithecus scobis

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:25:18 -0700, Steve Knight wrote:

I am not talking the cheapest they sell but the white or blue
steel lower priced ones.

Yah. I just got one Japan Woodworker branded chisel to see what the fuss
was about. Fit and finish were about the same as any other chisel in that
price range. My JW chisel is comparable to my FatMaxes, but
better than my Blue chips. Took about the same amount of time to tune it
up to useablility. The "hollow" is poorly ground, not tapped out (in?). To
be fair, it's the 1/8" size; maybe the tiny ones are built differently
from the wider sizes.

With my whoppingly huge sample size of 1, I'd say that the JW brand isn't
a good choice. For only a little more, one can get the ones Steve
mentioned in his post.

Shure is purty, tho.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com

Robatoy

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

Ouch! That was close to a nice-size vein as well.
Getter better soon!

I was freaking because of that. it bled like crazy then just stopped.

Probably some sawdust/wood fibres made their way to the wound,
coagulating and plugging the hole....G.. that bubinga is good for
that...
Steve Knight

Yah. I just got one Japan Woodworker branded chisel to see what the fuss
was about. Fit and finish were about the same as any other chisel in that
price range. My JW chisel is comparable to my FatMaxes, but
better than my Blue chips. Took about the same amount of time to tune it
up to useablility. The "hollow" is poorly ground, not tapped out (in?). To
be fair, it's the 1/8" size; maybe the tiny ones are built differently
from the wider sizes.

http://japanwoodworkeronline.com/041..._SITE/0013.htm these are the ones I
was talking about.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Australopithecus scobis

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 11:59:43 -0700, Steve Knight wrote:

was about. Fit and finish were about the same as any other chisel in that
price range. My JW chisel is comparable to my FatMaxes, but

http://japanwoodworkeronline.com/041..._SITE/0013.htm these are the ones I
was talking about.

Right. Me too. Mine is item C. You were referring to item A?

To Mr. Knight and anyone else, how do these hold up to tropicals? IIRC,
most traditional Japanese woodwork is softwood, maybe some oak now and
then (Odate's 'Spirit' book).

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com

Steve Knight

Right. Me too. Mine is item C. You were referring to item A?

To Mr. Knight and anyone else, how do these hold up to tropicals? IIRC,
most traditional Japanese woodwork is softwood, maybe some oak now and
then (Odate's 'Spirit' book).

right a or b are the better ones.
I just sharpen them to a 30 degree bevel and they are fine.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes