Bob

Default Trim Router Recommendation

I am thinking of adding a laminate trim router to my shop.

Need help choosing a good model? PC310 has good reviews, but I want to see what you folks think.

Thanks,
Bob
Never Enough Money

PC 310. It just feels better.

we have three here in the school....works great........no
problems..nice small router, I have one set up with a 3/8 rd over most
of the time!
Mike
www.americansycamoreretreat.com

Search the google group archives for some good threads on this topic. I
did and came up with Porter Cable and Dewalt as models with many
satisfied users. I bought the Dewalt and I am very pleased with it. I
think all of the laminate trimmers use about the same motor so there's
no differentiation. I felt the Dewalt was a bit beefier in
construction but the PC is an ideal shape and size. Both are good. You
cannot go wrong with either.

I bought it for trimming edges on thick plywood edge banding. Once I
got the hang of controlling it, its worked very, very well. I recently
bought a top guided pattern bit for cutting dados. My intent was to use
it in my Dewalt 621 router. But I found the laminate trimmer had ample
power to cut the dados and its so much handier. This is perfect for
the occasion when you may need to cut a few quick dados rather than
doing a production run with a dado blade in the table saw.

Bob

Unisaw A-100

Without a doubt the PC-310 but on the other hand I got the
7310 onna 'count of H*m* D*p*t is/was closing them out at
$70(ish) and being that I don't have a huge call for having
a trim router...

Unisaw A-100, who woulda bought the PC-310 but had already
spent this months check (cheque David) from the nice people
at the trust fund...

The Ridgid has plastic rack and pinion height adjustment. It looks
very flimsy to me, especially compared to the metal thumbwheel
adjustments on PC and Dewalt. Its also a very coarse adjustment.

More on the 310?
See the http://www.patwarner.com/pc310_special.html link.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:45:33 -0500, the inscrutable Patriarch
spake:

"Bob" wrote in
:

I am thinking of adding a laminate trim router to my shop.

Need help choosing a good model? PC310 has good reviews, but I want
to see what you folks think.

Thanks,
Bob

I love mine. Sturdy, and the body is partially enclosed, so my hands don't
go where they shouldn't.

There is a new Bosch out, which is supposed to be really nice. And IIRC,
maybe a Ridgid, too.

Hey, Glenn. _You're_ supposed to point them at the Festool or some
other gaudily gilded lily. _I'm_ supposed to point them to the frugal
best-value new tool, the $99 Bosch.

Let's get this right, OK?

Signed: Squeaky Jake

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Bob

Larry,

So you feel the Bosch is as good as the PC310? I read somewhere that they
have discontinued the alternate bases for the 310 and that does concern me a
little if true.

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

Patriarch

"Bob" wrote in
:

Larry,

So you feel the Bosch is as good as the PC310? I read somewhere that
they have discontinued the alternate bases for the 310 and that does
concern me a little if true.

It would not surprise me if the PC310 had a limited future in the new
DeWalt/B&D/PC/Delta universe. The PC310 has been downplayed for sometime,
in retail distribution.

I also have a PC7310. It's a different, more value-engineered device. It
would surprise me not at all for the 310 to be all but history within 18
months. No inside info, however.

I bought mine because I use these as small routers, more than laminate
trimmers.

Patriarch
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:45:33 -0500, the inscrutable Patriarch
spake:

"Bob" wrote in
:

I am thinking of adding a laminate trim router to my shop.

Need help choosing a good model? PC310 has good reviews, but I want
to see what you folks think.

Thanks,
Bob

I love mine. Sturdy, and the body is partially enclosed, so my hands
don't go where they shouldn't.

There is a new Bosch out, which is supposed to be really nice. And
IIRC, maybe a Ridgid, too.

Hey, Glenn. _You're_ supposed to point them at the Festool or some
other gaudily gilded lily. _I'm_ supposed to point them to the frugal
best-value new tool, the $99 Bosch.

Let's get this right, OK?

Signed: Squeaky Jake

Sorry. I thought you were the offical spokesperson for Chicago
Electric.

BTW, the PC310 was $149 + tax when I bought it. And special order at
that. There was a $25 rebate, which, for a change, I remembered to
submit. Seemed sufficiently gilded at the time.

Patriarch
Bob

Patriach,

I value your opinions highly from previous posts and wish to ask what you
would recommend if you were to go buy a new one today?

Many Thanks,
Bob

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Bob" wrote in
:

Larry,

So you feel the Bosch is as good as the PC310? I read somewhere that
they have discontinued the alternate bases for the 310 and that does
concern me a little if true.

It would not surprise me if the PC310 had a limited future in the new
DeWalt/B&D/PC/Delta universe. The PC310 has been downplayed for sometime,
in retail distribution.

I also have a PC7310. It's a different, more value-engineered device. It
would surprise me not at all for the 310 to be all but history within 18
months. No inside info, however.

I bought mine because I use these as small routers, more than laminate
trimmers.

Patriarch

Patriarch

"Bob" wrote in
:

Patriach,

I value your opinions highly from previous posts and wish to ask what
you would recommend if you were to go buy a new one today?

Many Thanks,
Bob

I recommend that you not tell my wife, because that would make 6 routers in
the shop. And she's already gonna be pi$$ed when she sees the new lathe.
;-)

I'd buy the PC310 again in a heartbeat, for my uses. If I needed the fancy
bases, I'd look closely at the new Bosch.

The PC is 'old school', and well made in the style of my youth. I like
that.

Have fun with your new toy.

Patriarch
Bob

hehe.... my wife don't even have a key to my shop

If she knew what I had out there she would cash in on it for a shopping
spree of her own :~)

Thanks for the advice as always.

Bob

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Bob" wrote in
:

Patriach,

I value your opinions highly from previous posts and wish to ask what
you would recommend if you were to go buy a new one today?

Many Thanks,
Bob

I recommend that you not tell my wife, because that would make 6 routers

in
the shop. And she's already gonna be pi$$ed when she sees the new lathe.
;-)

I'd buy the PC310 again in a heartbeat, for my uses. If I needed the

fancy
bases, I'd look closely at the new Bosch.

The PC is 'old school', and well made in the style of my youth. I like
that.

Have fun with your new toy.

Patriarch

B a r r y

Bob wrote:
hehe.... my wife don't even have a key to my shop

Mine does, the washer's there! G

I could die if she ever finds usenet!

Barry
Patriarch

B a r r y wrote in news:O8l5e.30900$hU7.12880
@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

Bob wrote:
hehe.... my wife don't even have a key to my shop

Mine does, the washer's there! G

I could die if she ever finds usenet!

Barry

I share mine with the freezer and the controls to the automated watering
system. She's going to figure out sooner or later.

It can't be as bad as the Sunday at church, when she found that there was a
bag of golf clubs in the back of the car, and asked why there was _also_ a
set of clubs in my den. I spent less on the lathe than I spent on the set
of irons, back then.

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:19:07 -0400, the inscrutable "Bob"
spake:

Larry,

So you feel the Bosch is as good as the PC310? I read somewhere that they
have discontinued the alternate bases for the 310 and that does concern me a
little if true.

Ah dunno. I was just chiding Glenn over wasting money. My
laminate router is a Grizzly, a free gift when I bought their
bandsaw and DC.

I've seen the ad for 'em, but haven't seen or used one yet.
Bosch does have a very good rep and an excellent power-to-
weight ratio (PWR).

--
A lot of folks can't understand how we came
to have an oil shortage here in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer...nobody
bothered to check the oil; We just didn't
know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical
- our OIL is located in Alaska, California,
Oklahoma and Texas.

Our DIPSTICKS are located in Washington, DC.
rhncue

Sweet!!! I like that.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building fine pool cues for real pool players at affordable prices.