Dukester

Default What are these Delta hybrids?

I received a new Tool Crib catalog yesterday and hadn't looked at one in a
while. Anyway I saw 3 different saws that look like Unisaws: ones labelled
"Unisaws", another marked "cabinet saw" and then a third type "hybrid saws"
Other than the motor I can't see what the differences are between these.
Are there differences (other than the motor)? Anyone using the cabinet or
hybrid saws?

patrick conroy

"Dukester" wrote in message

Are there differences (other than the motor)? Anyone using the cabinet or
hybrid saws?

Yeah - the DW746, I think, started the trend. Jet's hybrid is their SuperSaw
which I have. Contractor style trunions, 1 3/4 HP typical, etc. Yet motor
in cabinet like a cabinet saw.

Unisaw A-100

patrick conroy wrote:
Yeah - the DW746, I think, started the trend.

Actually, if we consult the ancient text the first "true"
*hybrid* was a Delta (1).

Now this saw lasted only two and a half years on the market.

Later, in the 90's, Delta released another
Contractor'sSawInnaBox/WantsaBeAUnisaw and that lasted up
until the turn of the century.

In the mean time, after Delta released their 90's version,
Jet released their version of the saw (onna 'count of Jet
doesn't design/they copy) and it has been in production
non-stop.

DeWalt did come out with the "newer" design that Jet again
borrowed designwise.

Now Delta is seeing the parade rush by and has again
released a Contractor'sSawInnaBox/WantsaBeAUnisaw but I
believe there's some Orion (2) blood mixed in.

(1) It's hard to say that Delta started the trend. Over
the years there have been many
Contractor'sSawInnaBox/WantsaBeAUnisaws by other makers like
Atlas, Walker-Turner and King-Seeley (Craftsman). Most
are/were pretty good saws.

(2) Orian makes the Contractor'sSawInnaBox/WantsaBeAUnisaw
for Sears. Orian is made up of ex-Delta employees and
there's some sort of thing going on between Delta and Orian.
In fact I think if you were to field strip both of their
machines you'd find a healthy dose of mixed spit in there.

Unisaw A-100
Unisaw A-100

Dukester wrote:
I received a new Tool Crib catalog yesterday and hadn't looked at one in a
while. Anyway I saw 3 different saws that look like Unisaws: ones labelled
"Unisaws", another marked "cabinet saw" and then a third type "hybrid saws"
Other than the motor I can't see what the differences are between these.
Are there differences (other than the motor)? Anyone using the cabinet or
hybrid saws?

The Unisaw is the Unisaw and pretty much the same saw as
you'd a found last year and the year before that and the
year before that and, well, you get the idea.

The Industrial Saw is a copy of the Unisaw made in Chiwan.
There are very minor cosmetic changes for the most part and
two major changes. One being that the proprietary motor
mount is gone and replaced by a mount that will take
non-proprietary motors. The other is that the arbor is
removable. The latter is a mystery as Delta hasn't made
available any auxiliary arbors. It could be that they want
to Euromarket the saw in which case they'd outfit that model
with a short arbor so no one there can use a dado blade.

The *Hybrid* saw is a Contractor'sSawInnaBox. It's
essentially a contractors saw with the motor hung below and
the top sitting on the trunnions/the trunnions hung from the
top.

There! Clear?

Unisaw A-100
patrick conroy

"Unisaw A-100" wrote in message

patrick conroy wrote:
Yeah - the DW746, I think, started the trend.

Actually, if we consult the ancient text the first "true"
*hybrid* was a Delta (1).

Cool... I stand corrected and educated.

I shudda known that there's really nothing new under the sun these days.
'Cept TIVO...

Unisaw A-100

patrick conroy wrote:
I shudda known that there's really nothing new under the sun these days.
'Cept TIVO...

Give me time.

Unisaw A-100
Charlie Self

UA100 notes:
The other is that the arbor is

removable. The latter is a mystery as Delta hasn't made
available any auxiliary arbors. It could be that they want
to Euromarket the saw in which case they'd outfit that model
with a short arbor so no one there can use a dado blade.

It's quite probable they're using some casting/machining set ups from
other saws. Several of the Taiwanese and Chinese saws have swappable
arbors, 5/8" and 1". Cuts costs to use old set-ups, doncha know?

Mark Cooper

Don't bother holding your breath for one of these Black and Decker
hybrids...I ordered one back in February.

Last week I got a call from the distributor where I purchased...they're now
reporting that it won't be available until mid-June at the absolute
earliest.

Grizzly got a call from me last Saturday, and my G1023SL is being delivered
to my doorstep tomorrow morning.