B a r r y

Default Rough framing resources

I'm planning on building a nice wooden shed. I'm not a rough carpenter,
and know little about framing.

Can anyone recommend decent websites or books on residential framing and
roofing? I have the Taunton shed book, but I'm looking for more
generic framing and roofing information to help me complete my own design.

Thanks!
Barry
Jim Behning

My library has some of the same books on their shelf that I have on my
shelf. Building Smal lBarns, Sheds & Shelters by Monte Burch or
Designing and Building Your Own House Your Own Way by Sam Clark are
two titles that can give you some ideas. Here is a link to one of my
pole barns. I built another little 12x12 run in shed for one of my
older horses. Nothing on that little project.
http://brookridgemorgans.com/ourpolebarn.htm

B a r r y wrote:

I'm planning on building a nice wooden shed. I'm not a rough carpenter,
and know little about framing.

Can anyone recommend decent websites or books on residential framing and
roofing? I have the Taunton shed book, but I'm looking for more
generic framing and roofing information to help me complete my own design.

Thanks!
Barry

Jim B.
Patriarch

B a r r y wrote in
om:

I'm planning on building a nice wooden shed. I'm not a rough
carpenter, and know little about framing.

Can anyone recommend decent websites or books on residential framing
and roofing? I have the Taunton shed book, but I'm looking for more
generic framing and roofing information to help me complete my own
design.

Thanks!
Barry

There have been a lot of framing articles over the past few years in the
Fine Homebuilding magazine, also from Taunton. See what you can find at
your local library.

By the way, may I offer a personal warning regarding scope creep and 'nice
wooden sheds'? It is pretty easy to let things get a bit out of hand, if
one is not diligent. An 8'x12' shed need not have double glazed windows,
glass paneled doors, lights and power inside and out. It ceases to be a
shed, and then is known in, technical terms, as a 'garden folly'. DAMHIKT.

Patriarch
FriscoSoxFan

Found this one in a thrift shop, but it's great.

"Carpentry and Building" Harry F. Ulry, 1966: Howard Sams & Company
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 66-29074

Just located it on half.com for 75 cents.
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...1856&meta_id=1

Thomas Kendrick

Go to Half-price books and look for the books on roof framing. Mine is
titled Roof Framing by Marshall Gross ($22 new). You will need a
calculator capable of square root, trig functions and at least one
memory. You COULD get fancy with a shed roof, more than a basic
gambrel with gables at each end, but I cannot imagine why it would be
necessary.
Walls made from 2x4 finger-jointed studs 16" o.c. should hold it all
up unless you intend to store in the loft above the work space. Get
the Taunton framing book while you're there.

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:11:30 GMT, B a r r y
wrote:

I'm planning on building a nice wooden shed. I'm not a rough carpenter,
and know little about framing.

Can anyone recommend decent websites or books on residential framing and
roofing? I have the Taunton shed book, but I'm looking for more
generic framing and roofing information to help me complete my own design.

Thanks!
Barry

Andy Dingley

wrote:

Can anyone recommend decent websites or books on residential framing and
roofing?

What's "framing" ? The stuff with nail guns, or traditional green
timber framing ? If you're after trad, then the best introduction
for shed-scale framing in the American style is Jack Sobon's.

Oh I don't need to ask you how you know that - I know that from
experience. An 8x10 chicken coop that has glazed top-hinged windows,
power, and even an outlet under the eves so the "dear hubby" can put up
xmas lights on it for SWMBO and her chickens. sigh

It was a fun project though - and I got a framing nailer out of it
grin

Teamcasa

There are plans and complete instructions for a 16x20 house and a 10x12
small house.
They will give you a good start and they are free!

http://www.teamcasa.org/download.htm

Dave

"B a r r y" wrote in message
om...
I'm planning on building a nice wooden shed. I'm not a rough carpenter,
and know little about framing.

Can anyone recommend decent websites or books on residential framing and
roofing? I have the Taunton shed book, but I'm looking for more generic
framing and roofing information to help me complete my own design.

Thanks!
Barry

http://www.usenet.com
Patriarch

"Teamcasa" wrote in :

There are plans and complete instructions for a 16x20 house and a
10x12 small house.
They will give you a good start and they are free!

http://www.teamcasa.org/download.htm

Dave

That must be a very satisfying way to spend your vacation time.

Patriarch
Teamcasa

That must be a very satisfying way to spend your vacation time.

Patriarch

Thanks, It is very satisfying. I also teach many people to use a Skil
Mag77!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:11:30 GMT, the inscrutable B a r r y
spake:

I'm planning on building a nice wooden shed. I'm not a rough carpenter,
and know little about framing.

Can anyone recommend decent websites or books on residential framing and
roofing? I have the Taunton shed book, but I'm looking for more
generic framing and roofing information to help me complete my own design.

Try the "How to Build a House" book from Habitat For Humanity.
There should be one at your local library if you don't wish to
purchase.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
B a r r y

Patriarch wrote:

That must be a very satisfying way to spend your vacation time.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. G

Thanks for the leads, everyone!

Barry

apply laminate to rough or smooth side of masonite ? ? ? [email protected] Woodworking 1 February 5th 05 06:12 PM
milling rough lumber [email protected] Woodworking 15 January 22nd 05 04:41 PM
Countertop Stove Insert - Oversized Rough Opening c.b.fernald Home Repair 3 November 25th 04 12:46 AM
Old Framing /Remodeling sk Home Repair 10 January 22nd 04 10:27 PM
framing / plumbing question eric Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 02:29 AM