Mapdude

Default Ryobi 14.4 battery bit the dust

So, what is the best approach? Break it open and fix it with new cells
or just buy a replacement?

Any suggestions on where the best prices for replacement are?

So far, HD is the cheapest I could find at about $24 for one
replacement. Hanen't looked at the amperage though.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mapdude" wrote in message
So, what is the best approach? Break it open and fix it with new cells or
just buy a replacement?

Any suggestions on where the best prices for replacement are?

So far, HD is the cheapest I could find at about $24 for one replacement.
Hanen't looked at the amperage though.

Last time I checked (at least 4 months ago) at HD they were $49 and not in
stock. They do not list them on their web page either, only 12V or 18V.
That is a good price. You can get the batteries rebuilt by Primecell and
they will have a higher rating, for $38+ shipping.
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

I replaced my Ryobi with a Panasonic 15.6V drill. At $24, I may pick up a
battery so I have a second drill.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Lobby Dosser

Mapdude wrote:

So, what is the best approach? Break it open and fix it with new cells
or just buy a replacement?

Any suggestions on where the best prices for replacement are?

So far, HD is the cheapest I could find at about $24 for one
replacement. Hanen't looked at the amperage though.

See if there's a BatteryPlus outlet near you. They'll give you a quote on a
rebuild.

Lobby Dosser

"Dave Anderson" wrote:

Take the battery to an Intersate Battery Store and they can rebuild it
with better batteries and do it for less

New, fits Ryobi 14V 1.9AH - $55. from Interstate.

Mapdude wrote:

So, what is the best approach? Break it open and fix it with new
cells or just buy a replacement?

Any suggestions on where the best prices for replacement are?

So far, HD is the cheapest I could find at about $24 for one
replacement. Hanen't looked at the amperage though.

See if there's a BatteryPlus outlet near you. They'll give you a
quote on a
rebuild.

George Max

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:06:51 GMT, Mapdude wrote:

So, what is the best approach? Break it open and fix it with new cells
or just buy a replacement?

Any suggestions on where the best prices for replacement are?

So far, HD is the cheapest I could find at about $24 for one
replacement. Hanen't looked at the amperage though.

At my address, I've rebuilt two battery packs. To be explicit, I had
an electronics buddy rebuild them with the best possible Ni-Cad cells
for the size required. This also required modifying the charger,
something that is within his ability. Today, it's far far far better
than new!

So while rebuilding is possible, it might not be cost effective. It
sort of depends on the equipment being powered by them.

So given the drill, saw, whatever, you might consider a new tool
instead of putting money in the old one if the cost of new or rebuilt
packs is too high. How high is too high? For me, 50% of the cost of
a new tool is the don't bother point. Especially if the new tool has
more/better/improved/reliable features.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

George Max wrote:
So far, HD is the cheapest I could find at about $24 for one
replacement. Hanen't looked at the amperage though.

So given the drill, saw, whatever, you might consider a new tool
instead of putting money in the old one if the cost of new or rebuilt
packs is too high. How high is too high? For me, 50% of the cost of
a new tool is the don't bother point. Especially if the new tool has
more/better/improved/reliable features.

Man, $24 is mighty cheap. I'd snatch them up. If I'd been able to buy Dewalt
14V batteries for that price I'd still be using that drill instead of moving up
to a Milwaukee 18V hammer drill.

These companies need to consider the fact that customers won't stick with them
if their batteries are both crap and overpriced. When I'm dissatisfied with
performance, I don't replace with more crap. There are plenty of good
manufacturers out there to choose from.

Just the same, in this case $24 is CHEAP. I doubt seriously he can replace his
drill for $24... unless he buys hot.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

George Max

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:11:11 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

George Max wrote:
So far, HD is the cheapest I could find at about $24 for one
replacement. Hanen't looked at the amperage though.

So given the drill, saw, whatever, you might consider a new tool
instead of putting money in the old one if the cost of new or rebuilt
packs is too high. How high is too high? For me, 50% of the cost of
a new tool is the don't bother point. Especially if the new tool has
more/better/improved/reliable features.

Man, $24 is mighty cheap.

Just the same, in this case $24 is CHEAP. I doubt seriously he can replace his
drill for $24... unless he buys hot.

Well, yeah, $24 is cheap. However, quite often I read in here of
people being quoted very high prices for a pack for their tool. It's
those cases that should give pause.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

George Max wrote:
Just the same, in this case $24 is CHEAP. I doubt seriously he can replace
his drill for $24... unless he buys hot.

Well, yeah, $24 is cheap. However, quite often I read in here of
people being quoted very high prices for a pack for their tool. It's
those cases that should give pause.

Well, they do. That's why I no longer own a Dewalt drill. If they want to
screw me, first they have to convince me to bend over. So far, they haven't.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Steve

I have a 9.6V Ryobi drill that I've had for 6 years. I love the drill,
and for some things it's light weight and small size are just better
than the 13.2V Craftsman that is larger and heavier. It came with 2
battery packs, and one of them has died on me. I finally called Ryobi,
since BORG no longer carries the older battery packs. They quoted me
$45 for a replacement, which is more than I paid for the drill with 2
battery packs in 1999. I decided to pass. I've been considering having
the dead pack rebuilt--just haven't gotten around to it.

--Steve

wrote:

George Max wrote:

So far, HD is the cheapest I could find at about $24 for one
replacement. Hanen't looked at the amperage though.

So given the drill, saw, whatever, you might consider a new tool
instead of putting money in the old one if the cost of new or rebuilt
packs is too high. How high is too high? For me, 50% of the cost of
a new tool is the don't bother point. Especially if the new tool has
more/better/improved/reliable features.

Man, $24 is mighty cheap.

Just the same, in this case $24 is CHEAP. I doubt seriously he can replace his
drill for $24... unless he buys hot.

Well, yeah, $24 is cheap. However, quite often I read in here of
people being quoted very high prices for a pack for their tool. It's
those cases that should give pause.

Highland Pairos

I have an older Ryobi 14.4v and when my packs died, I definitely wanted new
packs, either rebuilt or new. The reason is, to replace this screw gun with
a similar quality one would cost in the $150 range. (this one has a 1/2"
Jacobs chuck, metal gearbox, and it runs pretty true). I got a quote of $30
or $40 something from BatteryPlus. I found the cells online and was going
to rebuild it myself when I found new compatible batteries at HD for $24. I
grabbed two and will rebuild my old packs when I get around to it.

SteveP.

"George Max" wrote in message
[...]

Unquestionably Confused

on 4/5/2005 11:39 AM Steve said the following:
I have a 9.6V Ryobi drill that I've had for 6 years. I love the drill,
and for some things it's light weight and small size are just better
than the 13.2V Craftsman that is larger and heavier. It came with 2
battery packs, and one of them has died on me. I finally called Ryobi,
since BORG no longer carries the older battery packs. They quoted me
$45 for a replacement, which is more than I paid for the drill with 2
battery packs in 1999. I decided to pass. I've been considering having
the dead pack rebuilt--just haven't gotten around to it.

First "decent" cordless drill was an old Makita 7.2(?)v. Came with one
battery, charger and case. Nice drill. Finally the Ni-Cad pack went
south and looking for a battery I found they wanted something like $45
to replace it. Said drill was relegated to the shelf (i.e. tool
graveyard). Fortunately, I did not toss it as I was inclined to do.
Within six months I spotted a cheaper Makita 3/8" drill with case,
charger and TWO battery packs (7.2v) on sale at the local Ace Hardware.
For $55 I picked up an extra drill and charger for the office and a
spare battery for the drill at home. More recently I picked up a 7.2
closeout special at the BORG for around $9.00. Shoulda/coulda bought
two but I just grabbed one.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:06:51 GMT, the inscrutable Mapdude
spake:

So, what is the best approach? Break it open and fix it with new cells
or just buy a replacement?

Replacement. I found one on Ebay for $30.01, delivered, USA Tools.

I tried making one good pack from two dead packs and while it
worked to some extent, the repaired pack goes dead within 72
hours and doesn't have the capacity the new one does. The cells
are, indeed, current-matched for capacity by the manufacturers.
The replacement pack works as well as the original, so I won't
be trying to repair nicad packs again in this lifetime.

Any suggestions on where the best prices for replacement are?

So far, HD is the cheapest I could find at about $24 for one
replacement. Hanen't looked at the amperage though.

Make sure you get the right batteries for the charger you own.
There are different types.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design