Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default More Segmented bowls - P1240151.jpg (0/1)

Segmented bowl from Poplar, Sapele, oak, and Purpleheart. The primary
tools for this are a miter saw, a scroll saw and a lathe. More
complete tutorial on how this is done is further down the page.

I am relatively new to doing bowls on a lathe, less than 6 months. But
I have been doing woodworking for 65 years. Lathe work is quite
different from anything I have tried before. So far I have managed to
master the sanding block and the scraper. It will be a long time
before I will be able to use the gouge or skew without tearing up the
project.

More pictures can be seen at

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Ray" wrote:

Segmented bowl from Poplar, Sapele, oak, and Purpleheart. The
primary
tools for this are a miter saw, a scroll saw and a lathe. More
complete tutorial on how this is done is further down the page.

snip
--------------------------------------
Neat.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4d82f170$0$10778
:

"Ray" wrote:

Segmented bowl from Poplar, Sapele, oak, and Purpleheart. The
primary
tools for this are a miter saw, a scroll saw and a lathe. More
complete tutorial on how this is done is further down the page.

snip
--------------------------------------
Neat.

Lew

Real neat!! Congrats!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article ,
Ray wrote:

Segmented bowl from Poplar, Sapele, oak, and Purpleheart. The primary
tools for this are a miter saw, a scroll saw and a lathe. More
complete tutorial on how this is done is further down the page.

I am relatively new to doing bowls on a lathe, less than 6 months. But
I have been doing woodworking for 65 years. Lathe work is quite
different from anything I have tried before. So far I have managed to
master the sanding block and the scraper. It will be a long time
before I will be able to use the gouge or skew without tearing up the
project.

More pictures can be seen at

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html

Ray, the segmenting is fine, but might I suggest you contact your local
turning club and get some lessons with the Gouge (a Skew would be a bad
idea here).
I also suggest reading Richard Raffan's " Art of the Turned Bowl" (and
any of his other books)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Segmented maple jar #2 Kevin Miller[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 November 25th 10 08:00 PM
segmented turning StephenM[_2_] Woodturning 8 July 27th 09 01:15 PM
segmented vase Paul Gilbert[_2_] Woodturning 1 October 19th 08 02:11 AM
Segmented Pot Greg G. Woodturning 5 January 28th 06 03:44 AM
Hot hide glue for segmented bowls mike Woodturning 3 January 11th 05 02:10 PM