mike

Default Hot hide glue for segmented bowls

I plan to turn a segmented bowl, first time for this. I thought hot
hide glue would be a good way to glue the segments. Does anyone have
any thoughts on this method.

mike

Ken Grunke

mike wrote:
I plan to turn a segmented bowl, first time for this. I thought hot
hide glue would be a good way to glue the segments. Does anyone have
any thoughts on this method.

mike

The main drawback is it's not at all waterproof.
Russ Fairfield has a good article on all the common glues:

http://www.woodcentral.com./russ/russ6.shtml

Quoting Russ:

"Hide Glue is not well suited for any construction of a segmented
assembly because there is no guarantee that a finished bowl will not be
used where contact with water and other liquids that would soften the glue."

Ken Grunke

--
take da "ma" offa dot com fer eemayl
George

"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
mike wrote:
I plan to turn a segmented bowl, first time for this. I thought hot
hide glue would be a good way to glue the segments. Does anyone have
any thoughts on this method.

mike

The main drawback is it's not at all waterproof.

Worse, heat - like the heat from sanding, may cause it to flow again as
well.

mike

Thanks to all, I'll use another glue.Probably Titebond 2
mike

ARTICLE: The Truth About Polyurethane Glue J T Woodworking 5 July 18th 04 11:06 PM
Glue Up - High Anxiety charlie b Woodworking 6 June 29th 04 03:19 AM
Undoing hide glue Robert UK diy 1 May 26th 04 11:56 AM
About Hot Hide Glue Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 1 May 9th 04 03:43 AM
Experiences hammer veenering? Paul Kierstead Woodworking 14 March 22nd 04 06:34 PM