Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Segmented Birch Bowl, photo 2

2nd photo of the birch bowl.

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org

Attached Thumbnails
Segmented Birch Bowl, photo 2-birch-bowl-2b-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

what a fine piece that is.
What kind of glue holds together all those pieces so well?
I am sure you have to plane the surfaces of the 1x2 or 3s also?
very nice work.
john
"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
2nd photo of the birch bowl.

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:
what a fine piece that is.
What kind of glue holds together all those pieces so well?
I am sure you have to plane the surfaces of the 1x2 or 3s also?
very nice work.
john

Thanks. I used Elmer's Carpenter Glue (similar to Titebond) - the basic
yellow wood glue.

The wood was milled to 3/4" thick and depending on the layer was around
1 3/8" wide. Segments were cut to appropriate length to archive the
diameter I was aiming for.

After the glue dries I run the rings through a drum sander to flatten
them, then glue one ring to the next. I used to true each ring up on a
disk sander or the lathe but it's easier on the drum sander.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

This is not "turned" rather put together in segments, and then sanded?
Different size rings layered and then glued and sanded?
pretty neat.
john
"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
mmunications...
jloomis wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:
This is not "turned" rather put together in segments, and then sanded?
Different size rings layered and then glued and sanded?
pretty neat.
john

No - it's turned. I cut each segment as a trapazoid with 15 degree
angles. These are then glued up into a ring. I run that through the
drum sander to to clean up the top & bottom so that they are nice and
flat. I then glue one ring to the next, one on top of the other in
ascending size. When they're all glued up nicely I put it on the lathe
and do the turning.

I'll post some mid-construction shots to give an idea of the process...

....Kevin