Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Segmented Birch Bowl, photo 2

jloomis wrote:
This is not "turned" rather put together in segments, and then sanded?
Different size rings layered and then glued and sanded?
pretty neat.
john

No - it's turned. I cut each segment as a trapazoid with 15 degree
angles. These are then glued up into a ring. I run that through the
drum sander to to clean up the top & bottom so that they are nice and
flat. I then glue one ring to the next, one on top of the other in
ascending size. When they're all glued up nicely I put it on the lathe
and do the turning.

I'll post some mid-construction shots to give an idea of the process...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska