Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Bentley and woodworking (2/2)

Attached Thumbnails
Bentley and woodworking (2/2)-bentley-02-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:34:54 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

(inside pic of Bentley dash)

What, a 4,500RPM redline?!? She ain't no sporty job, is she?

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:34:54 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

(inside pic of Bentley dash)

What, a 4,500RPM redline?!? She ain't no sporty job, is she?

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,
is to have kept your soul alive.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

FWIW, I've driven both the Continental GT and the Flying Spur a
few times. I cannot describe how smooth the W-12 engine is- it's
more like an electric vehicle in terms of no sensation of engine
at all, but the thrust is incredible. I had a Porsche at one
time, and either of the Bentley versions could have kept up or
even put it away. Yes, the interior is as nice as the power
train, BTW. The first of the Flying Spurs was a bit Spartan when
it came to interior goodies, but then they realized that the owner
of the car would also be the driver.

BTW, a lot of young people might think that the W-12 is a radical
or unique design, but a trip to any air museum would show them
what multiple bank radial engines were like. Merely truncate the
radials to eliminate the lower cylinders and you have the Bentley
engine.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:34:54 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

(inside pic of Bentley dash)

What, a 4,500RPM redline?!? She ain't no sporty job, is she?

Well, it *looked* pretty sporty to me. Here's another pic.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Attached Thumbnails
Bentley and woodworking (2/2)-bentley-03-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:34:54 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

(inside pic of Bentley dash)

What, a 4,500RPM redline?!? She ain't no sporty job, is she?

Well, it *looked* pretty sporty to me. Here's another pic.

Damn ... I think I saw that same car, in Elgin, Tx, at the Elgin Hogeye
Festival??

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Damn ... I think I saw that same car, in Elgin, Tx, at the Elgin Hogeye
Festival??
--

A hog eye festival?? I have never heard of such a thing.

Are hog eyes some kind of local delicacy?

And if so, how do they taste?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 12/10/09 10:36 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

Damn ... I think I saw that same car, in Elgin, Tx, at the Elgin Hogeye
Festival??
--

A hog eye festival?? I have never heard of such a thing.

Are hog eyes some kind of local delicacy?

And if so, how do they taste?

Just like chicken.
;-)
--
Froz...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:34:54 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

(inside pic of Bentley dash)

What, a 4,500RPM redline?!? She ain't no sporty job, is she?

Well, it *looked* pretty sporty to me. Here's another pic.

Damn ... I think I saw that same car, in Elgin, Tx, at the Elgin Hogeye
Festival??

Don't know about that; this picture was taken at Old Settler's Park in Round Rock, at the
"Texas All British Car Day" (http://www.txabcd.org). Put it on your calender for next year;
it's a pretty worthwhile event if you have any interest in British cars of all vintages.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 16:09:45 -0800, the infamous "Nonny"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It's a VW? Whoa! From the wiki site:

--snip--
Continental Flying Spur Speed

For 2009, Bentley introduced a Continental Flying Spur Speed model.
Similar to the Continental GT Speed, engine output has been increased
to 449 kilowatts (610 PS; 602 bhp) at 6,000 rpm and 750 newton metres
(553 ft·lbf) at 1,700-5,600 rpm - with a top speed of 322 kilometres
per hour (200 mph) (up from 194 mph),[2] making it the world's fastest
four-door saloon.[3] Acceleration time from 0–100 kilometres per hour
(0.0–62.1 mph) is now 4.8 seconds. It features enlarged disc brakes,
and an upgraded Bosch ESP 8.1 Electronic Stability Programme.
--snip--

Holy ****, Batman! That's a true screamer.

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,
is to have kept your soul alive.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 22:13:58 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:34:54 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

(inside pic of Bentley dash)

What, a 4,500RPM redline?!? She ain't no sporty job, is she?

Well, it *looked* pretty sporty to me. Here's another pic.

I hadn't realized that it was a 602HP/553FTLB monster. It doesn't
-need- the extra RPM.

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,
is to have kept your soul alive.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:34:54 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

(inside pic of Bentley dash)

What, a 4,500RPM redline?!? She ain't no sporty job, is she?

Well, it *looked* pretty sporty to me. Here's another pic.

Damn ... I think I saw that same car, in Elgin, Tx, at the Elgin
Hogeye Festival??

Don't know about that; this picture was taken at Old Settler's Park in
Round Rock, at the "Texas All British Car Day" (http://www.txabcd.org).
Put it on your calender for next year; it's a pretty worthwhile event if
you have any interest in British cars of all vintages.

That's only 30 miles from Elgin, and they had a vintage car show as part
of the "festivities" at Elgin, just this last October. Leon may remember
seeing it as we took a day trip with our wives to let them see a kitchen
we did in Elgin, and go to the festival.

Let me make both of us sick, with regret ...

I, as a young man, due to just being married and basically broke, and
while living in England in the early 60's and working at Heston Aircraft
Corporation outside of Hounslow (an old Spitfire factory known for being
the landing place of Chamberlain when he came back from his meeting with
Hitler), _missed_ a chance to by a late 30's Silver Cloud, CHEAP!!

sick again just thinking about it

The Rolls belonged to one of the directors of the company, had who taken
a liking to me as the only Yank around, and it had been sitting on
blocks, in a secluded warehouse on the factory grounds, since before WWII !!

I visited that thing on a daily basis while I worked there, and Sir
James (an ex Battle of Britian Spitfire pilot) finally quoted me a price
of 400 pounds Sterling, which was a little over US$1000.00 at the time.
I could come up the purchase price, but couldn't come up with the cash
to get it back across the pond to the US.

It was complete, but hadn't been started for years, had the lamps
removed and sitting, wrapped up, in the boot. Tires (tyres) were dry
rotted, but not a spot of rust, leather needed some restoring, and the
paint job was a little dull.

About ten years later I took a European discharge and went back to visit
family there, and attempted to look up Sir James, but he was gone, and
so was the car. Just my luck.

Man, I wanted that car! ... still think about the "what if" if I could
have just got it back from overseas. sigh

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 16:09:45 -0800, the infamous "Nonny"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I believe that the Flying Spur and Continental GT began life as an
Audi, but after all the Bentley plant puts them through, you'd
never know it.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Damn Karl, that's one of the saddest stories I've ever heard...
sob!
snort!
sniff!

I have my own sad story regarding a Porsche 914/6, but I'm too choked up to get into it...
..
..
..
On a lighter note, have you been to the car museum out in Rosanky TX?

http://ctmah.org/
(the website's not very impressive, but the museum IS)

It's out in the middle of nowhere, but it's worth the drive. Several old Rolls Royces (some
older than what you mentioned) and many other very impressive marques: Bugatti, Pierce
Arrow, Duesenberg, Cord, Auburn, Cadillac, Packard, Stutz, etc, etc. They even have a
Mercedes Gull Wing! A friend of mine from Missouri visits me almost every year, and we
never tire of going; it takes us about three or four hours to get through the whole thing!

However, the same owner recently opened up a similar sister museum in San Marcos, and he
moved some of the better cars to that location, so you might want to visit both places. :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

I have my own sad story regarding a Porsche 914/6, but I'm too choked up
to get into it...
.
.
.
On a lighter note, have you been to the car museum out in Rosanky TX?

http://ctmah.org/
(the website's not very impressive, but the museum IS)

It's out in the middle of nowhere, but it's worth the drive. Several
old Rolls Royces (some older than what you mentioned) and many other
very impressive marques: Bugatti, Pierce Arrow, Duesenberg, Cord,
Auburn, Cadillac, Packard, Stutz, etc, etc. They even have a Mercedes
Gull Wing! A friend of mine from Missouri visits me almost every year,
and we never tire of going; it takes us about three or four hours to get
through the whole thing!

However, the same owner recently opened up a similar sister museum in
San Marcos, and he moved some of the better cars to that location, so
you might want to visit both places. :-)

Thanks for the heads up!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08