Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bentley and woodworking

I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought
that this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff
they're asking huge dollars for could be knocked out by a good
woodworker in a day or less, IMHO.

http://www.bentleycollection.com/pro...cordPosition=1

--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
out of both sides of a drunken
Congressman's mouth?

The floor is level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nonny wrote:
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought that
this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff they're asking
huge dollars for could be knocked out by a good woodworker in a day or
less, IMHO.

http://www.bentleycollection.com/pro...cordPosition=1

Interesting.

I was just reading an article in the crapper this morning that endeavors
to quantify the taste in housing, furniture and fixtures, of those 80
million born between 1980 and 1995, who, by next year (2010), will have
more economic clout than any group in history.

Basic premise being understanding the wants/needs of those who grew up
being awarded ribbons for last place, and only taking "yes" for an
answer, in order to effectively build and market to the selfish little
*******s.

The conclusion: Ikea, West Elm, and Design Within Reach.

Either the fumes were getting to me, or that blows my hopeful new
business model completely the hell out of the water ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nonny" wrote in message
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought that
this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff they're asking huge
dollars for could be knocked out by a good woodworker in a day or less,
IMHO.

http://www.bentleycollection.com/pro...cordPosition=1

That is why we build this kind of stuff. But now I am thinking that I
should have charged more than $800 for the Jewelery box I sold 2 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Interesting.

I was just reading an article in the crapper this morning that endeavors
to quantify the taste in housing, furniture and fixtures, of those 80
million born between 1980 and 1995, who, by next year (2010), will have
more economic clout than any group in history.

Did you have you feet propped up on that new little table? ;~)

Basic premise being understanding the wants/needs of those who grew up
being awarded ribbons for last place, and only taking "yes" for an answer,
in order to effectively build and market to the selfish little *******s.

The conclusion: Ikea, West Elm, and Design Within Reach.

Either the fumes were getting to me, or that blows my hopeful new business
model completely the hell out of the water ...

BUT there are still those with money that know the difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
Interesting.

I was just reading an article in the crapper this morning that endeavors
to quantify the taste in housing, furniture and fixtures, of those 80
million born between 1980 and 1995, who, by next year (2010), will have
more economic clout than any group in history.

Did you have you feet propped up on that new little table? ;~)

ROTFL! ... you mean those faux granite POS's that Blondie keeps coming
up with outta nowhere? Naah ... when engaged in serious business I use
only natural materials!

Basic premise being understanding the wants/needs of those who grew up
being awarded ribbons for last place, and only taking "yes" for an answer,
in order to effectively build and market to the selfish little *******s.

The conclusion: Ikea, West Elm, and Design Within Reach.

Either the fumes were getting to me, or that blows my hopeful new business
model completely the hell out of the water ...

BUT there are still those with money that know the difference.

Yabbut ... taste, lad, taste ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nonny wrote:
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought that
this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff they're asking
huge dollars for could be knocked out by a good woodworker in a day or
less, IMHO.

http://www.bentleycollection.com/pro...cordPosition=1

Spendy stuff, that. £421.28 seems a tad excessive for a match box, tho.
After following the links Tom provided Jay else thread to photos of the
elevator doors in the Chrysler Building, I went wandering off to look at
other art deco stuff.

These aren't wood, but neither are they £421.28 (I just hafta wonder
about that 28p - d'ya spose that's their profit margin?)...

http://www.norcorp.com/design-alumin...tch-Box-Covers

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:57:24 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Nonny" wrote in message
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought that
this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff they're asking huge
dollars for could be knocked out by a good woodworker in a day or less,
IMHO.

http://www.bentleycollection.com/pro...cordPosition=1

That is why we build this kind of stuff. But now I am thinking that I
should have charged more than $800 for the Jewelery box I sold 2 years ago.

Maybe I should just add a 0 to all my prices?

My latest:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=36216269

I'm jealous of the interiors of their boxes though, I need to get
better at that. And finishing. Then I'll add the 0

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nonny" wrote in message
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought that
this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff they're asking huge
dollars for could be knocked out by a good woodworker in a day or less,
IMHO.

http://www.bentleycollection.com/pro...cordPosition=1

My name is Bentley, John Bentley. Give me 20 weeks to deliver and I'll
figure out how to make it!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

That is why we build this kind of stuff. But now I am thinking that I
should have charged more than $800 for the Jewelery box I sold 2 years
ago.

Maybe I should just add a 0 to all my prices?

My latest:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=36216269

I'm jealous of the interiors of their boxes though, I need to get
better at that. And finishing. Then I'll add the 0

Very nice Kevin!
What did you use for the interior?

I ended up using stiff/starched felt and cutting with a quilters rotary
cutter. I did this for the drawer bottoms and sides on 2 chests with 13
drawers each. No fun.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4080828302/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nonny" wrote in message
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought that
this was of interest to woodworkers.

I never thought much about Bentley and woodworking. Does it have a fold
down rear seat so you can carry 2 x 4's through the trunk? How about a
factory option roof rack for sheets of plywood?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nonny wrote:
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought that
this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff they're asking
huge dollars for could be knocked out by a good woodworker in a day or
less, IMHO.

http://www.bentleycollection.com/pro...cordPosition=1

I recently attended the "Texas All British Car Day" in Round Rock TX
(http://txabcd.org/) and they had a few brand new Bentleys on the premises.
One of them was a convertible with the top down, and I was able to inspect the
interior up close and personal. Complementing the gorgeous cream colored
leather was some of the most beautiful Bird's Eye Maple woodwork that you could
imagine, on the dash, and all around the perimeter of the interior. My initial
thought was how great it would be to have the woodworking gig in the Bentley
factory, but then it occurred to me it was probably done not by hand, but more
likely with the finest CNC machinery available. Regardless, it was some very
impressive work.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Nonny" wrote in message
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and
thought that this was of interest to woodworkers.

I never thought much about Bentley and woodworking. Does it
have a fold down rear seat so you can carry 2 x 4's through the
trunk? How about a factory option roof rack for sheets of
plywood?

I prefer the factory installed trailer hitch, using a home built
trailer to haul things home. What kind of person would put lumber
in their Arnage? grin

--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
out of both sides of a drunken
Congressman’s mouth?

The floor is level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Nonny wrote:
[...]

Pictures posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:44:50 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

Very nice Kevin!

Thanks!

What did you use for the interior?

I ended up using stiff/starched felt and cutting with a quilters rotary
cutter. I did this for the drawer bottoms and sides on 2 chests with 13
drawers each. No fun.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4080828302/

I haven't done the interior on that one yet, but what I do is just the
bottoms, and I wrap the fabric around a piece of 1/8" acid free
foamboard cut a little smaller than the drawer. It's easier to cut
the foamboard to fit than the fabric, and then you just press it in
and get nice crisp edges. I've started making ring bars too now and
that is a royal pain.

-Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Nonny" wrote in message
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought that
this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff they're asking
huge dollars for could be knocked out by a good woodworker in a day or
less, IMHO.

http://www.bentleycollection.com/pro...cordPosition=1

That is why we build this kind of stuff. But now I am thinking that I
should have charged more than $800 for the Jewelery box I sold 2 years
ago.

Maybe I should just add a 0 to all my prices?

My latest:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=36216269

Very interesting design.

I'm jealous of the interiors of their boxes though, I need to get
better at that. And finishing. Then I'll add the 0

Don't know about adding a zero, but certainly that's definitely worth way
more than $50.

-Kevin

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:09:14 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Very interesting design.

Thanks!

I'm jealous of the interiors of their boxes though, I need to get
better at that. And finishing. Then I'll add the 0

Don't know about adding a zero, but certainly that's definitely worth way
more than $50.

I think you were looking at the shipping

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Kevin wrote:

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:09:14 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Very interesting design.

Thanks!

I'm jealous of the interiors of their boxes though, I need to get
better at that. And finishing. Then I'll add the 0

Don't know about adding a zero, but certainly that's definitely worth
way
more than $50.

I think you were looking at the shipping

DOH!

-Kevin

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 7, 2:19*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought
that this was of interest to woodworkers. *Some of the stuff
they're asking huge dollars for could be knocked out by a good
woodworker in a day or less, IMHO.

http://www.bentleycollection.com/pro...007956&strPare....

What sort of cheap ******* are you that you're not willing to pop for
$1000 for a wood ashtray?! There's a recovery going on and you have
to do YOUR part to aid in stimulating the economy. So blow the dust
out of the wallet, cough up some dough and buy one of each item on
that page. Bank of America will thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 7, 2:51*pm, Swingman wrote:

I was just reading an article in the crapper this morning that endeavors
to quantify the taste in housing, furniture and fixtures, of those 80
million born between 1980 and 1995, who, by next year (2010), will have
more economic clout than any group in history.

Basic premise being understanding the wants/needs of those who grew up
being awarded ribbons for last place, and only taking "yes" for an
answer, in order to effectively build and market to the selfish little
*******s.

The conclusion: Ikea, West Elm, and Design Within Reach.

Either the fumes were getting to me, or that blows my hopeful new
business model completely the hell out of the water ... *

You're not competing with IKEA. IKEA is creating your customers for
you. When the IKEA kidlets grow up they'll leave IKEA behind and go
searching for better quality. Quality never goes out of style...only
thing, sometimes it takes longer than the creator's (small C) lifetime
for the quality to be recognized. Hope you're not in a rush!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 2:19 pm, "Nonny" wrote:
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and
thought
that this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff
they're asking huge dollars for could be knocked out by a good
woodworker in a day or less, IMHO.

http://www.bentleycollection.com/pro...007956&strPare...

What sort of cheap ******* are you that you're not willing to
pop for
$1000 for a wood ashtray?! There's a recovery going on and you
have
to do YOUR part to aid in stimulating the economy. So blow the
dust
out of the wallet, cough up some dough and buy one of each item
on
that page. Bank of America will thank you.

If I wanted a wood ash tray in my car, I'd build it myself. Grin

FWIW and OT, we need a minivan to haul Mrs. Nonny's electric
scooter around and for when we get visitors. My "go to the
grocery store" car is a tiny Smart car, which I absolutely love.
The Smart dealer here in Las Vegas is also the Rolls Royce dealer
and the two vehicles share the same showroom, service department
and car lot. On several occasions when I've been over there on
business with the Smart car, I've been able to sit in a Rolls
while waiting my turn at the service department. The most
expensive one topped out at almost $300,000, including a fiber
optic headliner (simulating the night sky) for $12,000 as I
recall. When you sit in one of those buggys, the whole world goes
away and you feel you're inside a vault. Even though they're top
of the line and very nice, they just aren't something I lust for.
OTOH, the Bentley Flying Spur, with its W-12 twin turbocharged,
600 hp engine is something I'd consider selling a kidney to
get.grin