Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default New tool advise

New shop nearly complete. Tool buying time.
Need advise about what to buy. First big purchases will be a
table saw, planer, and joiner. I would like a joiner larger than
the six inch one I had before. One of the important things for
me is the ease of changing and aligning the blades. The Rigid
joiner I had before required a slow tedious process to get the
new blades aligned. My new shop is wired for 110 and 220 volts.
Of course, affordability is important.
Suggestion and advice please on these and any other tool
purchases would be greatly appreciated.

George (aka Bumhead)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

bumhead wrote in
:

New shop nearly complete. Tool buying time.
Need advise about what to buy. First big purchases will be a
table saw, planer, and joiner. I would like a joiner larger than
the six inch one I had before. One of the important things for
me is the ease of changing and aligning the blades. The Rigid
joiner I had before required a slow tedious process to get the
new blades aligned. My new shop is wired for 110 and 220 volts.
Of course, affordability is important.
Suggestion and advice please on these and any other tool
purchases would be greatly appreciated.

George (aka Bumhead)

My advice would be to post this over in the wRECk. Many more people read
rec.woodworking than a.b.p.w..

I'm a big fan of the Ridgid TS3660, but wasn't that impressed when I
played with the new granite topped Ridgid table saw. I haven't actually
used it, but it seems like the fit and finish aren't as good.

Last time I was at Lowes, I noticed they dropped the price on the DeWalt
735 planer. It's now $599 instead of $649. (I think they raised the
price about 6 months ago.)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"bumhead" wrote in message
New shop nearly complete. Tool buying time.
Need advise about what to buy. First big purchases will be a
table saw, planer, and joiner. I would like a joiner larger than
the six inch one I had before. One of the important things for
me is the ease of changing and aligning the blades. The Rigid
joiner I had before required a slow tedious process to get the
new blades aligned. My new shop is wired for 110 and 220 volts.
Of course, affordability is important.
Suggestion and advice please on these and any other tool
purchases would be greatly appreciated.

George (aka Bumhead)

I'd go with one of the SawStop table saws. I have had a jointer for about
25 years ,have decided to get rid of it and will not replace it in the
foreseeable future. Unless you are buying twisted or warped rough sawn
lumber a planer and jig can replace a jointer for prepping stock. My stock
purchases are mainly s2s and or s3s lumber.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 19 Jul 2009 07:29:49 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

bumhead wrote in
:

[...]

Never! buy DeWalt/BlacknDecker or Ridgid new I think they are all
owned by the same conglomorite these days and everthing they make is
consumer crap. All their parts are interchangeable. I have an older
model of the Delta Unisaw before they went offshore and I love it! I
would suggest to research who is still mfg in the states and stick
with the originators of whatever tool you need. Course harbor freight
is great for whatever you use infrequently. My use is professional
daily and I can't afford the down time..whatever applies for your use.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In ,
bumhead spewed forth:
New shop nearly complete. Tool buying time.
Need advise about what to buy. First big purchases will be a
table saw, planer, and joiner. I would like a joiner larger than
the six inch one I had before. One of the important things for
me is the ease of changing and aligning the blades. The Rigid
joiner I had before required a slow tedious process to get the
new blades aligned. My new shop is wired for 110 and 220 volts.
Of course, affordability is important.
Suggestion and advice please on these and any other tool
purchases would be greatly appreciated.

George (aka Bumhead)

Personally, I'd look on craigslist for some older equip when it was built
to last and worth refurbishing if needed.
jmo

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Digger" wrote in message
On 19 Jul 2009 07:29:49 GMT, Puckdropper

Never! buy DeWalt/BlacknDecker or Ridgid new I think they are all
owned by the same conglomorite these days and everthing they make is
consumer crap. All their parts are interchangeable.

I might have taken you seriousely but your obvious lack of knolwdge
indicated by that sentence discounts everything you said after that.