Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Drill Press Table & Fence

I finally decided to replace the particle DP top that came with my Rockwell
radial DP 30 years ago. I have been wanting a simpler way to attach a fence
with out having to use clamps. I also wanted a way to attach an indexing
stop for repeated hole locations. This comes in particular handy when
building kitchen cabinet doors and drilling the 35mm holes for the Euro
hinges, over and over and....
Anyway, this design was primarily inspired by a plan in a 2006 issue of Shop
Notes. I modified the original plan using Sketchup and used my own cheaper
version of a fence. It has a replaceable sacrificial plate to allow
drilling into the table with out permanent damage. Because the is a radial
DP with an arm travel of about 16" this sacrificial plate had to be longer
than the normal replicable plate. This particular plate simply separates
the left and right top sides of the table and the plate simply slides out
the front side of the table.

If any one is interested I can e-mail you the Sketchup file.

Attached Thumbnails
Drill Press Table & Fence-2009_03180008-small-jpg  Drill Press Table & Fence-2009_03180010-small-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_03180014 (Small).JPG (59.0 KB, 113 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

I got the SU file ... I'm interest in _you_ making me one!

Just kidding ... well done! Looks nothing like the one I have. Afraid my
taxes would go up if HCAD saw me with something like that.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Looks good, Leon.. I like your sliding stop block.. I didn't install a
t-track in my fence and have thought about going back and putting one for
using a stop block; however, the sliding stop block design your using may be
a quicker/better solution.. Also your sacrificial plate will be easy to
replace as opposed to the square rounded corner one I have. I tend to put a
piece of sacrificial plywood over it and rarely drill into it. Yours since
its so easy to rip a new one will be more user friendly.. Nice design..

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Looks good, Leon.. I like your sliding stop block.. I didn't install a
t-track in my fence and have thought about going back and putting one for
using a stop block; however, the sliding stop block design your using may
be a quicker/better solution.. Also your sacrificial plate will be easy
to replace as opposed to the square rounded corner one I have. I tend to
put a piece of sacrificial plywood over it and rarely drill into it.
Yours since its so easy to rip a new one will be more user friendly..
Nice design..

Thank you Jim,

I have to give the credit of the sacrificial plate to Wood Smith magazine.
The fence and stop are my design/idea.
The beauty of the sacrificial plate is that you can slide it to any position
and renew the surface several times before it becomes unusable. On a fixed
location plate a large hole will pretty much require replacement before
drilling a small hole.

Oddly, the MDF sacrificial plate started out at more than 3/4" thick. It
measured out to 97/128" thick. I had to run it through my drum sander until
it was the same thickness as the top panels. Having to sand it was not so
much a surprise however the fact that it was actually thicker than 3/4"
surprised me. Strange that I have not noticed this before however I have
some MDF router table fence blanks that I made 7 or 8 years ago that measure
out 97/128" also,

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
I finally decided to replace the particle DP top that came with my

Rockwell
radial DP 30 years ago. I have been wanting a simpler way to attach a

fence
with out having to use clamps.

Just a quick question about your use of the T-track. I'm assuming the
fence
clamps to it by an expanding friction fit device. What device did you use?

I'd appreciate a copy of your SketchUp design for this table.

Thanks.

I used T-Track bolts in the tracks, similar to the bolts used to hold a
water closet/commode in place.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21276

The file is on its way.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
I used T-Track bolts in the tracks, similar to the bolts used to hold a
water closet/commode in place.

Ok that makes more sense. I wasn't able to make out the T-slots in your
pictures and thought it was just a plain track with 90° corners.

The file is on its way.

Appreciate it Leon.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Rusty" wrote in message
Very nice table. I can't help but notice the pet octopus in the
background. You should conceder a fused power bar.

Actually, the cords you see are a short extension cord, a battery charger,
a portable magnetic lamp with a 13 watt compact florescent bulb, the drill
press, the router in the router table, and the dust collector. The 6-way
plug is rated for more amps than the 15 amp circuit that it is plugged into.
Basically every thing with the exception of the dust collector and router
are very low amp rated items. Seldom are more than a couple of the plugged
in items being used at the same time.
I don't trip the 15 amp breaker unless the dust collector, router cutting
raised panels, fan on the extension cord and compressor are running at the
same time. The compressor is on a separate plug on the same circuit and I
try to keep it turned off unless I am using it. My drum sander plugs into a
separate 20 amp outlet.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Rusty" wrote in message
Very nice table. I can't help but notice the pet octopus in the

background.
You should consider a fused power bar.

That's funny. Leon, you should be ashamed of yourself. With all the fine
woodworking machinery you've got on hand, one would think that you'd have
bought yourself something a little bit more grand when it comes to
powering
that equipment.

I don't care how it looks as long as it is safe and works reliably. ;!)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

I don't care how it looks as long as it is safe and works reliably. ;!)

Doncha know Leon, presentation is everything. Perception is reality. It
must look good. Or the fashion police will decend upon you and publically
humiliate you. Be afraid. Be very afraid! ;-)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

I don't care how it looks as long as it is safe and works reliably. ;!)

Doncha know Leon, presentation is everything. Perception is reality. It
must look good. Or the fashion police will decend upon you and publically
humiliate you. Be afraid. Be very afraid! ;-)

LOL, Yeah when they show up I will distract them by drawing their attention
to what I am building. Then they will be mesmerized with awe or maybe shock
and awe.

That's my plan.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

My drill press has been a constant source of frustration for a while now. I
use it "enough" to curse on occasion but not so much that the drill police
will come visiting. I like the t-track and wonder why I didn't consider it
when that is what "makes" the router table I built. The SU file would be
most appreciated.

Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

Dripp Press Table , Fence, and Indexing Stop Leon Woodworking 8 March 19th 09 03:03 AM
new table for a new drill press C & S Woodworking Plans and Photos 1 October 14th 08 11:19 PM
Drill Press Fence asmurff Woodworking 6 March 24th 07 09:35 PM
Drill press table and fence update Morris Dovey Woodworking 1 January 29th 06 11:01 AM
Drill press table and fence update Morris Dovey Woodworking 5 January 29th 06 03:59 AM